Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two domains for same website, SEO issues?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Two domains for same website, SEO issues?

Hello,

I know I read somewhere that having 2 domains point to the same website can cause issues with google and other search engines.

I would like to add another domain to my website, difference would just be the TLD, but I still want both to be usable. Additionally they may point to different IPs in their DNS.

Will that cause issues for google or "SEO" ? Is there anything I should do to prevent any issues or loss of the "position" in search? I would like this new domain to become "main" so I'd prefer if google would always show the new .com domain instead of old .net for all hits.

I dont have experience with this so I would appreciate any help or pointing me to right direction, thanks.

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

DONT GET INTO SEO.
    Just write good content and ur good ffs.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Shot2
  • Maybe I used the wrong word. What I dont want to happen is me adding another domain and loosing position on google because of having 2 domains and google not knowing which one to show. I dont "do seo" its only organic based on the content of my website.

• pbxpbx Member
    edited December 2021

With two domains with the same content, one will be considered canonical, the other "duplicate content". It's possible that both rank quite well, but most likely one will rank well and one will rank like shit. Focus on one, the oldest one ideally, if you really need to change it do it properly.

Do a 301 from old domain to new one, and keep only one (but renew the old one). Don't do any change on the url structure when you change the domain name, wait a bit if you also want to do that. Just change the domain name, and then change other stuff. The 301 have to redirect each page to the exact same page on the new domain, not for example all pages to the root of the new domain.

Thanked by 1drizbo