Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you delist your IPs from blacklists? (consumer POV)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you delist your IPs from blacklists? (consumer POV)

LoganoLogano Member
edited December 2021 in General

I JUST found out about this. I thought it was always supposed to be initiated by the provider, and just a frustration to live with if your low-end service turned out to have a dirty IP. Turns out it's mostly quick and easy even as an end-user if your IP's last abuse date was a while ago.

I found one of my shared hosting IPs in 3 RBLs, and one of my VPS IPs in 1 RBL.
Both were listed by SORBS, and the shared IP by Barracuda and S5H.net as well.

The shared IP's last abuse was 4 cases in Oct. 2018 by a single shithead, and the VPS 2 cases by a single shithead in June 2016.

SORBS and S5H delisted immediately (needed SSH to delist from S5H.net).
Barracuda didn't update me on anything, but I checked a day later and the IP was already cleared.

I used the following services to check whether my IPs were in any RBLs:
https://mxtoolbox.com/
https://dnschecker.org/
https://whatismyip.com/blacklist-check/

Is this something you normally do as a customer? (obviously, I didn't, till now)

Poll
  1. Do you?38 votes
    1. Always
      21.05%
    2. Sometimes
      42.11%
    3. Never
      36.84%

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

As much as blacklists serve its purpose, this is my greatest peeve on the internet.

Thanked by 3Logano ralf TODO
  • Here is another blacklist checker: https://multirbl.valli.org/

Sometimes the entire IP block is blacklisted and only the provider can delist it.

Thanked by 2Logano ralf
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Always. Simply because getting an ip blacklisted degrades the reputation of the entire network. A network with a bad reputation can be restricted to many services, resulting in reduced connectivity and functionality of the service...

Thanked by 2Logano titus
  • user54321user54321 Member
    edited December 2021

What cares about blacklists beside e-mail? As a customer I don't care and notice if my IPs are on a blacklist.
    Blacklists are so 90s even for e-mail they suck because you can jump hosts pretty much every minute with cloud hosting nowadays and blacklisting the IPs in that case cause more damage than it helps.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • Hi,

When I subscribe to a service, the first thing I do, is to check if the IP appears in blacklists. If so, I report it to the host, before installing anything, and they deal with it. If the IP is blacklisted during the period I was operating it, I take care to clean it myself, before releasing the service. Think this is a right and fair behavior.

Regards,

Thanked by 2Logano tjn
  • When I order a new VPS (get a new IP), I usually check the blacklists with HetrixTools, Mxtoolbox & Abuseipdb. Maybe I'm lucky and probably my providers good, because most of the time it's clean. If the IP sometimes listed in 1-2 blacklist, I try to delist it manually. After that I monitor them via HetrixTools. If I get email notification (exist IP got listed) is a very good reason to check deeply the affected VM and the blacklist report (there is a problem?), or just the whole IP range has been blacklisted because of other malicious users. (I not like the "collective penalty"). I ignore only the UceProtect blacklists (unreliable for me).

This is the one of the reasons (from the lot of), why I not like when a provider change the IP address for an exist VM ("IP address renumbering", "service migration" etc)

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @user54321 said:
    What cares about blacklists beside e-mail?

Email is still rather useful to a lot of people so “beside email” is a large “beside”.

Even if you have no need for email to the Internet in general because you are not running anything that needs it, you might have mail you want delivered to yourself for system alerts and such (if you run your own mail server you can whitelist your own addresses, or just not subscribe to blacklists, but many don't bother running their own mail server these days).

Also, other services like SMS gateways may subscribe to the same blacklists.

Blacklists are so 90s even for e-mail they suck

Many mail services use them, usually not as the only factor in mail sorting but still a significant one, so whether they suck or not you have to take care with respect to them if mail delivery means more than nothing to you.

Thanked by 1Logano