Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UCEPROTECT...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UCEPROTECT...

Sometimes I wonder why anyone bothers with UCEPROTECT list.
1 IP caused the whole ASN to be listed 1/15360 IPs, which is less than 0.1%

Does anyone know which providers use their lists?

Thanked by 1devp

Comments

• Google is your friend.

• Alex_LeoAlex_Leo Member
    edited January 2022

@chocolateshirt said:
    Google is your friend.

I googled many times. Mostly it's the same question being asked. I've yet to see any concreate evidence anyone using them. Hence the question. But yeah I know they are using extortion like tactics.

• @Alex_Leo said: Does anyone know which providers use their lists?

Any sane provider use Uce L1 list. L2 used by those who love risks and L3 used by the idiots.

Uce is very good when you pay for their anti-spam solution. Work ethics of uce owner is questionable, but he has decent track record against spammers.

Thanked by 1Alex_Leo
  • @LTniger said:

@Alex_Leo said: Does anyone know which providers use their lists?

Any sane provider use Uce L1 list. L2 used by those who love risks and L3 used by the idiots.

Uce is very good when you pay for their anti-spam solution. Work ethics of uce owner is questionable, but he has decent track record against spammers.

Yeah L1 is fine, L3 is kinda weird, especially if it's a single IP that cause the whole ASN to be listed. You would think there would be an overall threshold, 3% of all IPs need to be spamming to be listed in L3, 2% in L2.
    And the guy is so set in how he lists, I don't think he'll ever budge on how he does things.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2022

@Alex_Leo said:

@LTniger said:

@Alex_Leo said: Does anyone know which providers use their lists?

Yeah L1 is fine, L3 is kinda weird, especially if it's a single IP that cause the whole ASN to be listed. You would think there would be an overall threshold, 3% of all IPs need to be spamming to be listed in L3, 2% in L2.

My impression is that L3 mostly functions as a kind of pressure on IP owners/renters to do something about the individual IP addresses that cause the L3 listing -- in other words, as a kind of "heads up: there's a problem in your subnet that you need to attend to".

(But -- yeah -- no one outside of UCE is particularly fond of L3.)

Thanked by 1Alex_Leo
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

Using their level 3 list is basically equivalent to firewalling off port 25, and it's every admin's right to point their MX records to a server that doesn't accept email. Dumb, but their choice.

Literally no one is using L3. Never once have I seen it. So really there's no reason to concern yourself with the fact that someone made a list of IPs that no one uses to do anything with. If I type out every day of the year I'll type your birthday in the list, but you shouldn't take it personally.

Thanked by 2Alex_Leo alanbeta
  • @jar said:
    Using their level 3 list is basically equivalent to firewalling off port 25, and it's every admin's right to point their MX records to a server that doesn't accept email. Dumb, but their choice.

Literally no one is using L3. Never once have I seen it. So really there's no reason to concern yourself with the fact that someone made a list of IPs that no one uses to do anything with. If I type out every day of the year I'll type your birthday in the list, but you shouldn't take it personally.

L3 used by BOFH (bastard operators from hell). I don't know who could be qualified for such title, possible quadranet?

Thanked by 2Alex_Leo jar
  • bshbsh Member

UCEPROTECT list is a nonsense bastard

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@Alex_Leo said:

I have had a lot of problems with this blacklist and there is little that can be done. Either wait 7 days for your ipv4 delist or wait for your provider to clean up its ASN

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said: Literally no one is using L3.

I might be wrong but I think i remember some time ago one other list (aggregate) listed because of L3 of UCE. It was a list i dont remember the name, hence, probably even less used than UCE L3.

Thanked by 1jar
  • What lists do you use or recommend? For DNSBL and spamassassin, rspamd.
    Me:
    For DNSBL - zen.spamhaus.org, noptr.spamrats.com.
    For spamassassin - mailspike

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jonatha said:
    What lists do you use or recommend? For DNSBL and spamassassin, rspamd.
    Me:
    For DNSBL - zen.spamhaus.org, noptr.spamrats.com.
    For spamassassin - mailspike

bl.mxrbl.com

Use me ❤️

Thanked by 1jonatha
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Alex_Leo said:

I'm with you on this. UCE Protect is a bit of a nightmare.