Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider blocked PPTP Connections!!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider blocked PPTP Connections!!!

Hello to all,

We worked with more than 50 companies and We had alot of VPS's and Dedicated servers and We ran PPTP VPN Server on them for years till now. but We buyed a VPS from a Turkish provider and they blocked incoming connection for PPTP .... We asked and Requested them for Allow that Protocol but they Answered us:

We couldn't open it for security reasons. You should rent a dedicated server.

Someone can explain for me what is the Security reasons that they said?!! Because I did not understand

Comments

• I do not know the reasons as to why, but I know PPTP is never recommend, and to used IPSec instead. They are similar, but IPSec is far more secure. If you truly need PPTP, I think it would be best to find another provider.

Thanked by 1Gamexland
  • @Gamexland said:
    Hello to all,

We worked with more than 50 companies and We had alot of VPS's and Dedicated servers and We ran PPTP VPN Server on them for years till now. but We buyed a VPS from a Turkish provider and they blocked incoming connection for PPTP .... We asked and Requested them for Allow that Protocol but they Answered us:

Someone can explain for me what is the Security reasons that they said?!! Because I did not understand

Check out the answer here:
    https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/45509/are-there-any-known-vulnerabilities-in-pptp-vpns-when-configured-properly

In a nutshell - use a different VPN protocol

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

You have a OpenVZ vps or KVM?
    This is very strange.

• Might simply because you are using too much resource on that VPS, so they use it as an excuse to implicitly suggest you to upgrade your service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I can't think of a good reason to prevent customers from using it. There are some devices out there which can only use PPTP for a VPN because of outdated proprietary software, it's not quite a zero use case thing. It's not to be considered secure but security isn't the only use case for a VPN.

• @dedipromo said:
    Might simply because you are using too much resource on that VPS, so they use it as an excuse to implicitly suggest you to upgrade your service.

No
    I just bought the VPS around 10days... It's for personal use

• @jar said:
    I can't think of a good reason to prevent customers from using it. There are some devices out there which can only use PPTP for a VPN because of outdated proprietary software, it's not quite a zero use case thing. It's not to be considered secure but security isn't the only use case for a VPN.

PPTP has better speed and ping time than other protocols..the first choice for Games is PPTP.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Gamexland said:

@jar said:

PPTP has better speed and ping time than other protocols..the first choice for Games is PPTP.

Yeah true, very little overhead for rerouting connections.

• PPTP is outdated and OpenVPN is slow. I am a fan of WireGuard. :)

• @DennisdeWit said:
    PPTP is outdated and OpenVPN is slow. I am a fan of WireGuard. :)

Wireguard is king.

• @Gamexland said:
    Hello to all,

Probably if they allow it, they are probably responsible for enabling government access. I don't know the current situation in Turkey in terms of coups, but monitoring communications wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Thanked by 2vedran Gamexland
  • You should rent a dedicated server.

• @avamax said:
    You should rent a dedicated server.

Or setup WireGuard :-)

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm no security expert when it comes to PPTP but I did have an experience where my PPTP server was hijacked so I'm assuming there's a lot of scanners out there looking for this service plus I read most of the VPN services are moving away from it since there is much better security VPN protocols.

Personally speaking, the reason I had set up the personl PPTP VPN for me was the ease of getting it set up and I think legacy devices may only be able to support it easier but again from my experience - won't ever be using PPTP again. Thankfully I had nothing important connected / communicating on the PPTP vpn I had set up.

• @the_doctor said:

@avamax said:
    You should rent a dedicated server.

Or setup WireGuard :-)

We have Wireguard on the VPS. as per our experience (we work on vpn accounts from 15years) each protocol is good for a condition.