Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is a List of DirectAdmin End User API Commands for Email Accounts, Forwarders, etc.?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where is a List of DirectAdmin End User API Commands for Email Accounts, Forwarders, etc.?

I have been an MXroute customer for a while. MXroute provides very reliable email services, and they are a great value - I recommend them.

A while ago, MXroute changed from cPanel to DirectAdmin. What I miss about cPanel is that it was easy to make backups of email accounts, forwarders, etc. Just click in the browser to download (backup) what you want in a file, or upload the file to load them into cPanel. Easy peasy.

Unfortunately DirectAdmin does not include those basic features. I have sample PHP code, but can't find where the list of PHP functions and commands for end users can be found. All of the information I've found so far on their website is incomplete.

Here is an example.

This command that I found in sample code: "CMD_API_EMAIL_FORWARDERS" can be found in a DuckDuckGo web search here:
https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=411

But I can't find it anywhere in a list with other related commands that I will need. If I had not found it in the sample code, I would not have known about it, nor where to look.

MXroute is not the only provider who uses DirectAdmin, so this question applies to many other customers whose providers offer DirectAdmin.

-> Where can I find the DirectAdmin API documentation with a complete list of available commands that users need, including "CMD_API_EMAIL_FORWARDERS" and related commands? Any help would be appreciated ...

Comments

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2021

I'm blown away when people don't Google for answers first. Ok, so he used DDG and didn't get the result? (https://www.directadmin.com/api.php was first hit in DDG) Is that him using bad searches or DDG sucks?

My experience looking for Direct Admin API was using Google and getting the DA API page(s) and examples of what i wanted to do (add email accounts automatically) fairly quickly and easily.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: I'm blown away when people don't Google for answers first. Ok, so he used DDG and didn't get the result? (https://www.directadmin.com/api.php was first hit in DDG) Is that him using bad searches or DDG sucks?

My experience looking for Direct Admin API was using Google and getting the DA API page(s) and examples of what i wanted to do (add email accounts automatically) fairly quickly and easily.

It's hopefully solved, no need to break the ops chops over it :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited December 2021

@Francisco said:

@TimboJones said: I'm blown away when people don't Google for answers first. Ok, so he used DDG and didn't get the result? (https://www.directadmin.com/api.php was first hit in DDG) Is that him using bad searches or DDG sucks?

It's hopefully solved, no need to break the ops chops over it :)

Francisco

Well, teach a man to search, and he'll fix it himself. Worked on my nephew's.

Seriously, "direct admin backup command line" appears to have useful results, so interested to know if I'm missing something obvious (or he is).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

One thing DA has on cPanel API is the login keys with tight ACLs. Quite a beautiful implementation.

Thanked by 1emg
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2021

(Yes, I know how to search. I am usually the person who finds the answer for everyone else. I missed something and made an error, but it is not for lack of experience or lack of trying many different searches with many different search parameters. Trust me, by the time I am desperate enough to create a thread, I have exhausted every other avenue first.)

First and foremost, thanks for @Francisco for his helpful response. I had already found his first link in my first search. It wasn't obvious to me that it was the correct jump-off point. What I found there seemed more like what was needed for server owners running DirectAdmin on their servers, not end users who access them remotely. I didn't find "CMD_API_EMAIL_FORWARDERS" or other related commands there, so I kept searching.

-> What I missed was the comment / link near the top of that page that says, "Most new CMD_API_ calls are only listed in the versions system..." I misunderstood, because it did not occur to me that the email-related APIs I needed would be considered "new commands", nor did I realize that the indicated link was the path to the list of API calls that I wanted. I expected the link would point to a few obscure new commands. I did not realize that it pointed to a long list of mainstream commands that I needed. That was my error.

I'm blown away when people jump to conclusions about what others may have tried in order to find the answer for themselves, before reaching out for help. @TimboJones knows nothing about me. I am not his nephew. Teach a man to fish? Even experienced fishermen sometimes come up empty. Apparently Timbo is so talented (or arrogant!) that he never asks for help. He does his magical web searches and the answers always appear quickly for him, every time. He always understands what he finds and applies it correctly. It must feel great to be perfect like Timbo. Oh wait. Did I jump to conclusions?

Thanks once more to Francisco and @jar for their helpful contributions. With their help, I have what I need to move ahead.

(No thanks to Timbo for hijacking the thread.)

edited December 2021

@emg said:
    (Yes, I know how to search. I am usually the person who finds the answer for everyone else. I missed something and made an error, but it is not for lack of experience or lack of trying many different searches with many different search parameters. Trust me, by the time I am desperate enough to create a thread, I have exhausted every other avenue first.)

First and foremost, thanks for @Francisco for his helpful response. I had already found his first link in my first search. It wasn't obvious to me that it was the correct jump-off point. What I found there seemed more like what was needed for server owners running DirectAdmin on their servers, not end users who access them remotely. I didn't find "CMD_API_EMAIL_FORWARDERS" or other related commands there, so I kept searching.

-> What I missed was the comment / link near the top of that page that says, "Most new CMD_API_ calls are only listed in the versions system..." I misunderstood, because it did not occur to me that the email-related APIs I needed would be considered "new commands", nor did I realize that the indicated link was the path to the list of API calls that I wanted. I expected the link would point to a few obscure new commands. I did not realize that it pointed to a long list of mainstream commands that I needed. That was my error.

I'm blown away when people jump to conclusions about what others may have tried in order to find the answer for themselves, before reaching out for help.

Why? I ran the search terms myself before responding and couldn't imagine how you missed it.

@TimboJones knows nothing about me. I am not his nephew. Teach a man to fish? Even experienced fishermen sometimes come up empty. Apparently Timbo is so talented (or arrogant!) that he never asks for help. He does his magical web searches and the answers always appear quickly for him, every time. He always understands what he finds and applies it correctly. It must feel great to be perfect like Timbo. Oh wait. Did I jump to conclusions?

Thanks once more to Francisco and @jar for their helpful contributions. With their help, I have what I need to move ahead.

(No thanks to Timbo for hijacking the thread.)

(On topic, how to find things better or respond better).

Oh no, I expect people to search and then say what they got blocked on. If you linked to the API page or quoted a DA description, that would get code example responses, not "did you RTFM?" responses. You didn't say you found their API page or where the sample code you refer to. But Francisco gave you the same link you already found in your search, so the effective help was "check again".

But again, entering specific details of what you wanted to accomplish into search was so obvious, it did look like you hadn't tried.

Since you claimed you searched as i suggested, you actually agree with our approach. Just pissed off at yourself you missed something. That's fine, we all do that, we just "mea culpa" it and not whine that someone complained of your search skills and help requesting skills.

When you're doing something unique, it can be hard to not get the result in Google result 1-5. But you're doing something that would be common and asked/answered without at least getting further.

(Btw, you're taking this way too personally and didn't insult you, really. Since you searched and missed the "trees", this is the uquivalent of "have you seen my glasses" and the answer is "on your head". Shit happens, move on.)