Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers vs NAS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Servers vs NAS

Lately have been contemplating picking up a SYS or KS server. However, i realised I could be investing that money into buying bigger disks and throwing them in my Synology which most likely fulfills 95% of my needs in terms of media streaming backup etc. Why exactly would someone continue to pay for servers vs into investing into a setup at home? It it just the electricity bills and faster networks?

Comments

• If the only thing you are doing with your server(s) is to stream illegal content, keep it at home.

A old shitcomputer, debian 10, plex, unlimited dropbox and rclone is killer for this. Hard disks not needed for media in 2021.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Do you always get your disk(s) replaced for free when they’re broken/faulty?

• @DP said:
    Do you always get your disk(s) replaced for free when they’re broken/faulty?

But they also don't come with over 50K of hours on them :)

• @BarkingIron said:
    Why exactly would someone continue to pay for servers vs into investing into a setup at home?

Personally, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay monthly fees to keep an entire library on a server unless you're streaming to more people outside your home than your home connection can handle. I've got 60tb online at home, and that would cost a ridiculous amount to have on a server. If you want to hoard data, it's more cost effective to own the hardware.

I don't pay for servers to store my entire data collection, I pay for them for specific uses, a seedbox for the fast network, offsite storage for backup, a game server, etc.

Thanked by 1Astro
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ability to set reverse DNS, remote backup, faster pipe, and Synology hardware is ass for the price.

• stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

Server will come with old HDD, keep that in mind. Could give out any time. If HDD fails and you have important data, wave goodbye to data recovery.

It's probably best to get more disks for your NAS.

IMHO, Dedicated servers even as backup would cost too much and not be reliable enough.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@stoned said:
    Server will come with old HDD, keep that in mind. Could give out any time. If HDD fails and you have important data, wave goodbye to data recovery.

IMHO, Dedicated servers even as backup would cost too much and not be reliable enough.

Don't play dangerous, please :smile: .
    We had a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD which failed after few weeks while running on a dedicated environment and currently runnig 45k+ disks with 0 error rate and great speed :smile:
    If you have a stable environment (second power supply available, stable OS and others) you can opt for RAID1 setup but also it can break your data due of disk caching.
    In my opinion most affordable (in terms of data safety an pricing) solution is to have backup of RAID1 setup.
    Hope it helps, Florin.

@stoned said:

Not all servers come with old drives, and a dual power environment could result in higher stability for the data and even for the life of the disk.

• @jar said:

@stoned said:

Not all servers come with old drives, and a dual power environment could result in higher stability for the data and even for the life of the disk.

Who is your reasonably priced dedicated server provider?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2021

I don't have Synology.
    When I parted with the DELL Inspiron 600m laptop that served me for 11 years, I pulled out its hard drive and hooked it onto my Raspberry Pi via a $3 USB-PATA adapter.
    This is where I store 120GB of family photos and 5GB of music.

All the music files were copied from MP3 discs.
    I suppose they are legal since those discs were sold in 新华书店, the largest bookstore chain of China.

Since a few months ago, the HDD has been making weird noise at night.
    I'm starting to get worried.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    I don't have Synology.
    When I parted with the DELL Inspiron 600m laptop that served me for 11 years, I pulled out its hard drive and hooked it onto my Raspberry Pi via a $3 USB-PATA adapter.
    This is where I store 120GB of family photos and 5GB of music.

All the music files were copied from MP3 discs.
    I suppose they are legal since those discs were sold in 新华书店, the largest bookstore chain of China.

Since a few months ago, the HDD has been making weird noise at night.

Do 100 push-ups and then your breath will be more noisy than HDD.
    Problem solved :smiley:

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@BarkingIron said:

@jar said:

@stoned said:

I usually (if not always) get new drives with Hetzner and OVH. I don't buy bargain bin though, front page pricing kind of stuff.

• @jar said:

@BarkingIron said:

@jar said:

@stoned said:

I usually (if not always) get new drives with Hetzner and OVH. I don't buy bargain bin though, front page pricing kind of stuff.

Got it!

Love mxroute though! Finally picked up a lifetime plan.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2021

@yoursunny said: Since a few months ago, the HDD has been making weird noise at night.

I've got a drive that makes a weird buzz followed by a clunk roughly every 23.5 hours. It's done it for about 5 years now.

• @Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said: Since a few months ago, the HDD has been making weird noise at night.

I've got a drive that makes a weird buzz followed by a clunk roughly every 23.5 hours. It's done it for about 5 years now.

Same here, lol. Mine also has several reallocated sectors and would possibly die anytime but for the past three years or so it's just working alright.

• @BarkingIron said: Why exactly would someone continue to pay for servers vs into investing into a setup at home?

You can't post great network number from yabs on LET on a home setup. You own the hardware of your home setup. Choose what you prefer.

• I’m using DELL PowerEdge R710 Server as my NAS
    (with
    2x Intel Xeon X5650 CPU
    80 GB RAM
    1.2 TB storage (RAID 0)
    )

Thanked by 2masterzzz cybertech
  • @Mr_Tom said:

You sure that isn't a vibrator? 😆

• bakagetabakageta Member
    edited December 2021

@TimboJones said:

@Mr_Tom said:

You sure that isn't a vibrator? 😆

Everything's a vibrator if you're adventurous enough?

• @pbx said:

@BarkingIron said: Why exactly would someone continue to pay for servers vs into investing into a setup at home?

You can't post great network number from yabs on LET on a home setup. You own the hardware of your home setup. Choose what you prefer.

I upgraded my place to gigabit down, 120Mbps up this year. I can't believe providers still offer 100/250Mbps. Providers need to think about doing more two year offers to lock people in and not cancel whenever their home broadband gets better.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@pbx said:

Network benchmark of my on premise server:

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 90.7 Mbits/sec  | 33.2 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 90.7 Mbits/sec  | 33.2 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 92.2 Mbits/sec  | 61.1 Mbits/sec 

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 40.1 Mbits/sec  | 26.5 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 83.1 Mbits/sec  | 22.3 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 84.6 Mbits/sec  | 51.4 Mbits/sec 

link to YABS archive

100Mbps port, unmetered bandwidth.
    newtork is fast my man

• @yoursunny said:

@pbx said:

Network benchmark of my on premise server:

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 90.7 Mbits/sec  | 33.2 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 90.7 Mbits/sec  | 33.2 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 92.2 Mbits/sec  | 61.1 Mbits/sec 

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 40.1 Mbits/sec  | 26.5 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 83.1 Mbits/sec  | 22.3 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 84.6 Mbits/sec  | 51.4 Mbits/sec 

link to YABS archive

100Mbps port, unmetered bandwidth.
    newtork is fast my man

You proved his point, that's not great. It's actually fucked up your download speed is 1/3 of your upload speed consistently. Your network for sure has problems.

• @yoursunny said: 100Mbps port, unmetered bandwidth.

With this kind of bandwidth it makes sense IMO to self host what isn't latency sensitive and what can fit in this kind of environment. There are many things that don't need to be hosted in a datacenter.

@TimboJones said: It's actually fucked up your download speed is 1/3 of your upload speed

Depends for what. IMO upload speed is what matters most. Many things can be done with such a good upload speed!

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @pbx said:

@yoursunny said: 100Mbps port, unmetered bandwidth.

With this kind of bandwidth it makes sense IMO to self host what isn't latency sensitive and what can fit in this kind of environment. There are many things that don't need to be hosted in a datacenter.

@TimboJones said: It's actually fucked up your download speed is 1/3 of your upload speed

Depends for what. IMO upload speed is what matters most. Many things can be done with such a good upload speed!

For residential service, we all nearly do way more downloading than uploading. It's clearly impaired.

• Does someone know a good software raid solution for Raspberry? mdadm maybe? I'm starting to create offsite backups in addition to my online backups.

• @TimboJones said: For residential service

Right but the question here is replacing a rented machine in a DC with a self hosted solution, at home. Having good upload speed is a game changer for that, as most non-critical stuff that would have been done on a storage VPS or dedi could then be done perfectly fine on a small low power machine at home.

• @pbx said:

@TimboJones said: For residential service

Right but the question here is replacing a rented machine in a DC with a self hosted solution, at home. Having good upload speed is a game changer for that, as most non-critical stuff that would have been done on a storage VPS or dedi could then be done perfectly fine on a small low power machine at home.

He already is entitled to 100 Mbps upload and getting it, rather than gigabit or higher speeds from a DC. That doesn't change the fact his residential service is impaired and not trustworthy. Speedtests are only upload or download but real world traffic is both and would experience issues the simple speed tests won't show.

• @pbx said:

What Linux based software solution do you recommend?

• @txtag1 said:

@pbx said:

What Linux based software solution do you recommend?

For?

• @TimboJones said: That doesn't change the fact his residential service is impaired and not trustworthy.

For hosting a website, right. But for backups or linux ISOs (typical use cases for cheap storage VMs) it can be more than fine!