Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Dreamhost Object Storage S3 Review?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Dreamhost Object Storage S3 Review?

Hello, can you give me a little review about Dreamhost Object Storage S3? DreamObjects?

I'm looking for S3 object storage for my wordpress website backup needs. The space I need is not large, only 10GB and a small bandwidth of only 10GB/month.

I see https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/storage/ has a very cheap price, $ 0.025/GB space and $ 0.05/GB bandwidth for sizes under 50GB.

So, I just spent $1/month with around 10GB space/bandwidth.

I don't need 1TB of space & bandwidth

thank you

Comments

• Thats expensive for what it is. Just get an oracle free cloud with 200Gb + 10TB outgoing. Install an S3 complaint app then youre off to the races for free. Not to mention you actually get to do a lot more than just storage.

Thanked by 1umzak
  • LeftupLeftup Member
    edited December 2021

I haven't tried DreamObjects, but it looks expensive.

Right now I'm using Scaleway Object Storage and works great.
    It's free for the first 75GB, and free 75 GB outbound traffic each month. Inbound is always free.

You can even get free outbound traffic if you have a stardust instance and run nginx reverse proxy there (need to have the same region).

But yeah, only the EU region.

Backblaze B2 may be a good alternative if you need the US region.

Thanked by 1umzak
  • Scaleway Object Storage will be enough for your needs and it's free

Thanked by 1umzak
  • @kennsann said:
    Thats expensive for what it is. Just get an oracle free cloud with 200Gb + 10TB outgoing. Install an S3 complaint app then youre off to the races for free. Not to mention you actually get to do a lot more than just storage.

Not even. You get 10GB S3 bucket from oracle,no need to add VPS maintenance and waste resources (in this case where 10GB is enough).

Thanked by 1umzak
  • Or 10GB free from B2 Object Storage, no VPS installation and maintenance, and NO to Oracle :joy:

Thanked by 1umzak
  • umzakumzak Member
    edited December 2021

@Leftup said:
    I haven't tried DreamObjects, but it looks expensive.

Right now I'm using Scaleway Object Storage and works great.
    It's free for the first 75GB, and free 75 GB outbound traffic each month. Inbound is always free.

You can even get free outbound traffic if you have a stardust instance and run nginx reverse proxy there (need to have the same region).

But yeah, only the EU region.

Backblaze B2 may be a good alternative if you need the US region.

Oh, Thanks for the information, I'll consider it.
    one more thing, how much is the minimum payment from scaleway? if I only use data below 75GB/month?

Btw, I need s3 object storage with a minimum payment of $1 per month.

because I don't have much data, so I don't need more than 50GB bandwidth per month

@orion504 said:
    Or 10GB free from B2 Object Storage, no VPS installation and maintenance, and NO to Oracle :joy:

the minimum payment for backblaze b2 object storage is $5 / month, right?

• marianmarian Member
    edited December 2021

@umzak said: how much is the minimum payment from scaleway? if I only use data below 75GB/month?

If you don't store more than 75GB/month or the bandwidth does not exceed 75GB/month - you are not going to pay anything

Example from my account:

Thanked by 3umzak Leftup ccpss
  • @marian said:

@umzak said: how much is the minimum payment from scaleway? if I only use data below 75GB/month?

If you don't store more than 75GB/month or the bandwidth does not exceed 75GB/month - you are not going to pay anything

Example from my account:

wow, that's awesome. so I don't have to pay for life if my data is under 75 GB :D

• Thank you all for this thread. I had no idea, and now I'm looking forward to setting up my backups. Really appreciate!!! :)

• umzakumzak Member
    edited December 2021

@ccpss said:
    Thank you all for this thread. I had no idea, and now I'm looking forward to setting up my backups. Really appreciate!!! :)

your welcome :D

Btw, i used UpdraftPlus to backup my wordpress site, because it has free S3-compatible remote storage feature

Thanked by 1ccpss
  • @umzak said: the minimum payment for backblaze b2 object storage is $5 / month, right?

In case you need North America, Backblaze doesn't have minimum payment. Free 10GB*mo storage and 1GB/day download (or free through Cloudflare), just pay for the overage (they do have request fees, but I have never gone over it)

Thanked by 2ccpss TimboJones
  • Just a heads up with Backblaze + UpdraftPlus:

"The “Generic S3” module in UpdraftPlus does not have support for Backblaze B2 at this time."

Source

• Following up... Scaleway + UpdraftPlus works.
    But there is a trick way to connect with:
    Accesskey = Your API access key

Secretkey = Your API secret key

S3 location = s3generic://BUCKET_NAME

S3 end point = ROOT_URL (like s3.nl-ams.scw.cloud)

Thanks to the Reddit fellow

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Nice. I've tried scaleway today. the results are quite good, with a backup size of 68.7MB it took me 45 seconds to upload from my vps in los angeles to scaleway amsterdam.

but there is one feature that is lacking from scaleway object storage, migration from old object storage.

So, I use tools from minio client, here is the tutorial

• @umzak Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

I'm also having a problem with the WP Fastest Cache plugin. For some reason, it does not work with the combo Scaleway + UpdraftPlus. So I need to deactivated, run the backup manually and activate again.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• DeviousDevDeviousDev Member
    edited December 2021

@umzak You also can have free 25GB with 250GB egress and unlimited ingress with tebi.io used them and never had problem yet.

Thanked by 1umzak
  • Have you checked out Wasabi? It's IMO the best S3 compatible object storage service out there for performance/reliability/price ratio.