Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know how to install Windows through NetBoot.xyz?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone know how to install Windows through NetBoot.xyz?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited December 2021 in Help

I have an extracted ISOs on another server (both Windows 7 and Server 2012 R2, untouched directly from Microsoft) and I can get them to load through NetBoot.xyz, but it gets to the part where you need to install iostor drivers, and the host only has 3 virtIO ISOs you can mount, but none of them work with either.

They are detected as a disc, but when you select the drivers (vistor, netkvm, balloon) it looks as if it's installing them, then says "No new device drivers were found"

I've also tried integrating the drivers into the boot.wim and install.wim folders using NTLite, but it doesn't seem to detect the HDD

The VirtIO drivers I tried integrating were virtio-win-0.1.109 from fedorapeople.org

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Thanked by 1devp

Comments

• @storm said:
    Here is my method I wrote up a while back:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3181391#Comment_3181391

Thanks. I did find that already while searching, but have you had success getting this working with a version older than 2019?

The host has a 2019 ISO which works, but I'd rather use an old version as it only has 2GB RAM

• I'm afraid I haven't tried it on older Windows versions. This may be an obvious question, but are you using the virtio drivers in the w7 directories for Windows 7 and 2k12R2 for Server 2012 R2?

• @storm said:
    I'm afraid I haven't tried it on older Windows versions. This may be an obvious question, but are you using the virtio drivers in the w7 directories for Windows 7 and 2k12R2 for Server 2012 R2?

Yep,

I've installed Windows plenty of times with other providers by using VirtIO drivers, but in this instance it just seems like none are compatible, or don't work properly with NetBoot