Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update to Debian Network Documentation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Update to Debian Network Documentation

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Some of Debian's network documentation recently seems to have been updated. 🎉 Please see section 5.1 of the current page at https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html for a very nice chart listing the components of a modern Debian networking system.

As recently as August 18, 2021, according to archive.org this page did not have the chart and contained a warning: "This chapter is getting outdated since this is based on Debian 7.0 (Wheezy) released in 2013."

The first archive.org page showing the recent update seems to be from September 7, 2021.

Please note the Tip which says that Debian network management can be done alternatively with systemd-networkd. In my limited experience I haven't learned of many Debianistas who are managing their networks with systemd-networkd, but I have seen one Debian systemd-networkd tutorial live on the internet. One of my LES blog posts has a link.

The old warning about Debian 7 from 2013 now seems to have been removed.

Apparently all this happened just recently in late 2021 sometime between August 18 and September 7.

If you are, like me, clueless™ about Debian networking, a glance at the Basic Network Infrastructure chart in Section 5.1 might be helpful!

Greetings from Mexico! 🌎🌍