Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you know it was Black Friday not long ago?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you know it was Black Friday not long ago?

... when your monitoring system is triggering an alert every single morning that your CPU load looks like you got hacked by a crypto miner.

Except, no it's logwatch taking 45 minutes to scrutinise a total of 350Mb of logs. No kidding.

Every single year since I got this VM :'(

Comments

• Is 350 MB of logs supposed to be a lot? I feel like something is very wrong with the software you're using if it takes it 45 minutes to read that, especially if its just checking the latest changes to the log.

What is it about black friday that made your logs do this, anyway?

• Sorry, it's because I forgot to mention it takes less than a minute in mid-November.

• Just baffles me because 1) My servers regularly get their logs upwards of 1 GB and I have to set a limit to stop them going out of control and filling the entire disk
    and 2) The last program I used that monitored logs was fail2ban and it never had a problem with high activity or huge log files. Because it was smart and only checked what changed since its last run.

This doesn't paint logwatch (which I've never used) in a good light for me.

• I think he is just saying that it was normal ("fast") before Black Friday sale. His 350MB of logs took a minute to parse. Now, after a sale, same amount of logs is taking 45 minutes because shit is overloaded/slow/broken/blame sales and provider.

Or this is moar scans for first few weeks and normally logs are smaller, just bigger now and it takes longer? Who knows.

If the 'over(sold/load)' part - did you tried to message the provider? :)

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @JabJab said: I think he is just saying that it was normal ("fast") before Black Friday sale. His 350MB of logs took a minute to parse. Now, after a sale, same amount of logs is taking 45 minutes because shit is overloaded/slow/broken/blame sales and provider.

This explanation does make a lot of sense actually :P

Thanked by 1devp
  • @JabJab said:
    I think he is just saying that it was normal ("fast") before Black Friday sale. His 350MB of logs took a minute to parse. Now, after a sale, same amount of logs is taking 45 minutes because shit is overloaded/slow/broken/blame sales and provider.

^ that

Not yet actually. It usually settles down by itself after a month or two :neutral:

• @CreativeProjects said:

@JabJab said:
    I think he is just saying that it was normal ("fast") before Black Friday sale. His 350MB of logs took a minute to parse. Now, after a sale, same amount of logs is taking 45 minutes because shit is overloaded/slow/broken/blame sales and provider.

^ that

Not yet actually. It usually settles down by itself after a month or two :neutral:

The servers get overloaded by the YABS sect.

Thanked by 1devp
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

When everyone I know has a new gaming laptop!

Thanked by 1devp
  • When the sales threads end, and the "for transfer" threads begin.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@frog said:
    The servers get overloaded by the YABS sect.

I put my hand on the YABS bible and swear to the YABS gods that the @cybertech gang (those inspired by @cybertech, which may or may not include @cybertech himself) is doing all the benching.

Thanked by 1devp