Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I have my own ASN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I have my own ASN

jerry_mejerry_me Member
edited January 2022 in General

Recently I often see a lot of people in some groups need to apply for ASN, I feel that this is unnecessary, in DN42 can carry out various experiments, in the public network only need to provide me Routed Prefix can, for what reason must have ASN in the public network.

As far as I know, some providers offer cheap ASN application, the cost is only a one-time fee, and also provide parking service, that is, ASN and IP are handed over to them to manage, they announced, but not to transmit, so what is the use of applying for this kind of ASN.

If necessary, that's why, I have BuyVM with Routed Prefix, and a DN42 account.

And I can full view Internet BGP tables via private ASN.

Comments

• No, you can save 100% of your money.

• yes

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2022

How many nodes are on your network, and in how many locations? How many upstreams do you have?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Do it.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Go for it and who is this provider ?

• FractionFrankFractionFrank Member, Host Rep

Think this really depends on the use case however we do see alot of customers come with their own AS that don't really need one but just like the idea of running their own "network"

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@FractionFrank said:
    just like the idea of running their own "network"

Me too!
    I run my own Named Data Networking network (UDP/IPv6 overlay), which doesn't require an ASN, but has the same satisfaction.
    https://yoursunny.com/p/ndn6/map/

Thanked by 1jerry_me
  • Of course you must obtain your own ASN! You will be a toughest kid on a block, along with those who run their own mail servers and dns resolvers.

• NO. Try being a RIR. Then you control all the kids on the town.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Don't forget to spend a massive amount of money on certain markets to buy an ASN whose decimal integer representation looks nice to human eyes and with a number <0x10000 in order to increase your coolness. :sunglasses:

Or.. just do what you wrote and only buy things when you actually need them and not because someone wants to sell them. Even though in other context this might be in conflict with "LowEnd idling ethics". :)

Thanked by 2webcraft Logano
  • I am successfully idling all my services bought from LET providers. B)

Thanked by 2webcraft Logano
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Boogeyman said:
    I am successfully idling all my services bought from LET providers. B)

I do the same, but I am doing it privately, without a public ASN. Nobody knows I am doing it.

Thanked by 2webcraft Daniel15
  • @ManishPant said:

This is just a program that makes your public ASN idle and requires you to pay for it, you need?

I know that this service provider is in the Telegram group of DN42 CN.

• @default said:

@Boogeyman said:

I do the same, but I am doing it privately, without a public ASN. Nobody knows I am doing it.

Join @yoursunny network.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jerry_me said:

@default said:

@Boogeyman said:

Join @yoursunny network.

I am already a proud consumer in his network.

Thanked by 2yoursunny JasonM
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

So I got 7 ASN total as investment.

Most of them is 5 digits ASN. The plan is to sell some of them someday for a few thousand bucks each.

If you're going to get an ASN, maybe try to get a 16 bit one considering the value of 5 digits ASN is about to go up a lot more in upcoming years.

If you are lucky enough, you might get a special number that's gonna be worth a lot more than the regular 5 digits.

• @Shakib said: So I got 7 ASN total as investment.

Will you consider to release ASN NFTs?

Thanked by 2yoursunny Zappie
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Shakib said:

Most of them is 5 digits ASN. The plan is to sell some of them someday for a few thousand bucks each.

If you're going to get an ASN, maybe try to get a 16 bit one considering the value of 5 digits ASN is about to go up a lot more in upcoming years.

If you are lucky enough, you might get a special number that's gonna be worth a lot more than the regular 5 digits.

Damn, the United States Airforce has AS420

Thanked by 3Xrmaddness dosai Shakib
    edited January 2022

@MannDude said:

@Shakib said:

I got one ASN with 777 on it. IP ranges like 23.160.160.* is kinda special as well.

Some of my clients have been lucky with the AS number assignment. :smile:

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@jerry_me said:

@ManishPant said:

This is just a program that makes your public ASN idle and requires you to pay for it, you need?

I know that this service provider is in the Telegram group of DN42 CN.

Yes it will be helpful , if any of my client want to idle there ASN

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Shakib said: IP ranges like 23.160.160.* is kinda special as well.

I used to have IP 66.79.179.179 on one of my servers maybe 10-15 years ago (with a reseller of DCS back in the day)... I miss that IP sometimes.

@Shakib said: the value of 5 digits ASN is about to go up a lot more in upcoming years.

Why?

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • @Shakib said:

@MannDude said:

@Shakib said:

I got one ASN with 777 on it. IP ranges like 23.160.160.* is kinda special as well.

Some of my clients have been lucky with the AS number assignment. :smile:

There is an AABB:AABB::/32 that will also be very special.

Thanked by 1Shakib

@Daniel15 said:

I used to have IP 66.79.179.179 on one of my servers maybe 10-15 years ago (with a reseller of DCS back in the day)... I miss that IP sometimes.

I like easy to remember numbers. +123456 46**1 is another example of my precious numbers.

@Shakib said: the value of 5 digits ASN is about to go up a lot more in upcoming years.

Why?

You can't get a 16 bit ASN without valid justifications right now. Getting that justification is going to be more harder in future as pretty much all upstream and routers support 32 bit ASN already.

5 digits ASN cost around $2000 USD right now. RIRs could eventually run out 16 bit ASN as well and anyone who wants to have a shorter 16 bit ASN will have to buy an existing one.

• ASN Parking? lol wtf

@Shakib said: 5 digits ASN cost around $2000 USD right now. RIRs could eventually run out 16 bit ASN as well and anyone who wants to have a shorter 16 bit ASN will have to buy an existing one.

How does it cost $2000 right now? All 5 RIRs have 16-bit ASN in their free pool. As far as I can tell the RIPE NCC and APNIC happily assign one provided a proper justification, for absolutely no additional cost (obviously).

It's not like IPv4 where you must also have IPv4 to talk to other IPv4 hosts anyway.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@Shakib said:

@Daniel15 said:

I like easy to remember numbers. +123456 46**1 is another example of my precious numbers.

Why?

You can't get a 16 bit ASN without valid justifications right now. Getting that justification is going to be more harder in future as pretty much all upstream and routers support 32 bit ASN already.

5 digits ASN cost around $2000 USD right now. RIRs could eventually run out 16 bit ASN as well and anyone who wants to have a shorter 16 bit ASN will have to buy an existing one.

5 digits ASN is always free from RIPE, ARIN and APNIC, just do justification.

We collect 4 digits ASNs, which is more expensive on the market :cry:

• @Shakib said: +123456 46**1 is another example of my precious numbers.

One of my phone numbers has 32 and 98765 in it :)

Thanked by 1Shakib

@udonworld , That's the thing, people who can't get proper justifications and don't know someone like me, will end up buying a 5 digit ASN from hilco for around $2K.

https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales/asn

As I said, pretty much all upstream and routers support 32 bit ASN already.

Btw, @xTom are you buying ARIN IPv4 right now?