Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ansible Server Management/ Administration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ansible Server Management/ Administration

Hi ya'll,
I am wondering I'd anyone using Ansible for Server mgmt and admin?

I am mainly looking to try and keep my idling servers hardened and secure, nothing more.

I plan to use Centos/ Debian and Windows servers...

If yes, could someone share some pointers / playbooks to get started?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

I do! It's great.

I have found the only way to make Ansible suit your own environment, is to write own playbooks. Once you get the hang of its inner workings and the YAML syntaxis, it's really easy to write :-)

Thanked by 2plumberg ariq01
  • Jeff Geerling's roles on Github are a great resource to both use and learn from.
    Really helped me out when I was starting my Ansible journey - still does.

– For security, Devsec's baseline roles/playbooks are really good. Check out their ansible collection on Github. I use these a lot.

Ansible Galaxy is convenient when looking for a particular role.

– The Ansible docs are sometimes overly complicated, but they're pretty good.

This cheat sheet comes in handy too.

r/Ansible is a good place to read about how others handle certain things. Even if it isn't related to what I'm doing, or trying to achieve.

Over on YouTube:

The Digital Life Channel has some good tutorials for beginners. He's fun to watch and makes it easy to follow.

– Also good for beginners is this Techno Tim video

Have you written any playbooks yet?

• @RickBakkr said:
    I do! It's great.

I have found the only way to make Ansible suit your own environment, is to write own playbooks. Once you get the hang of its inner workings and the YAML syntaxis, it's really easy to write :-)

Thanks for sharing! Definitely interested in playing around

• @tjn said:
    Jeff Geerling's roles on Github are a great resource to both use and learn from.

– For security, Devsec's baseline roles/playbooks are really good. Check out their ansible collection on Github. I use these a lot.

r/Ansible is a good place to read about how others handle certain things. Even if it isn't related to what I'm doing, or trying to achieve.

Over on YouTube:

The Digital Life Channel has some good tutorials for beginners. He's fun to watch and makes it easy to follow.

This is a wealth of information. Thank you so much for so kindly sharing these resources. I think I have my work cut out for the weekend!

Thanked by 1tjn
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2021

@plumberg said:
    Hi ya'll,

I am mainly looking to try and keep my idling servers hardened and secure, nothing more.

Thanks in advance!

Ultra hardening:
    Linux: shutdown -t now
    Windows: shutdown -s -t1

:p

• @TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:
    Hi ya'll,

Thanks in advance!

Ultra hardening:
    Linux: shutdown -t now

:p

B) B)

• pbxpbx Member
    edited December 2021

@TimboJones said: Linux: shutdown -t now

Best idling. Keeps hackers at bay and let people who actually want to use their VPSes benefit from as much resources as possible.

Thanked by 1idleparty
  • I do, but it becomes absolutely awful in large environments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I use sensible to setup my k8s cluster and manage deployments

• @tjn said:
    Jeff Geerling's roles on Github are a great resource to both use and learn from.

Over on YouTube:

This is very helpful

Thanked by 1tjn