Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with raid0 on SYS SAT 32
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with raid0 on SYS SAT 32

So I found this link which explains how to setup raid0 on the server.

https://plaza.quickbox.io/t/setting-up-so-you-start-servers-for-install/443

If I do exactly whats done in the link above do my disks end up in raid0 configuration even though in the video the total size remains the same?

I'm just trying to use my 4x4TB disks in a raid0 setup. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• edited December 2021

You are courageous to have 4 disks in RAID0.

Thanked by 1Xrmaddness
  • @ask_seek_knock said:
    You are courageous to have 4 disks in RAID 0.

No important data on there! Ideally I'd like to keep the first three in raid0 and use the 4th for other backups via FTP. Is that possible?

• Yeah.. This just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Ya got 4 disks just set em to raid 10 like everyone else who doesn't want a heart attack from stress

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • @james50a said:
    Yeah.. This just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Ya got 4 disks just set em to raid 10 like everyone else who doesn't want a heart attack from stress

Can I put 1 disk for nothing and remaining 3 on raid10?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@plumberg said:

@james50a said:
    Yeah.. This just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Ya got 4 disks just set em to raid 10 like everyone else who doesn't want a heart attack from stress

To implement RAID 10, you need at least four physical hard drives.

• @plumberg said:

@james50a said:

You need minimum 4 for raid10 I believe.

I could do raid10 but I'm not really sure how to set that up with sys.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited December 2021

It is worth spending a bit of time with manual partitioning. If I got one of these boxes I'd go with a small BTRFS RAID 1 OS partition, and the rest mergerfs

Unless you really can't take the performance hit, mergerfs is a much better choice than RAID 0. At least you'll still have 75% of your files when a disk fails

• @dev_vps said:
    RAID 10 – What's RAID 10 And Why Should I Use It?

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/whats-raid10-and-why-should-i-use-it/

Do you have a guide on how to setup raid 10 on SYS server?

• edited December 2021

As @plumberg @dev_vps pointed out, you'd better setup as RAID10 lest future data loss.

@BarkingIron said: Is that possible?

RAID0 is certainly feasible.
    Let us assume the 3 disks are /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc respectively, then you may try these:
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=2048
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=2048
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=2048
    2. Create new a partition table with parted. Note that the 3 tables must be identical.
    3. # hostname your-hostname Do this optionally.
    4. Create the array with:
    # mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sd[abc]1
    Change or add the partition number accordingly.
    5. It takes a long time for disk synchronisation in the background, but you don't have to wait. Check the progress if you want:
    # watch -n 1 cat /proc/mdstat
    And you may want to check bad blocks when finished:
    # cat /sys/block/md0/md/mismatch_cnt
    6. If you choose LVM, then proceed with this
    7. Format the logical volume with mkfs.ext4 (or btrfs or other file systems).

Now the disks should be ready for OS installation.
    References:
    1. kyau.net
    2. Arch Linux Wiki

Please point out any errors or inaccuracies, thank you.

Thanked by 2plumberg Astro
  • @ask_seek_knock said:
    As @plumberg @dev_vps pointed out, you'd better setup as RAID10 lest future data loss.

@BarkingIron said: Is that possible?

RAID0 is certainly feasible.
    Let us assume the 3 disks are /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc respectively, then you may try these:
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=2048
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=2048
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=2048
    2. Create new a partition table with parted. Note that the 3 tables must be identical.
    3. # hostname neutron Do this optionally.
    4. Create the array with:
    # mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sd[abc]1
    Change or add the partition number accordingly.
    5. It takes a long time for disk synchronisation in the background, but you don't have to wait. Check the progress if you want:
    # watch -n 1 cat /proc/mdstat
    And you may want to check bad blocks when finished:
    # cat /sys/block/md0/md/mismatch_cnt
    6. If you choose LVM, then proceed with this
    7. Format the logical volume with mkfs.ext4 (or btrfs or other file systems).

Now the disks should be ready for OS installation.
    References:
    1. kyau.net
    2. Arch Linux Wiki

Please point out any errors or inaccuracies, thank you.

I just tried using the SYS tool and did exactly what was linked in the first post. It worked!

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2021

@BarkingIron I'd use their installer with custom partitioning. while it forces you to have some on raid-1 just roll with that for 50 Gig or so and leave the rest unconfigured. after install finished you can convert that raid-1 which should be across all 4 disks into a raid-10 via mdadm and resize2fs command.

you'll end up having your 100GB for your system properly on raid-10 and can configure the rest via fdisk/mdadm totally to your liking (e.g. raid-0) and mount it somewhere like /home or whatever suits you.
    that way you'll have some kind of redundancy at least for the system itself over the cost of just 100G in total. but yeah, just an idea...

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • edited December 2021

@dev_vps said:

@plumberg said:

@james50a said:

To implement RAID 10, you need at least four physical hard drives.

Yes. But no.

“Proper” RAID 10 acts as a RAID0 of RAID1 arrays so you need paired devices.

The Linux RAID10 driver though supports using an odd number of devices. The data is spread so there are at least two copies of each block, with various options for how this layout is done. It is essentially a superset of what some hardware controllers call RAID 1E (with some options the layout is identical), and feels like the bastard child of RAID10 and RAID5.

I'm using it on a couple of arrays right now. Read speeds are at least as good as R10 or R5, in theory better than R10 if the array is unlucky enough to be in a degraded state because of the way the data is striped, without the write penalties of R5 (the redundancy is through block copies not parity checksums so there is no read-before-write hit), and similarly rebuild times if a device fails should be faster than R5, though the array's usable size is like R1/10's so lower than R5 (over three devices you get 1.5 devices worth of effective space, not the 2 R5 gives).

Setting up and managing a 3-device RAID10 on Linux with the built-in tools is no harder than with a more traditional 4-device RAID10, though many tools that try be a bit more user-friendly don't support it, including server install tools provided by dedi sellers so you might need to do a more custom installation.

refs:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#Linux_MD_RAID_10
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#RAID_1E