Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

minimum disk space for centos minimal 7 64bit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

minimum disk space for centos minimal 7 64bit?

hi guys a vps with ssd 5gb could handle a centos minimal 7 64bit install? i currently have centos 6 minimal 64 bit and it uses around 1.3gb and i'm wondering how much would a virgin install of centos 7 would take?

thanks

Comments

• akbakb Member
    edited December 2021

CentOS 7 64-bit fresh install:

# df -h /
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/vda1       9.8G  853M  8.4G  10% /

Thanked by 1gapper
  • henixhenix Member
    edited December 2021

@akb said:
    Fresh CentOS 7 64-bit install:

# df -h /

Fresh Virgin CentOS 7 64-bit install

Thanked by 1gapper
  • I am too tired that I thought both akb and henix have an identical vps and I was like damn what a coincidence and that must have been a very good vps that I missed.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@henix said:

@akb said:
    Fresh CentOS 7 64-bit install:

# df -h /

Fresh Virgin CentOS 7 64-bit install

OOOOHHHH so you are supposed to fuck your VPSs

Thanked by 1gapper
  • @skorupion said: so you are supposed to fuck your VPSs

You will if you put the wrong kernel on it. ;)

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • The minimum is whatever your RAM can handle.

• @akb said:
    CentOS 7 64-bit fresh install:
    # df -h /
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/vda1 9.8G 853M 8.4G 10% /

You can probably pull more out of that too, I find “standard” installs are not as minimal as you'd think. For Debian I install minimal (deselect the standard tools) and after installing the extra bits I usually want, even if I include build-essential because the install will be used to make things for itself or elsewhere, it comes in smaller than standard.

Though remember to account for log growth and such when sizing a VM or other OS install, which will push things in the other direction.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said: You can probably pull more out of that too

I am sure. It should be possible to bring it under 500mb or less. But this is CentOS and there is a limit to which you can go without breaking the system (thanks to yum). Debian on the hand is always lighter on the disk (apt rocks) and can be minimized to great extents.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited December 2021

@gapper said: hi guys a vps with ssd 5gb could handle a centos minimal 7 64bit install? i currently have centos 6 minimal 64 bit and it uses around 1.3gb and i'm wondering how much would a virgin install of centos 7 would take?

Should be about the same, or less if your fresh install wipes old log and cache files.