Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RHEL - Dev? - Rocky vs Alma
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RHEL - Dev? - Rocky vs Alma

Sometime back when CentOS8 was abruptly put on EOL for 2021, some comments popped up that one could use RHEL and you got some licenses for free?
Any pointers to that?

and on a side note Rocky vs Alma?

Comments

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep
  • I use RHEL for free, if I remember correctly you're limited to 16 machines but that's plenty for my needs.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • thank you so much...

Thanked by 1stratagem
  • You can run 16 instance with Dev license. Also if you want to go geek mode you can actually download 20GB srpms iso, then debrand and build it with mock/koji builder.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Boogeyman said:
    You can run 16 instance with Dev license. Also if you want to go geek mode you can actually download 20GB srpms iso, then debrand and build it with mock/koji builder.

so can i build "Gapper Linux"?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @gapper said: so can i build "Gapper Linux"?

Yes. But you have to build many srpms to binary rpms and some are dependency to others. And for failed builds you have to figure out why things went wrong. The process is somewhat complex, time consuming, requires knowledge on rpm packaging, resource(CPU,MEM,IO) intensive.

Thanked by 2gapper plumberg
  • @plumberg said:
    Sometime back when CentOS8 was abruptly put on EOL for 2021, some comments popped up that one could use RHEL and you got some licenses for free?
    Any pointers to that?

A lot of people are put off by the RHEL licensing, even if it's free for up to 16 systems.

On CentOS/Rocky/Alma, you set up a repository and simply get your updates with yum/dnf. But with RHEL, you have to have your Red Hat subscription configured and up-to-date before you can get any updates. It's another layer of dependency and complication that I don't want to bother with.

and on a side note Rocky vs Alma?

I've gone for Rocky for my CentOS 8 systems, but don't see Alma as a poor choice. Both have done good work.

Thanked by 2webcraft plumberg
  • I was thinking about "Lowendtalk Linux" which will be RHEL based. Then I thought fuck! Who is going to finance me to run a box 24/7? LET is mostly Debian fans, will they toast me(ofc I can build a Debian fork too if I put enough time)? I need to constantly build updated srpms too and upload that to my repo. If they want secure boot I need to do shim-signing. How am I going to do that? All I am going to do this for $7 a month!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • RHEL. All my DA servers run on RHEL.

Thanked by 1plumberg