Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anyone who knows the DDOS part of the game server of ovh or soyustart?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there anyone who knows the DDOS part of the game server of ovh or soyustart?

Does ovh and soyoustart service really defend against DDOS attacks completely?
Are my game server and game users free from DDOS without any inconvenience?

I really don't know if I should believe it.
Because the price is cheap.
At a price of less than $100 a month, can game servers operate without interruption due to huge DDOS attacks?

(English is not my first language.) I'm sorry :)

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Which game is it?

OVH has filters for specific games, but it doesn't cover every game. There's generic filters, but if someone floods your game port and there's no specific filter you might be in trouble.

Francisco

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

no mitigation is perfect.

ovh is known as one of the better services when it comes to protection, but you will not have a completely interruption free experience, especially if someone is really determined.

• @Francisco said:
    Which game is it?

OVH has filters for specific games, but it doesn't cover every game. There's generic filters, but if someone floods your game port and there's no specific filter you might be in trouble.

Francisco

samp :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@uni14 said: samp

I think they have a policy for SAMP.

Tempest, Path.net's dedicated server arm, is pretty damn good and has some $90/month E3 servers in stock. They would be in New York, not sure if that'd work for you.

They have a SAMP filter amongst a whole slew of others too.

Francisco

• @bruh21 said:
    no mitigation is perfect.

ovh is known as one of the better services when it comes to protection, but you will not have a completely interruption free experience, especially if someone is really determined.

Then, can users be disconnected from the server?
    Or is there a bug in the server?
    Or can the server be closed?

Then, is it correct to use the Amazon aws ddos part as a game server?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

In-House amplification is quite popular.
    You can't doge this unless you get 1gig down or even better 10gig.

• @Neoon said:

It is difficult to understand your English.Can you express it more easily?
    Does it mean that the server might be a bit stuttering in case of a big attack? There's no solution?
    anyway, thanks a lot!

• @Francisco said:

Tempest, Path.net's dedicated server arm, is pretty damn good and has some $90/month E3 servers in stock. They would be in New York, not sure if that'd work for you.

Francisco

Thank you.
    If "ovh service" and "Path service" are similar,
    I'm a beginner, so I'll choose an ovh that's
    (If I add a firewall on Linux, it automatically protects DDOS, right?)

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2021

@uni14 said:

@Neoon said:

It is difficult to understand your English.Can you express it more easily?
    Does it mean that the server might be a bit stuttering in case of a big attack? There's no solution?
    anyway, thanks a lot!

In-House amplification = attack from other OVH server. OVH doesnt really check internal traffic between OVH servers (In-House) so DDoSes can hit you.
    Its known method, but someone needs to buy/hack other OVH server to attack you so you will have problem only if someone is really angry at you.

• @uni14 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Thank you.
    If "ovh service" and "Path service" are similar,
    I'm a beginner, so I'll choose an ovh that's
    (If I add a firewall on Linux, it automatically protects DDOS, right?)

No. You need to offload DDoS to "different place". DDoS mitigation / protection routes bad traffic to other place and good traffic to your server. If DDoS traffic hits your server then you waste resources because you need to process this traffic together with legit traffic. Thats why your server will slow down for good traffic and if DDoS is heavy it can exhaust your server resources and it will take a lot of time to respond to any request or completly crash.

Its very simplified explaination, but you should get an idea. You need DDoS protection to offload bad traffic. Firewall in Linux protects against hacker because you decide who can connect to which ports, but if ports are open (and they will be in any public server) then you can just ban bad IP there and help a little bit by reducing load - banned IP will not get response from your server so that will lower impact from DDoS, but you cant specify that they cannot talk at all to your server. They will still be able to, just wont get response. It will still use server resources. You need to get something that puts bad traffic and routes it somewhere else - this is called DDoS protection / mitigation service.
    Now you understand? :)

Thanked by 2TODO jugganuts
  • If you want to be secure against In-house attack then get OVH server with 10Gbps network, because then even if DDoS hits they will need to push 10Gbps instead of 250Mbps/500Mbps/1Gbps depending on what SyS/OVH cheap offer you would get. Standard OVH VPS is up to 2Gbps and thats most commonly used to attacks. If you would have 10Gbps then you are safe 99.9999999999999% time.

Ps. Sorry for seperate 3rd post, I cant edit earlier ones. It says I dont have permissions for "Vanilla.Edit" when I want to save, weird

Thanked by 2DanSummer jugganuts
  • @AXYZE said:
    If you want to be secure against In-house attack then get OVH server with 10Gbps network, because then even if DDoS hits they will need to push 10Gbps instead of 250Mbps/500Mbps/1Gbps depending on what SyS/OVH cheap offer you would get. Standard OVH VPS is up to 2Gbps and thats most commonly used to attacks. If you would have 10Gbps then you are safe 99.9999999999999% time.

Ps. Sorry for seperate 3rd post, I cant edit earlier ones. It says I dont have permissions for "Vanilla.Edit" when I want to save, weird

Thank you very much.
    If so, should I find a server hosting with a bandwidth of 10Gbps?
    As far as I know, most people who run the 'GTA SA:MP Game Server' use ovh or aws.
    But why is the ovh game server maximum at 1Gbps? Is there a site that you can recommend?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2021

@uni14 said:

@AXYZE said:
    If you want to be secure against In-house attack then get OVH server with 10Gbps network, because then even if DDoS hits they will need to push 10Gbps instead of 250Mbps/500Mbps/1Gbps depending on what SyS/OVH cheap offer you would get. Standard OVH VPS is up to 2Gbps and thats most commonly used to attacks. If you would have 10Gbps then you are safe 99.9999999999999% time.

Thank you very much.
    As far as I know, most people who run the 'GTA SA:MP Game Server' use ovh or aws.
    But why is the ovh game server maximum at 1Gbps? Is there a site that you can recommend?

OVH Game can protect you up to crazy amount like 1Tbps. Problem is that they dont protect against internal traffic.
    For this game even 100Mbps is 100% enough. Problem if DDoS is not mitigated and will hit your server then its very easy to use all 100Mbps bandwidth, more difficult to use 1Gbps and very, very difficult to use 10Gbps, because attackers also needs 10Gbps to use yours 10Gbps. If theres DDoS, but its 100% mitigated by protection then game will be 100% perfect on 100Mbps.

You need to look at best mitigation providers - OVH, Path.Net, Voxility... all of them have various success rate in mitigation, but when they fail and pass bad traffic to your server THEN you need much Mbps/Gbps in bandwidth.

OVH fails only in protecting against other OVH servers.
    If your server wont have crazy people, big wars between players in various servers, insulting others etc. then nobody will waste so much time and resources to DDoS you. OVH is fine as long and nobody with other OVH server wont decide to attack you. And if they do with their 1Gbps server then if you have 10Gbps you wont feel it. Even if he will get like 4 of 1Gbps servers then you are still fine if you will ban his IP.

If you're very worried about it then you can go with more expensive providers that use path.net / Voxility.
    But as you can see many SA:MP servers use OVH with no issues, because its not easy to DDoS their servers. But if someone really hates you and he has a lot of time he can do it. There's just this small risk you need to be aware of.

Thanked by 3TODO jugganuts xinan
  • @AXYZE said:

@uni14 said:

@AXYZE said:

Thank you very much.

OVH Game can protect you up to crazy amount like 1Tbps. Problem is that they dont protect against internal traffic.
    For this game even 100Mbps is 100% enough. Problem if DDoS is not mitigated and will hit your server then its very easy to use all 100Mbps bandwidth, more difficult to use 1Gbps and very, very difficult to use 10Gbps, because attackers also needs 10Gbps to use yours 10Gbps. If theres DDoS, but its 100% mitigated by protection then game will be 100% perfect on 100Mbps.

You need to look at best mitigation providers - OVH, Path.Net, Voxility... all of them have various success rate in mitigation, but when they fail and pass bad traffic to your server THEN you need much Mbps/Gbps in bandwidth.

OVH fails only in protecting against other OVH servers.
    If your server wont have crazy people, big wars between players in various servers, insulting others etc. then nobody will waste so much time and resources to DDoS you. OVH is fine as long and nobody with other OVH server wont decide to attack you. And if they do with their 1Gbps server then if you have 10Gbps you wont feel it. Even if he will get like 4 of 1Gbps servers then you are still fine if you will ban his IP.

If you're very worried about it then you can go with more expensive providers that use path.net / Voxility.
    But as you can see many SA:MP servers use OVH with no issues, because its not easy to DDoS their servers. But if someone really hates you and he has a lot of time he can do it. There's just this small risk you need to be aware of.

You gave me really good advice for nothing.
    I respect you.