Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny,kamatera asks for video with ID on hand and picture of credit card on registration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Funny,kamatera asks for video with ID on hand and picture of credit card on registration

First sorry english not very good.
When I tried to open account , they asked for
1.personal video with ID card on hand,
2.credit card picture
What they wanted these for? to sell my person information including credit card to black market?

Of course it is no way I provide ID and credit card picture to them, but before these, I already signed up verifying with my email, cell phone(with sms verification), credit card detail info(enough for taking my money out just without picutre). I gave them so many information, wasted a lot of time registration. The result is NOTHING.

I really feel funny, Today even a small host company has encourage to ask customer for personal with ID card on hand and credit card picture like those big techs, Maybe they thought I am a scammer but I definitely not, I just bought other two servers this month, one is racknerd from this platform,they are good, the other is another vps from lowendbox . And these two won't ask for ID card,credit card or even SMS phone verfication like kamatera , and they are running well.

Thanked by 1rm_
Poll not found

Comments

• @1again said:
      2.credit card picture
      What they wanted these for? to sell my person information including credit card to black market?

No doubt they wanted to sell your person information including credit card to black market

Congrats on your first post

Thanked by 1gapper
    • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@1again said: What they wanted these for?

Verification of course.

Can't be for TikTok right?

Thanked by 2BlaZe bulbasaur
    • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
      edited December 2021

Thanks for the warning. They are not a crypto exchange to get to have demands like these -- but even those would usually let you have certain limits (as high as 10k USD!) before demanding any verification like that. For just a random small host, this is basically insane, absolutely unacceptable. Worse is that this is surfaced after you already enter all the data. Hopefully others will not waste time with them now.

• @angstrom said:

@1again said:
      2.credit card picture

No doubt they wanted to sell your person information including credit card to black market

Congrats on your first post

Thanks and that is what i worry about

• @DP said:

@1again said: What they wanted these for?

Verification of course.

Can't be for TikTok right?

Of course I know for verification. but that is too much right?
      Even if you want to do business on Facebook you dont hate to provide video and credit card picture.
      What difference is:
      1.at least big techs like fb,google,amazon at least kinda trustful(not selling your info), but a small host company?NO.
      2.You have to make money from the big techs so you have no choice but do what they want(this is sad but true), but not for a small host company,on the contrary they earn money rely on us.
      Maybe you would say then you can just not choose them, no big deal. Yes that is what I did, but first they wasted my time registration and though I didn't send picture, and they alreaddy got all other my info including card no. cvv experied day. second I believe some people still send pictures to them.
      If they are to sell to black market,yes they have very successful job, but if they are a serious host company, Not.

• @rm_ said:
      Thanks for the warning. They are not a crypto exchange to get to have demands like these -- but even those would usually let you have certain limits (as high as 10k USD!) before demanding any verification like that. For just a random small host, this is basically insane, absolutely unacceptable. Worse is that this is surfaced after you already enter all the data. Hopefully others will not waste time with them now.

Thanks for your reply.
      If I know they ask me for these pictures and video I won't waste a second to register. What I am not happy is they waste my time, take my information, finally I got nothing.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

That's the stuff that gives me nightmares.

• @1again said:
      1.at least big techs like fb,google,amazon at least kinda trustful(not selling your info),

Thats not true.

Thanked by 1jsg
    • Geez, you sure they're selling hosting and not some enriched uranium?

• @1again
      Are you from region with higher occurrences of fraud?
      That may explain why certain providers want to go for extra precautions to confirm your identity and validity of mode of payment.

Of course, you have the right to say no to such conditions and go for some other providers.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

The Kamatera offer cheap services and most likely, would like need prevent the bad people from registration. When host sell services for price over market then in most cases the bad people are passing by.
      That is main reason why TS have been asked for such type of registration.
      Facebook and other big players do not need verify you so hard because:

1) They offer you free services and therefore better protected from law rather than commercial providers.
      2) They have huge number of moderators. They use AI to check all your activity and their system may prevent any suspicious action from you immediately.
      3) They collect big data transparently and independent from you and this help them recognize you better.
      4) They sell your personal information** by default.**

Thanked by 1dystopia
    • Next step is to demand for your fingerprints, yet?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
      edited December 2021

@rustelekom said: Facebook and other big players do not need verify you so hard because:

1) They offer you free services

It's not about free services. It is unheard of Linode, Vultr, DigitalOcean, OVH, Online.net, etc etc, to demand a video of yourself with your ID. The most some of them might ask is a photo of the card, which can be considered reasonable, since you enter its details anyway. (And you can lock and reissue the card more easily than void a compromised ID).

@angstrom said: No doubt they wanted to sell your person information including credit card to black market

And it is not about the provider selling users' details, it's more about the possibility of them getting hacked, and your scans and IDs leaking via that. Every week in the news someone is hacked and there's a data leak.

@angstrom said: Congrats on your first post

It is sad that some in this community will automatically side against a person just because they don't speak perfect English and it is their first post. It feels like some of the posters actually don't care either way, but will still pile on to support the contrary point of view to the OP, just because of that.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
      edited December 2021

You are right, I don't care.

A person is already guilty by just posting just to complain, and her guilt does not need to be proven.

The mere fact that OP has lurker accounts, yes plural, makes OP guilty. Does not matter how legit her complaints are.

• @rustelekom said:
      The Kamatera offer cheap services and most likely, would like need prevent the bad people from registration. When host sell services for price over market then in most cases the bad people are passing by.

1) They offer you free services and therefore better protected from law rather than commercial providers.
      2) They have huge number of moderators. They use AI to check all your activity and their system may prevent any suspicious action from you immediately.
      3) They collect big data transparently and independent from you and this help them recognize you better.

You've never advertised on Facebook, have you?
      They'd check your dental records if they had a chance to do so.

• I have more trust on LET Providers than Big Tech. Steal deals in LET Forum

• Most likely your fraud score exceeded automated threshold. It is pretty standard to ask for an image of yourself, holding the card you used to pay and also showing the ticket number or order no.

• @1again said: Today even a small host company has encourage to ask customer for personal with ID card on hand and credit card picture like those big techs

You mention they are a small host, they are not they are bigger than Racknerd and most likely the host you have mentioned combined.

Website http://kamatera.com
      Revenue $28 million
      Employees 143 ( View all )
      Founded 1999
      Address 315 Madison Ave, New York City, New York 10017, US

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@NobodyInteresting said:

We advertised but few year ago. Don't know what happen with them now.

@rm_ said:

@rustelekom said: Facebook and other big players do not need verify you so hard because:

1) They offer you free services

It's not about free services. It is unheard of Linode, Vultr, DigitalOcean, OVH, Online.net, etc etc, to demand a video of yourself with your ID. The most some of them might ask is a photo of the card, which can be considered reasonable, since you enter its details anyway. (And you can lock and reissue the card more easily than void a compromised ID).

They are is "big player". Big player better protected from all the side: law, class action, has lot of lawyers etc.
      A relatively small provider cannot go the same way as big players.
      Final decision is made by provider and his customer. If customer would not like provider terms then do not sign with him. If provider would not like offer services for some group of people he has rights to prevent subscription from them (this doesn not mean any form of discrimination by race, nationality, gender, etc.).

Regards stealing personal data - this one of the most big problem in the world. Over 45 millions records have been stealing in Argentina from national electronic registry. But we could not complain against company who want stop malicious registration using strict terms of subscription.

And bad news for all us - in XXI century such terms like human privacy, my body is my business - become completely useless. We can try protect them but we very fast begin look as luddites. And, me personally, don't know how this problem may be resolved.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
    • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
      edited December 2021

@NobodyInteresting said:

@rustelekom said:

For fb advertising they needed a 3d secure card at most. When I advertised only thing they wanted was to enable 2fa. No id needed, but maybe because I had a 3d secure card.

• Reliablesite asked for CC front and back pictures before.. LET providers can do it too lol.

• Never. I sent a picture of horse sh*t. I never will subscribe or pay for that services.

• In general a smaller company should be more cautious than a big player simply because they can't afford to "absorb" losses like the big guys can.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

VirMach asked for a picture of my ID card.
      AliExpress asked for a picture of my credit card.
      @Nekki asked for a picture of me doing push-ups on top of one other person.
      Which one is the worst?

• video? tell them to fk off :D

i always send ONLY my driver license picture and i pass those verifications easy B)

@yoursunny said:
      VirMach asked for a picture of my ID card.
      AliExpress asked for a picture of my credit card.
      @Nekki asked for a picture of me doing push-ups on top of one other person.
      Which one is the worst?

The second one. You simply cannot trust AliExpres in any shape or form.

Thanked by 2yoursunny jsg
    • @rm_ said:

@angstrom said: No doubt they wanted to sell your person information including credit card to black market

And it is not about the provider selling users' details, it's more about the possibility of them getting hacked, and your scans and IDs leaking via that. Every week in the news someone is hacked and there's a data leak.

My remark was meant as irony, but I see that it may not have been understood this way.

@angstrom said: Congrats on your first post

It is sad that some in this community will automatically side against a person just because they don't speak perfect English and it is their first post. It feels like some of the posters actually don't care either way, but will still pile on to support the contrary point of view to the OP, just because of that.

Just to clarify, the OP's English was fine and he communicated well what he wanted to say.

But it's always suspicious if someone's first thread is a "review" of this kind, and it was this that I was reacting to.

I also made a small mistake: it was the OP's second post (but first thread).

If the OP is innocent in the sense of not having another account on LET and in the sense of being a good customer, then I apologize to the OP for my ironical remark.

• Sometimes providers make unreasonable validation demands if they aren't willing to cater for that client but don't want to sound bad in some racial sense or something.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

Give it time. Sooner or later, hosts will ask Tik Tok video of you holding your ID with a V sign.

Now, if you think people won't do that, yes they will, if there are freebie involved.

• @yoursunny said:
      Which one is the worst?

Your pic