Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for host for audio files
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for host for audio files

I want to give option to my website visitors to listen my lessons online.
I don't think there will be more than 20 people listening at the same time, so I don't have idea what kind of server I need for this. Can I use VPS or I need some strong dedi server.

I need unlimited bandwidth and good link.

Comments

• stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

If your audio isn't behind a paywall, I would leverage free bandwidth perhaps, from any of the embeddable services like youtube or soundcloud etc. Hope that helps.

You could also run icecast2 and stream your own audio, which wouldn't consume that much bandwidth for 20 clients at a reasonable bitrate (unlimited isn't required I think), so any VPS will do, really, given it's decent enough. Even Oracle free servers will do a good job.

• What matters more here is the volume of files you're planning on hosting. You say no more than 20 people listening at the same time but you want unlimited bandwidth, that's something that doesn't need "unlimited bandwidth" capacity.

Realistically, all of these you can probably handle with a good VPS with a 1Gbit port speed (aka, so many solutions available here).

Thanked by 2stoned angstrom
  • @miki said: I need unlimited bandwidth

No you don't.

Have you tried with a service like SoundCloud?

If you really want to go the self-hosted way, start with something reasonable and grow according to the performance. Do some maths with providers near your audience.

Thanked by 2stoned angstrom
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I publish my phone number on my website and let people call me.
    I will read my lessons to them via telephone.
    No server necessary.

Phone number is on this page: https://yoursunny.com/m/

• This is membership content, so I can't host it on YT or SoundCloud as I don't want users to directly access it or share links with friends.

• @miki said: strong dedi server.

This is what you'd need if you needed to be able to do some heavy computation. To serve files you don't need a beefy CPU: a storage VPS with nginx would do the trick, as long as it has enough bandwidth.

• Let's say you have some nice high quality audio at 320 kbps (versus the 100+ kbps on youtube) and you constantly have 20 people listening non-stop 24/7 for the entire month. It only adds up to about 2 TB bandwidth. You don't need unlimited bandwidth.

Thanked by 2yoursunny pbx
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2021

@miki said:
    This is membership content, so I can't host it on YT or SoundCloud as I don't want users to directly access it or share links with friends.

At the end of the day. A reasonable storage VPS is fine. 1Gbit is probably fine. You have a lot of options, so think of your go-to reliable hosting provider and look at the most affordable solution you can find. If you were serving videos then I'd say you'd need stronger CPUs but for audio, most 2 core solutions should be good enough.

I'd be surprised if you'd even top 5 TB of bandwidth with 20 concurrent listeners 24/7.

43800 minutes in a month, estimated 0.72 MB per minute (per user), 20 users comes out to 630.72 GB of bandwidth used a month. Yeah that's not much.