Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wipe Disk - Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wipe Disk - Help

Hi, I am letting go a KS server... How can I securely wipe the disk before transfer?

Is this good enough? https://www.looklinux.com/how-to-wipe-hard-drive-clean-using-dd-command-in-linux/

Thanks!

Comments

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@plumberg said:
    Hi, I am letting go a KS server... How can I securely wipe the disk before transfer?

Is this good enough? https://www.looklinux.com/how-to-wipe-hard-drive-clean-using-dd-command-in-linux/

Thanks!

Just reinstall OS and wait until it finishes before proceeding with transfer if you have no previous experience with this and you have sensitive data into it.
    Best regards, Florin.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Welcome to Low end mental support desk.

• Yeah. Fresh reinstall with only one partition, install tmux and fill it with zeros. Or boot from a live system and dd the whole device.

• I just leave stuff on the disks, fuck it, what's the odd your server ends up in the hands of someone who can be arsed trying to recover old data. Within a day it's chock full of the latest linux ISOs anyway.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2021

boot into rescue, run via 'screen':

openssl enc -aes-256-ctr -pass pass:"$(dd if=/dev/urandom bs=128 count=1 < /dev/null | base64)" -nosalt </dev/zero | dd of=/dev/sda

add another screen for sdb, sdc, etc. if there is more than one disk.

edit: if it is spinning rust, this obviously will take a while. hence the screen session. once tabbed out it should continue running, so you can logoff and forget about it...

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint plumberg
  • dban, for the paranoid.

• @Falzo said:
    boot into rescue, run via 'screen':

openssl enc -aes-256-ctr -pass pass:"$(dd if=/dev/urandom bs=128 count=1 < /dev/null | base64)" -nosalt </dev/zero | dd of=/dev/sda

add another screen for sdb, sdc, etc. if there is more than one disk.

edit: if it is spinning rust, this obviously will take a while. hence the screen session. once tabbed out it should continue running, so you can logoff and forget about it...

Will definitely check this screen... never tried this. Thanks!

• This is the reason why OVH disks are old age.

• shred /dev/sdX

• @zorker said:
    shred /dev/sdX

This sounds awful?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Very effective.

burning datacenter

• @yoursunny said: Very effective.

Plus you get insurance to buy new drives.