Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/etc has mode 777 now Scaleway Stardust
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

/etc has mode 777 now Scaleway Stardust

edited January 2022 in Help

Hello,

I just created a VPS instance in Scaleway, which is the cheapest stardust. The image I chose is arch Linux, with command line:
scw instance server create type=STARDUST1-S zone=fr-par-1 image=arch_linux root-volume=l:10G name=test ip=none ipv6=true project-id=1234567-b49e-4faa-8733-89abcdef1234

Everything was fine until I updated the system with
pacman -Syu
and the package manager prompted several warnings:
warning: directory permissions differ on /etc/ filesystem: 777 package: 755
warning: directory permissions differ on /etc/default/ filesystem: 777 package: 755

Then I was astonished to find that the files have mode 777 now.
I can $ touch /etc/foo_bar with non-privileged account and some files like /etc/default/grub are 777 as well.

So, did I miss or falsely configure something? Is there anyone who has scaleway account and kindly verify this?

Thank you.

Comments

• Sorry, I cannot help you :disappointed:

From the GUI it says "Temporarily out of stock" and from the command line the server won't start - I assume that it tries to create it and failed because is out of stock.

Maybe somebody has any luck or already ArchLinux instance running to check that.

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

Stay away from Scaleway. Read the reviews. Besides bad configurations and low support, will also get your bank charged with more money, simply because they have a very bad habit of increasing prices out of nowhere for same services, using some sh_t justification. For them technology does not evolve, they increase prices just because they want to (on same active service), and this is the ugliest thing about them.

Scaleway was great when it was released for low-end ARM hosting. Over time it removed those small dedicated servers, became just another cloud provider, and increased prices for previous active cloud services (while technology evolves). They have no respect for their customers or for their promises/ideals.

• edited January 2022

Thank you anyway, @marian.
    One thing is for sure, the support swiftly replied my ticket:

Hello,

I understand that your instance is showing a warning after update.

Unfortunately, we have no control nor access to your server as you are the only administrator. If you created a snapshot or backup of the instance before the update, you can try to recreate the instance from that snapshot.

I'm quite satisfied with the speed and attitude, but actually, I think the reply was worse than no reply at all because she didn't understand my meaning and gave a solution which isn't helpful at all.
    I just created the VPS instance, started it, ssh into it, and updated the system, now here was the problem, and the support told me to restore with a backup or snapshot. I literally have no idea what to backup, because I just created it for less than ONE hour.

@default may be right.
    The cheapest Stardust has no rescue mode, neither can it boot from netboot.xyz. I'm wondering if there is another way to install arch Linux. Or I should just keep away for this.

Thank you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@default said:
    Stay away from Scaleway. Read the reviews. Besides bad configurations and low support, will also get your bank charged with more money, simply because they have a very bad habit of increasing prices out of nowhere for same services, using some sh_t justification. For them technology does not evolve, they increase prices just because they want to (on same active service), and this is the ugliest thing about them.

Scaleway was great when it was released for low-end ARM hosting. Over time it removed those small dedicated servers, became just another cloud provider, and increased prices for previous active cloud services (while technology evolves). They have no respect for their customers or for their promises/ideals.

People would do good to remember that they were and will always be online.net. I like scaleway in theory, especially with the M1 rentals really differentiating them from a lot of others, but I'll never forget the company that you'd have to beg to replace a dead disk.

Thanked by 2default Pruzilla
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Heed my advice, not.

Do not read reviews. They are all paid shills. Just look for the cheapest possible solutions, and go for it.
    Do NOT make backups as they cost time and money, both of which are too valuable to waste.

Profit.

Thanked by 1default
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ask_seek_knock said: The cheapest Stardust has no rescue mode

Whaaat. It certainly did have rescue mode in the past. Now I see they disabled it due to "technical limitations". I wonder what those are, since it is a 64-bit machine with 1GB of RAM, it should run any rescue system with no problem.

• @rm_ said:

@ask_seek_knock said: The cheapest Stardust has no rescue mode

Whaaat. It certainly did have rescue mode in the past. Now I see they disabled it due to "technical limitations". I wonder what those are, since it is a 64-bit machine with 1GB of RAM, it should run any rescue system with no problem.

You also like to use Scaleway and not have any backups, right? Living on the edge too?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@default said: You also like to use Scaleway and not have any backups, right?

I am not using one right now, I started typing a reply explaining what use case not having a rescue mode prevents, but your gif is too distracting, so I gave up halfwa

Thanked by 2default Shot2
  • @rm_ said:

@default said: You also like to use Scaleway and not have any backups, right?

I am not using one right now, I started typing a reply explaining what use case not having a rescue mode prevents, but your gif is too distracting, so I gave up halfwa

Here is the full song. Live the moment on the edge.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @rm_ said: Whaaat. It certainly did have rescue mode in the past. Now I see they disabled it due to "technical limitations". I wonder what those are, since it is a 64-bit machine with 1GB of RAM, it should run any rescue system with no problem.

It was disabled at the same time they upgraded the rescue system from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 20.04. The new one allocates 1GB to the tmpfs used for the root, for.. some reason. I think only a few hundred MB are actually in use so goodness knows why they allocated so much. For their 2GB instances that's fine but I guess "fuck stardust users" is their view at this point.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ask_seek_knock said: I think the reply was worse than no reply at all because she didn't understand my meaning and gave a solution which isn't helpful at all.

I think the speed and attitude are the measurable factors in support, how much it helped the customer, that is harder to determine in bulk.
    It looks like they understood you have some corruption, maybe because they are french.

• @Maounique said: speed and attitude are the measurable factors in support

In that case, most, if not all technical support should be robots.
    A simple programme that produces pre-defined links by parsing keywords or the variants would be unbeatable in terms of "speed and attitude".

Almost all VPS providers have knowledge base, yet personally I'm satisfied with Google's. The straightforward reason is the manual offers a clear answer: whether my problem is solvable or not, and how.

As for scaleway, below is the workload of it's second reply:

Actually, this is a known issue with ArchLinux (see below for similar issues) :
    https://github.com/systemd/mkosi/issues/358

As this is an OS related issue, we cannot provide support on it, it's bound to ArchLinux.

I suspect the lazy or clever or indifferent support just Googled with some keywords (platform + warning messages, that is +"archlinux" +"warning: directory permissions differ on /etc/"), then pretended replying the ticket.

What the xx? This reminded me of my retard ex-superior, who provided a solution which was the 1st item of Google results, yet not relevant nor helpful.

"Unreliable" is my comment on scaleway's technical support.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited January 2022

@default: simply because they have a very bad habit of increasing prices out of nowhere for same services, using some sh_t justification.

I agree with Default.
    Had same issue with increase in pricing out of nowhere! Scaleway is twin brother of Hostmantis regarding pricing (increase with sh_t justification)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2022

Fucking scaleway.
    Apparently the Derplet was to good, so they cut it down.

I mean for the 0.38€ or ish cents you pay, its I would say pretty good, apparently to good.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Neoon said:
    I mean for the 0.38€ or ish cents you pay, its I would say pretty good, apparently to good.

You get what you pay for. And then... all of a sudden... BOOM! - The price magically increases as if something wonderful had happened.

It may be 38 cents (+VAT), but it's totally unreliable and it comes packed with bad customer support. You will lose millions!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@default said:

@Neoon said:

You get what you pay for. And then... all of a sudden... BOOM! - The price magically increases as if something wonderful had happened.

It may be 38 cents (+VAT), but it's totally unreliable and it comes packed with bad customer support. You will lose millions!

Well, the support sucks, it did always suck.
    Except you pay for premium support or you paid xxxx figures monthly

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • After several rounds of communication, Scaleway's manager finally fixed the bug and compensated me more the enough.

I have to say that the StarDust VPS lacks some common features (OS re-installation, rescue mode, custom ISO, root password reset), which means when something goes wrong, there are few things helpful.

But considering the low price, kind managers, and Online.net's fame, scaleway is still quite competent in the face of multiple providers.