Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is basement hosting a good idea? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is basement hosting a good idea?

2»

Comments

• @Dazzle said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@Dazzle said:
    100 Mbps, where? Indonesia?

Lol, I like your joke..

No joke. I assumed he is Indonesian by searching his username, Indonesian name.

Practically, what he think is doable. He can achieve that with cheap price, similar what on my mind some times ago.

Let's say, he got Telkom Indihome 100Mbps and got dynamic public IP (by default), he can do hosting on his home. Lot of people done this before. Here are some:

http://cbtsmkm2bjm.ip-dynamic.com
    http://152721301145.ip-dynamic.com/
    http://mandiritrans.ip-dynamic.com

100Mbps package cost Rp 935,000 (approx. $65) per month. So yes, his idea is profitable I assume.

But this provider Telkom Indihome, is rarely achieved 99% uptime in a month, so reliability is big concern. Also, you got shared port, so network sucks.

@wpyoga said he got static public IP, so i doubt it was indihome.. and indihome download upload ratio is 1:5, only 20mbps upload. Imho that is not doable for production purpose.

• Of course basement host is the way to go. Regular power outages, ISP ip in all major blacklists, disconnect after ISP aknowledge that residential connection used for commercial activities. And the drama after all this! Ou boy, I would pledge 10€ for this project to happen and for the drama.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I would only do it for myself, not for hosting others.

• @paijrut said:

wpyoga said he got static public IP, so i doubt it was indihome.. and indihome download upload ratio is 1:5, only 20mbps upload. Imho that is not doable for production purpose.

Probably MyRepublic with 1:2 ratio (100down/50up). Static IPv4 is 30k a month and 100mbps residential tier is 700k so total is 730k (51 murican dollar).

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2022

Do not listen to naysayers. They say nay because they've tried and failed. They are just losers.

Now, be a man and just do it. A man never regrets even when he is going down in, literal, flames.

Do it. Show the world that you are indeed a guy with guts.

Thanked by 2paijrut yoursunny
  • Just dont use wooden cabinets.
    Else go for basement host.

• Do it. If it's cheap, people will buy.

• The provider will call you about the amount of your data usage and if you don't pass on a bussiness level they probably will close your contract.Same friend with a webdesign company have this problem without hosting any server.
    At the end if you have time to lose you can do it otherwise let it go.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I guess there are some big names those started as basement hoster.

There have been indeed a few hosts that became big names now. But those were in 90s where the gap between a basement DC and a real DC wasn't that gaping.

But this is 2022. The gap now is too wide.

• The thing is - do you really want to host what's on the internet in your house? What if you get the kind of customers, that host kiddie related stuff?
    Your wallet needs to be prepared for attorney fees, and you need to be mentally prepared that there might be law enforcement knocking on your door, seizing all the servers, as evidence.

In a nutshell - don't. Not worth the risk associated with running a public host from home.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Arkas said:
    I would only do it for myself, not for hosting others.

Sure.
    I run a basement closet hosting for myself.
    The dedi has Docker + LXC + KVM.
    All three can work simultaneously.

• Hi,

I've been hosting my own dedicated server, for my own sites, in my basement, and it didn't take long before I understood that was not such a good idea.

There are two locations I can actually recommend a basement hosting.

South pole basement hosting.
    Luna basement hosting.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Peppery9
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I've heard that dungeon hosting is the way to go.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • Only people loosing here will be end customers.

Just as they say, the House always wins!

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

only if you live in romania