Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jellyfin alternative with preprocessing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jellyfin alternative with preprocessing

AnotherAnother Member
edited December 2021 in General

I have raspberry pi 4 4GB with 2TB disk and 2 TB HDD server, one for local streaming and one for seed box.

I have tried jellyfin, Raspberry pi is not powerful enough for transcoding (10bit 1080p). And h265 is not supported by jellyfin. Same with plex.

I am currently using rasbeery pi as NAS(Sambashare). And background sync from server to rasberry pi.

I wanted to know if there is an media solution that will support h265 and 10bit 1080p direct streaming preferably from server. And also fetch and maintain my viewing history. And also something like video preview (like youtube seek).

I want to process video on client side. Processing for preview can be done on server side

Comments

• @Another said:
    And h265 is not supported by jellyfin. Same with plex.

The server does not dictate whether media can be played directly, the client does. You can't direct play HEVC simply because nearly all browsers don't support it natively (assuming you're talking about the web client).

If you're not married to the web client then you can use something like Jellyfin Media Player.

Or VLC via DLNA, or a build of your favorite browser with HEVC support or ... you get the point.

Thanked by 2dosai Ouji
  • codelockcodelock Member
    edited December 2021

If you are using jellyfin Mobile app, in Client settings, change player to external player and download vlc , vlc can easily play h.265 without transcoding, assuming you have a modern
    device

Also for desktop use the jellyfin media client

• im running jellyfin on an odroid xu4 which is about on par with rpi4, it struggles at about 65% CPU when transcoding using chrome or Firefox with one steam. Same show using the client app can handle 5 peers with CPU at 20%. Im sure the Rpi4 is more than powerful enough to handle multiple devices

• @nocloud said:
    im running jellyfin on an odroid xu4 which is about on par with rpi4, it struggles at about 65% CPU when transcoding using chrome or Firefox with one steam. Same show using the client app can handle 5 peers with CPU at 20%. Im sure the Rpi4 is more than powerful enough to handle multiple devices

Obviously, because most browsers still don't support H.265,. If you have a modern computer try steaming on Microsoft edge as it supports H.265 as long as your device supports it,

• AnotherAnother Member
    edited December 2021

@codelock said: Obviously, because most browsers still don't support H.265,. If you have a modern computer try steaming on Microsoft edge as it supports H.265 as long as your device supports it,

I was looking for web based that support h265 using javascript player

• @Another said:

@codelock said: Obviously, because most browsers still don't support H.265,. If you have a modern computer try steaming on Microsoft edge as it supports H.265 as long as your device supports it,

None do , but you might try your luck with edge

• I personally use Kodi (v18.x works better for me) as a client and have no problems with 1080p h265 and 10bit on firestick 4k, PC, and phone.

• @niknar1900 said: I personally use Kodi (v18.x works better for me) as a client and have no problems with 1080p h265 and 10bit on firestick 4k, PC phone.

i had tried kodi in mobile its interface is unusable. i heard it has 265 support so tried it. but it looks same as using NAS or SAMBA.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited December 2021

@Another said:

Then grab a browser that has H.265 support, if you're using Edge on Windows this can simply be downloading a codec or build Chromium yourself :smile:

EDIT: or if you have mental issues, you can build a web client using demuxers + video/audio decoders written in pure JS

• @codelock said:
    If you are using jellyfin Mobile app, in Client settings, change player to external player and download vlc , vlc can easily play h.265 without transcoding, assuming you have a modern
    device

Also for desktop use the jellyfin media client

On Android tablets I very often have issues resuming a video in Jellyfin, when using VLC as external player. Do you know any particular configuration to make it work?

• niknar1900niknar1900 Member
    edited December 2021

@Another said:
    but it looks same as using NAS or SAMBA.

I'm not understanding what you're saying here, but I personally stream over https (nginx). My media server is another country and a lot of what I watch is in h265. Kodi has support for more than just samba (sftp, https, etc...). It plays just like if it's stored locally and I can resume where I left off. Your end device will determine a lot in this setup (like h265 support), but even my old LG G6 plays it fine, and the 4K firestick ($25-$30) surprisingly handles what I throw at it. If you do go this route, the newer kodi (v19+) has an https2 bug that is reported on its github.