Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrahost acquired by Epik? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Terrahost acquired by Epik?

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

That's quite a satisfyingly pop.

Thanked by 1afn
  • otooto Member
    edited January 2022

Honestly speaking, I wouldn't really care about the aquisition by Epik, if it was handled more transparently.

The way it's (not) being communicated is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.

All you can really find online concering the two companies is that Terrahost supposedly is shipping some hardware to the US? https://importkey.com/i/terrahost-as

Please just do a proper announcement.

Thanks!

Thanked by 3lentro pbx drunkendog
  • These are the threads that should be bumped, no double bandwidth for me.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • bump so the provider won't forget :)

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

That really sucks

• @caracal said:
    These are the threads that should be bumped, no double bandwidth for me.

Your bandwidth has been tripled.

• @terrahost said:
    Hello,

Based on Sibyl's involvement with Terrahost from their very beginning, Epik has earlier this year >acquired a stake in Terrahost.

Not how Rob stated it, he said "Not everybody knows that, but we actually also run a datacenter called Terrahost and we sell a lot of dedicated servers there"

https://blog.mollywhite.net/monster-qa/

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2022

@packetnext said:

@terrahost said:
    Hello,

Based on Sibyl's involvement with Terrahost from their very beginning, Epik has earlier this year >acquired a stake in Terrahost.

Not how Rob stated it, he said "Not everybody knows that, but we actually also run a datacenter called Terrahost and we sell a lot of dedicated servers there"

Rob Monster saying that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. But him saying that and @terrahost kind of hiding it and delaying a clear statement does indeed say a lot.

That said, the real problem goes deeper. I submit that virtually every and any company, especially those on the internet, can be - and probably have been to some degree - hacked.
    GDPR and other political and legal initiatives are nice and dandy but they risk to be kind of theoretical, because of reality and facts. When everything, starting from the OS (and hell, even hardware, greetings to intel and AMD ...), libraries, languages, and application is more or less rotten, what's the worth of GDPR? Black hats don't care, all they care about is actual real "fences" - and those hardly exist.

I remember the days when one of the arguments for linux being more secure than Windows was that the latter was a giant behemoth pile of code while linux was slim. Well not anymore; linux has become a monstrosity just like Windows.

Add to that the fact that pretty much all major panels and admin. software has been written with PHP, Python, or (and probably even worse) Perl with a fat layer of javascript thrown in
    How on earth could a provider be safe and secure? How on earth could they (and I know a few who really and seriously want and try) make sure that both their and their customers data are safe and secure?
    Sorry to bring bad news, but that's a pipe dream and funny or even really well meant political and legal initiatives suffer from the classical "give candy to a raped woman or to a widow" problem that is, at the end of the day those are post factum, and punishing someone may offer some emotional relief but your data are stolen, copied, published, deleted anyway.

At the end of the day we may differentiate between a__holes and good (well meaning) providers, registrars, etc - but virtually none of them really had a fair chance to really protect your data. Simple and ugly as that, sorry.
    And btw, all of us are a part of the problem too, because "the market", i.e. we want cheap products and that, sorry, also means that providers don't use experienced software engineers using adequate languages but cheap ones fumbling with PHP. Oh and add all the eye candy most of us want to that because at the end of the day the price for that more often than not is more crap and vulnerabilites.

So, yes Rob Monster is (or at least behaves like) an idiot, but the sites and apps of the well meaning ones aren't really safer.

P.S. "But, but, ... TLS, httpS everywhere?!" I hear some mumble. My answer: Congrats to having a $300 lock in the cardboard house plywood door! Plus, Sorry to bring bad news but hackers tend to use the easiest way in not the hardest.

Thanked by 2default AXYZE
  • It was the taliban drinking monster energy drinks that hack into epik.

• ascicodeascicode Member
    edited January 2022

High Fidelity, SC3:16:00: Hey Rob, the server this is running on, is it a virtual server or a physical server?

Monster: I think it’s like a, it’s a small project, I think we just put it on one of our VPSes. We do host a lot of VPS. You can check out Sibyl.li is one of our companies, and then Terrahost.com. Not everybody knows that, but we actually also run a datacenter called Terrahost and we sell a lot of dedicated servers there. But we self-host this. But we’ll put it on a bigger dedicated…

Unidentified, SC3:19:07: How much of your infrastructure is homed in Cologix? Is that like the majority of it, or what? There’s an invoice that was in the email thing, I was just curious.

Monster, SC3:19:16: Yeah. Almost none.

Unidentified: Oh okay. Yeah because that was really cheap, I was like “wait a minute”.

Monster, SC3:19:22: Yeah, almost none. That was for, like, one client. Enterprise client. We have another really big U.S. datacenter coming online. Really big. We can’t… the location will be undisclosed, but it’s big.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Where did we land on this? Fully or partially owned, or just false?

• Schrödinger's terrahost

Thanked by 2maverickp bdl

@MannDude said:
    Where did we land on this? Fully or partially owned, or just false?

We are, it seems, at "still not yet Monday(TM)".

Thanked by 1bdl
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited January 2022

@jsg said: We are, it seems, at "still not yet Monday(TM)".

Yep.

The question now becomes "will this Monday(TM) ever come, or will @terrahost take model on his ex-customer @cociu?"

• I think Terrahost's reluctance to address this pretty much speaks for itself. The silence tells a lot.
    It sucks, I really liked Terrahost. :disappointed:

Thanked by 3lentro afn vimalware
  • Just legal department of Epik (due to theirs 'profile') has a lot on the plate and something mere as 'LowEndTalk announcement' is pretty low on the priority list.

I deleted my tweet. I don't have a personal Twitter account and it's not something I want on our company Twitter.

I don't even care if they're owned by them, but at this point the suspense of not getting a response makes me curious.

edited January 2022

@MannDude said:
    I don't even care if they're owned by them, but at this point the suspense of not getting a response makes me curious very mistrusting.

Edit mine.

• I can't wait for the literal novel @terrahost has had time to write now.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

BUNKER HOSTED

DEDICATED SERVERS
    Secure Bunker Datacenters

It is pretty obvious who owns Terrahost now and which marked they target if you compare the old and new website designs.

Also the .com domain is registered with Epik, they now publish two US phone numbers, and of course look at their communication on this matter. No need for an official announcement really.

• This sucks, they were a good host :disappointed:

Thanked by 1afn
  • The owners banked on a project and they do not have any obligations here to post something. If clientele is not informed than this comes from buyer.

Ask epik why they didn't send announcement for their new client ring. Yes, they probably don't care. In that time, my server 9€/year still spinning nice and uptime is rock solid.

Borta, alpharacks, gvh and others gave me a good lesson - budget clientelle is the lowest priority on the list when it comes to money. Who will sue?

• edited February 2022

@trycatchthis said:
    Do you have a problem with the way the company operates specifically? At random I came across a hit piece on Rob Monster on CNN which makes me believe this is political.

It's just a bunch of liberal kids crying because "oh no's" a conservative company dares to succeed. That NPR article was complete political hit-piece trash. Rumble.com gets hit with the same BS from liberals for daring to make a conservative run at YouTube.

@Tion said:
    I don't like the direction they are advertising Terrahost. Underground bunker hosting attracts the wrong kind of customers. Sad to see them go this direction since they were a real gem.

I don't agree with your statement. It attracts people with little trust in governments which is many of us.

I've talked to Rob Monster by phone/email and like him. That being said, thank God the competent folks at @Terrahost are taking over for that clown who used to run Sibyl.li
    I would contact Marcelo Goncalves to order a server and have to remind him 5 times and sometimes still no server delivered. A total breakdown in holding his employees accountable when he should have replaced them. Rob did NOT put the right people in charge until Terrahost took over.

• edited February 2022

@TWC said:

@tr1cky said:
    So terrahost is affiliated with ecatel?
    That's nice.

It's actually very scammy: https://www.webmasterchronicle.com/2021/01/23/did-the-embattled-parler-really-move-to-ip-volume/

Your article is incorrect conjecture. Rob Monster very much wanted to host Parler and was excited the day they transferred their domain to him believing that he had a shot. It would have been a feather in his cap.

When Parler instead chose Ruessian servers a few days later, he expressed his disappointment.

• @LTniger said:
    The owners banked on a project and they do not have any obligations here to post something. If clientele is not informed than this comes from buyer. Ask epik why they didn't send announcement for their new client ring. In that time, my server 9€/year still spinning nice and uptime is rock solid.

LT is 💯% correct, the hands of @terrahost are tied as it is the responsibility of the buyer to make the announcement. Epik did send out an announcement in their Christmas letter, they have no responsibility to post in this forum nor even an account here.

I communicated with Rob Monster today & he will be making a 2nd press release soon about Terrahost. Here's Rob Monster's official statement:

"Terrahost will have a separate ownership and governance structure, which should make it open to all kinds of views."

See the screenshot of Rob's email here:
    https://postimg.cc/Pp2YVpwM

Thanked by 3reisenpai default pbx
  • Terrahost has knowledge, Epik has money. There is no mistake.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • @Walken said:
    Terrahost has knowledge, Epik has money. There is no mistake.

True, everything is fine. But you see: customers were not properly informed, by neither side. This shows a lack of respect towards customers.

A simple email message with an information about the acquisition, with some futuristic business plans of Epik, would have sufficed. Instead, customers have to gather information from LET or social medias.

It's like finding out your wife is having an intimate adventure, but you find out from pubs where everybody is drinking and jesting.

Thanked by 2jsg Walken