Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How show that's NVMe disk?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How show that's NVMe disk?

Hi
I am using a VPS from a provider that uses NVMe disk for storage. But I checked YABS today and the read/write seems not good as the NVMe disk.

I installed nvme-cli then run the command sudo nvme list but the result is nothing.

How can I check to make sure it's still NVMe disk?

YABS result

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 100.34 MB/s  (25.0k) | 357.79 MB/s   (5.5k)
Write      | 100.60 MB/s  (25.1k) | 359.67 MB/s   (5.6k)
Total      | 200.95 MB/s  (50.2k) | 717.46 MB/s  (11.2k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
Read       | 487.44 MB/s    (952) | 481.16 MB/s    (469)
Write      | 513.34 MB/s   (1.0k) | 513.21 MB/s    (501)
Total      | 1.00 GB/s     (1.9k) | 994.38 MB/s    (970)

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Remember: You are not the only one on the node.

I repeat, you are not the only user on the server.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@vinvideo said: But I checked YABS today and the read/write seems not good as the NVMe disk.

If you want "good as the NVMe disk" kinda performance, get a dedicated server.

Performance can be inconsistent in a virtualized environment with lots of contributing factors to consider, especially when you have noisy neighbors.

Thanked by 1devp
  • You could check the result of 4k fio result.. usually total score of 4k fio test that over 100 MB/s or 25k IOPS backed by NVMe SSD

Thanked by 1devp
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2021

There's no such thing as NVMe, SSD, HDD, when you buy a virtual machine.
    You get either a QEMU Virtual Disk (vda) or a loopback block device (ploop).
    You cannot reliably tell what's the underlying storage device and whether it has RAID, nor should you care.

Get enough RAM so that all your content are in the cache.
    Design a resilient architecture so that information is saved into multiple replicas.
    Forget about I/O speeds, all your need is RAM.

• remember you have neighbors

• @yoursunny said:
    Design a resilient architecture so that information is saved into multiple replicas.

Everytime you replied, i agreed, always agree, thats why i gave thanks. Can i become one of your fans too?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Perform 666 pushups in 666 seconds. Then, yes.

Thanked by 1devp
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited December 2021

@yoursunny said:
    You cannot reliably tell what's the underlying storage device and whether it has RAID, nor should you care.

I have yet to find a provider that uses this but hey, might find it interesting

https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/devices/nvme.html

Also, for kvm if you see sda style devices (emulated SATA usually)... Consider moving. That's not using virtio (like vda) and tends to perform worse on the same underlying storage

Contrary to Sunny I like my bits to survive reboots :smile: RAM deployments are cool but I don't get paid to run my nonsense

Thanked by 1vedran

@jlay said:

@yoursunny said:

Also, for kvm if you see sda style devices (emulated SATA usually)... Consider moving. That's not using virtio (like vda) and tends to perform worse on the same underlying storage

Contrary to Sunny I like my bits to survive reboots :smile: RAM deployments are cool but I don't get paid to run my nonsense

sunny should be written in all lower case, even if it's the first word of a sentence.

RAM deployments can survive reboots if you design the architecture well.
    The keypoint is to have enough RAM replicas so that they never reboot/fail at the same time.
    Facebook has been operating like that for many years.

Thanked by 2ariq01 devp
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited December 2021

@jlay said:]

sda can be virtio-scsi which is basically the same performance and offers features like discard

Thanked by 2jlay Shazan
  • @yoursunny said:

@jlay said:

@yoursunny said:

sunny should be written in all lower case, even if it's the first word of a sentence.

RAM deployments can survive reboots if you design the architecture well.
    The keypoint is to have enough RAM replicas so that they never reboot/fail at the same time.
    Facebook has been operating like that for many years.

Blame autocorrect, don't tell me!

Totally true and that's how many big players do things.. but I don't have a practical interest in this kind of moonshot because I'm not held to the same compliance standards or have their development or operational budget

Routine kernel upgrades depend on a symphony of automation and so on

Thanked by 1devp

@ariq01 said:

@yoursunny said:

Everytime you replied, i agreed, always agree, thats why i gave thanks. Can i become one of your fans too?

Per your request, I listed you in my signature:
    All I want for Christmas is One Gallon Wet Platinum Lube ; girlfriend - @Nekki ; fanboy - @Lurkrazy ; fangirl - @ariq01 ; imitator - @mcgree ; follower - @brueggus ; brother - @FlorinMarian

However, I'm devastated to find that you did not give Thanks on several of my recent comments.
    Therefore, you'll be delisted soon.

In other news, @Nekki hasn't written me a love letter for 4 days and I found her sleeping with @Murv .
    I plan to break up with @Nekki if she wouldn't give me undivided love.

• What does it mean "yoursunny"?

@LTniger said:
    What does it mean "yoursunny"?

Do you wanna be my LET girlfriend?
    You can run YABS on my chest muscle with no mercy.

• Those results look mostly NVMe, especially talking about shared resources within the hypervisor.

• @yoursunny said:
    you did not give Thanks on several of my recent comments.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Lurkrazy
  • there are many variants of NVMe with differing performance and in different RAID configurations.

The best ones are of course quality ones in RAID 10.

heres a properly configured RAID 10 SSD speeds from a top provider here:

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 85.61 MB/s   (21.4k) | 1.01 GB/s    (15.9k)
    Write      | 85.84 MB/s   (21.4k) | 1.02 GB/s    (15.9k)
    Total      | 171.45 MB/s  (42.8k) | 2.04 GB/s    (31.8k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 1.18 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.20 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Write      | 1.24 GB/s     (2.4k) | 1.28 GB/s     (1.2k)
    Total      | 2.43 GB/s     (4.7k) | 2.48 GB/s     (2.4k)

• @yoursunny said: I found her sleeping with @Murv .

I knew it! I felt like we were being watched the whole time!
    We really shouldn't have done that in a park but Nekki-chan kept insisting. I couldn't just reject my beloved waifu...

Thanked by 1yoursunny