Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading to KVM, OpenVZ , XEN from SSD Shared
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upgrading to KVM, OpenVZ , XEN from SSD Shared

Hi
Newbie here.
I have almost zero knowledge on KVM, OpenVZ , XEN servers.

I use ssd shared hosting for a wp site and when I try to publish a post then the site goes down, I/O goes max for more than 3 hours.

So which one should I choose to upgrade? I don't want to pay more than 10 usd/mo. for a server. But I have to choose one from KVM, OpenVZ , XEN servers.

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Recomanded KVM

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

Yeah definitely go KVM in this day & age. $10/m isn't an issue for KVM like it may have used to be.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

It shouldn’t matter if you’re just hosting a WP site, but you might as well go with kvm. I use OpenVZ for my sites and it works alright as well.

• @Liklove said:
    Hi
    Newbie here.
    I have almost zero knowledge on KVM, OpenVZ , XEN servers.

I use ssd shared hosting for a wp site and when I try to publish a post then the site goes down, I/O goes max for more than 3 hours.

So which one should I choose to upgrade? I don't want to pay more than 10 usd/mo. for a server. But I have to choose one from KVM, OpenVZ , XEN servers.

If you have almost zero knowledge, you can hire a pro for single job https://www.fiverr.com/s2/48bd9ec164

• @bruh21 said:
    It shouldn’t matter if you’re just hosting a WP site, but you might as well go with kvm. I use OpenVZ for my sites and it works alright as well.

The I/O usage and other resources goes max. only when new post is published. Why this is happening?
    And if I go to KVM then this will fix this issue?

• LoganoLogano Member
    edited December 2021

@Liklove said:
    The I/O usage and other resources goes max. only when new post is published. Why this is happening?

It could lots of things, like that your host server is overloaded, your CloudLinux resource limits are set too low, your WP site has too many plugins, conflicting plugins, etc.

If you get one with enough resources for your site and plugins, sure, provided your issue isn't caused by plugins conflicting with each other and running your vCPU usage to max whatever you do.

There are lots of providers here that can give you plenty of resources for a non-messed-up WP site for $10/mo.

Highest value-per-dollar with crazy fast support currently IMO is RackNerd, and their Black Friday deals still seem to be alive.

https://racknerd.com/BlackFriday/

3 vCPU Cores
    75 GB SSD Storage
    4 GB RAM
    10,000 GB Monthly Transfer
    1Gbps Network Port
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    KVM / SolusVM Control Panel
    PICK FROM MULTIPLE LOCATIONS IN ORDER FORM
    ONLY $43.39/YEAR!

They have cheap cPanel Shared/Reseller options, too, if you wanna try your site on that while learning the ins and outs of managing your own VPS on the side.

I think the double-bandwidth offer is still alive, too, if you request it on their megasized thread. So that 10TB bandwidth goes up to 20TB for free. :smiley:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/175286/let-blackfriday-lounge-a-deal-for-everyone-100s-of-giveaways-racknerds-official-blackfriday#latest

RackNerd's CloudLinux limits on shared hosting for each cPanel account:
    (compare this with your current host's limits)

CPU - 100%
    I/O Limit - 80 MB/s
    IOPS Limit - 15,000
    Physical Memory Limit - 1GB
    EPROC (Entry Processes) Limit - 200
    NPROC Limit - 220
    INODE Limit - No limit

Thanked by 1buddaeverything
  • @Liklove said:

Very likely no. It'll only help if your resource limits are set too tight as @Logano pointed out. Maybe share with us your resource limits of your current shared hosting plan?
    Shared hosting is made for WP sites, usually no need to switch to a virtual server. It'll be more convenient for you to go with one of the named providers (e.g. RackNerd) which provide you with the ease of a control panel that you've got right now and management for all other related services (email etc.). If you've got plenty of resources and it still takes ages to post, very likely your WP setup is screwed (plugins or corrupt files).

Thanked by 1Logano