Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are there no cheap dedicated Ryzen servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are there no cheap dedicated Ryzen servers?

When i look for low budget dedicated servers i find some Intel Atom CPU servers that are ancient and slow. A server with an entry level Ryzen CPU wouldn't use a lot of power and cost very little. So: Why aren't there any low budget (<$20) dedicated servers with Ryzen CPUs?

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Because they're not ancient as compared to the Atoms?

• I think you can answer this yourself if you read your post again

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

Let's assume that a server requires between 50 and 100 watts of power, depending on how busy it is.
    Since we cannot foresee what the customer will do with it, we calculate with 100 watts: That would be about 74 kwh / month.

74 * 0,22 € / kwh => 16,28 € / Monat

And here we are only talking about the costs for the electricity. The purchase of the hardware, traffic, parking space, IP addresses and employees are not included in the calculation.
    Even if an energy-saving Ryzen server consumes much less than 100 watts, it would be impossible for us to create a $20 Ryzen offer on which I don't make any losses.

• Ryzen + dedicated

Cheap??? :D

• U know ryzen is expensive

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

Is this even serious lol

Ryzen 9 3900x / 64/128GB DDR4 / 2x1TB NVME

Talking as we are about to order our first 40 with these sepcs.
    these cost me arround 1400€/each.

even some small shit ryzen 5 16gb ram 1x 240GB SSD is expensive enough to make it not possible or at least not worth it because there are alot of clients that are willing to pay more.

Power cost in NL are arround 14€ for that per month. Not including Colocation. No traffic. No personell. nothing, just power.

And where are the taxes?
    IP adresses?
    Support?
    Licenses (DCIM management Software, whmcs...)
    List of costs to run a Business goes on

Also if a dedicated server provider will offer you some dedi at $20 or arround, they are probably not making any profit. Its just because they sell those cheap machines very fast (cashflow) and to grow their customer base // get their name out with the potential goal to sell you something more expensive later ..... (works out well) because actually the other customers are doing the numbers.
    Its not worth it even with old shit hardware. I wouldnt do it in 100 years. I need to eat too.

• @Lunics said:
    When i look for low budget dedicated servers i find some Intel Atom CPU servers that are ancient and slow. A server with an entry level Ryzen CPU wouldn't use a lot of power and cost very little. So: Why aren't there any low budget (<$20) dedicated servers with Ryzen CPUs?

Congrats on your 10th discussion

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@angstrom said:

Congrats on your 10th discussion

Is there any hidden stats feature which is shown with each person's post and I am not aware of it OR folks are simply too much bored that for fun they check each posters stats ?

• y is ur budget 2 low 4 ryzen?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Lunics - there is a solution for you. I believe @yoursunny still has space for dedicated servers in Antlantis location, where he uses free electricity from Zero Point Modules. Maybe @yoursunny can make you an offer if you ask him nicely; I don't know his status on that location.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I think it's sad that OP had to open this thread because it's not really rocket science.

Anyone who has an ounce of an idea on how economics works would be able to figure it out. The dude even answered it within his own post but doesn't realize it.

Thus, the end is nigh.

• @deank said:
    Thus, the end is nigh.

• mevspace has them for 50 euro a month - literally cant get cheaper than that

• @default said:
    @Lunics - there is a solution for you. I believe @yoursunny still has space for dedicated servers in Antlantis location, where he uses free electricity from Zero Point Modules. Maybe @yoursunny can make you an offer if you ask him nicely; I don't know his status on that location.

Hooke me up @yoursunny :wink:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@BarkingIron said:

@default said:

Hooke me up @yoursunny :wink:

We have colo at the South Pole.
    You can ship your server here.
    Electricity is free.
    https://yoursunny.com/p/summer-host/colo/

Thanked by 1default

Just a warning about @pushupsunny's service.

Once you send servers in, you won't most likely get it back because the shipping fee is so high that it's just easier to abandon them.

The last time I sent a pie system, it cost 7 grands to ship and 9 grands to ship it back.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

@deank said:
    Just a warning about @pushupsunny's service.

There is no such provider on LET.

Once you send servers in, you won't most likely get it back because the shipping fee is so high that it's just easier to abandon them.

That is the whole point. When you hold a server in a data center for a long time, you no longer want it back, because it's too old and the shipping costs more than the server itself.

The last time I sent a pie system, it cost 7 grands to ship and 9 grands to ship it back.

Why would you send a cream-pie to the South Pole? You can simply keep it cold and fresh with some ice.

Thanked by 2yoursunny james50a

Because, if I send a pie and he eats it, his username will change to @PieEatenPushdownLuna.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • LunicsLunics Member
    edited January 2022

Guys, chill! I just bought a used Ryzen 5 Pro 3350G with 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW and 16GB RAM for less than 200€ (i admit it was a bargain!). I figured it must be possible to offer a cheap dedicated Ryzen - perhaps a Ryzen 3 1200 with 8GB RAM? All i see is offers for high end Ryzen CPUs.

According to your calculations OVH must be offering all those sub 10€ dedicated servers at a loss, too.. that or they get a lot cheaper power (surprise!)

• @Lunics said:
    I just bought a used Ryzen 5 Pro 3350G with 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW and 16GB RAM for less than 200€ (i admit it was a bargain!).

Where?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@Lunics said:
    Guys, chill! I just bought a used Ryzen 5 Pro 3350G with 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW and 16GB RAM for less than 200€ (i admit it was a bargain!). I figured it must be possible to offer a cheap dedicated Ryzen - perhaps a Ryzen 3 1200 with 8GB RAM? All i see is offers for high end Ryzen CPUs.

According to your calculations OVH must be offering all those sub 10€ dedicated servers at a loss, too.. that or they get a lot cheaper power (surprise!)

If you’re going to bother using a ryzen 3 1200 you might as well just use an E3 1220v1/2 etc. Why would a provider buy new systems when they have old E3s on hand with similar performance to low end ryzen CPUs

Also to add to this companies such as Hetzner sell i7 dedis which perform similar to ryzen 3 and are cheaper as well

• If a family of kids on each end of your block is selling lemonade for a dollar a cup and getting more business than they can handle, why would your kids go outside and sell it for 50 cents a cup.

Thanked by 2cybertech 1gservers
  • Can anyone find cheap first gen Ryzen dedicated servers?

Hetzner launched with Ryzen 1600X and 1700X: https://www.hetzner.com/news/the-new-amd-ryzen-dedicated-root-servers/ but I only see the 1700X on their auction and despite having half the RAM, SSD space, and not being NVMe, the cheapest 1700X server is only 6 EUR cheaper than AX51-NVME.

• Yeah, like people have said, the power to run dedicated server like a ryzen costs a lot of money.
    But if you are looking for such powerfull CPU you can get a VPS with 8 vCores Ryzen 9 5950x, 16GB of RAM and 1000GB of disk for 24$.

Try it and you won't regret your decision https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=7 (it's OOS right now but it may come back)

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

Two things: power and hardware. A Ryzen draws more power = more expensive. A Ryzen is quite cheap compared to real server hardware, but it's still a lot more expensive compared to an Atom, which is too slow anyway.

I don't rate first gen Ryzen highly. Might as well use Xeon E5.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited January 2022

@Lunics said:

add another 256GB, 48GB ram and plug it in to 1gbps up/down and I'll lease it off u for 15/mth.

u will be rich in no time

• @deank said:
    I don't rate first gen Ryzen highly. Might as well use Xeon E5.

Yup, first/second gen Ryzen was meh, its on level of v3/v4 Xeons. Witt third generation (Zen2) they massively increased core performance & added more cores on top of that (8 vs 12).

Only good thing about these old Ryzens is that they support ECC memory, unlike Intel consumer platform, but if you compare them to Xeons v4 then meeeh.