Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder if people are scalping their KS LE servers...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I wonder if people are scalping their KS LE servers...

stonedstoned Member
edited December 2021 in General

Just wondering...

Also, how is scalping looked upon on these forums?

They want $18 + $12 setup + additional $10-20 for KS-LE xfer

That seem like scalping?

Comments

• It's only scalping if that was your intention when you bought it a lot of the offers I'm seeing are regretful purchases

Thanked by 1stoned
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

@jugganuts said:
    It's only scalping if that was your intention when you bought it a lot of the offers I'm seeing are regretful purchases

Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanks, bruv.

The forum posts seem okay, sure. I was approached in private by a couple of people offering KS LE servers at a slightly higher xfer fee.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sure at this price, a lot of people jumped on it and going to resell it, given the specs you get for 15€.

• Yes i do

• @stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Scalpers are fucking cunts, that’s how it’s viewed.

• And if you’re transferring it for even a penny more than you paid, you’re a cunt. It’s debatable if you should even do that being as the new owner isn’t getting the full month.

• @Nekki said:
    And if you’re transferring it for even a penny more than you paid, you’re a cunt. It’s debatable if you should even do that being as the new owner isn’t getting the full month.

Yes. That's exactly what I was wondering. Because I won't have the full first month of service as well as having to pay extra, almost up to another month's rental fee.

Sounds ... like if someone wants it bad enough, they'll pay the scalpers. That's why the scalpers succeed.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE
    I am ready to transfer for $20.

Reason - network is bad, bad, bad

• @stoned said:

@Nekki said:
    And if you’re transferring it for even a penny more than you paid, you’re a cunt. It’s debatable if you should even do that being as the new owner isn’t getting the full month.

Yes. That's exactly what I was wondering. Because I won't have the full first month of service as well as having to pay extra, almost up to another month's rental fee.

Sounds ... like if someone wants it bad enough, they'll pay the scalpers. That's why the scalpers succeed.

It will happen, you can see how desperate folks are. If I do get rid of mine, I’ll be asking for no more than a reasonable donation to a charity of my choice.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2021

@Nekki said:
    And if you’re transferring it for even a penny more than you paid, you’re a cunt.

I paid USD $15 for a year of VPS, used for 8 months, and charged 45 push-ups for a transfer.
    It's undeterminable whether I charged more than what I paid, because there's no published exchange rate between these currencies.

It’s debatable if you should even do that being as the new owner isn’t getting the full month.

VirMach transfer may take up to 3 months to complete.
    The buyer cannot use the VPS during this period.
    The seller cannot use the VPS either because it could disappear at any moment.
    Who should be paying for the VPS during those 3 months?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @dev_vps said:

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE

When does it expire?

• @SirFoxy said:

@dev_vps said:

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE

When does it expire?

22/Dec/2021

• @dev_vps said:

@SirFoxy said:

@dev_vps said:

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE

When does it expire?

22/Dec/2021

I'll buy it off of you for 15 USD, LTC or Paypal ready.

US Kimsufi account already created.

• @SirFoxy said:

@dev_vps said:

@SirFoxy said:

@dev_vps said:

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE

When does it expire?

22/Dec/2021

Might expire before you get it.
    kimsufi support is slow

• stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

@dev_vps said:

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE

That's reasonable. What's the issue with network?

• @yoursunny said:

@Nekki said:
    And if you’re transferring it for even a penny more than you paid, you’re a cunt.

I paid USD $15 for a year of VPS, used for 8 months, and charged 45 push-ups for a transfer.
    It's undeterminable whether I charged more than what I paid, because there's no published exchange rate between these currencies.

This is the ancient art of bartering, in which every deal is automatically correct as both the buyer and seller have agreed the deal on no form of currency is involved.

It’s debatable if you should even do that being as the new owner isn’t getting the full month.

The seller, clearly. The seller understands the risks involved in the transfer and accepts that if they wish to recoup some of their outlay, they may also lose some time with the VPS. The seller also could use the VPS, they would just need to accept the risk of sudden and brutal data loss - the buyer clearly does not have this option.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

What?! Really? That's absurdly long. I hope mine doesn't have to wait for three months!

• @henix said:

@SirFoxy said:

@dev_vps said:

@SirFoxy said:

@dev_vps said:

@stoned said:
    Just wondering...

That seem like scalping?

Canada KS-LE

When does it expire?

22/Dec/2021

Might expire before you get it.
    kimsufi support is slow

That's why I offered $15, I figure by the time I get it there's going to be about a week before renewal.

• Thanked by 1ehab
  • One should also take into consideration how people love playing the Kimsufi roulette - hoarding many servers, hoping to grab one with some sweet bonus (gigabit speeds, oversized hard disks) ... then discarding the many dull, rusty machines they unfortunately got.
    Pity them.

@Nekki said:

The seller, clearly. The seller understands the risks involved in the transfer and accepts that if they wish to recoup some of their outlay, they may also lose some time with the VPS. The seller also could use the VPS, they would just need to accept the risk of sudden and brutal data loss - the buyer clearly does not have this option.

The provider may or may not wipe the VPS during a transfer.
    If the seller puts anything on the VPS, the buyer could suddenly gain access to the garden.
    If the seller points a domain to the VPS, the buyer could obtain a TLS certificate for the domain and start phishing.
    Therefore, the buyer should be paying for this period.

A similar situation is mail order: seller of physical goods is allowed to charge the credit cards as soon as the product ships; they don't need to wait until delivery.

• @yoursunny said: The provider may or may not wipe the VPS during a transfer.

I have _never _ heard of this happening. Not to say it doesn't, but is clearly not the norm nor is it in any way expected.

If the seller puts anything on the VPS, the buyer could suddenly gain access to the garden.

Something the buyer must accept the risk for, if they chose to use the VPS after the transfer is initated.

If the seller points a domain to the VPS, the buyer could obtain a TLS certificate for the domain and start phishing.

Indeed, but it entirely within the seller's capability to delete the relevant DNS records before this becomes an issue.

Therefore, the buyer should be paying for this period.

Nonsense. I suspect you have been doing push-ups via your forehead again.

A similar situation is mail order: seller of physical goods is allowed to charge the credit cards as soon as the product ships; they don't need to wait until delivery.

Physical items do not, generally, have a time limit on their existence. If they do, the expiry 'clock' does not begin until the buyer 'activates' the purchase. For example, one does not purchase a one-month Brazzers gift card and have it mailed to a sexy friend only for said sexy friend to find they only have 25 days of the subscription remaining due to delivery taking 5-6 days.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Canada KS-LE Server
    This is no longer available as it is sold.

• @dev_vps said:

Canada KS-LE

How bad is bad? Just curious as I was thinking about getting one from someone.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Scalpers are the bane of the society. The very act of scalping should be seen as a third degree murder of nerds, and they must face justice.

I strongly urge LET admins to ban any scalpers. (Yeah, right. rolf)

Anyway, this is exactly why the end is nigh.

• @deank said:
    Scalpers are the bane of the society. The very act of scalping should be seen as a third degree murder of nerds, and they must face justice.

I strongly urge LET admins to ban any scalpers. (Yeah, right. rolf)

Anyway, this is exactly why the end is nigh.

Wasn’t it you that was scalping toilet roll at the beginning of the pandemic?

Thanked by 1TimboJones

Nope, it was a joke.

• @deank said:
    Nope, it was a joke.

So it was you that said it, but you didn’t actually do it. At least I’m not going mad.

@Nekki said:

@yoursunny said: The provider may or may not wipe the VPS during a transfer.

I have _never _ heard of this happening. Not to say it doesn't, but is clearly not the norm nor is it in any way expected.

My first outgoing transfer was @SmartHost and I can still access the VPS for several days after the transfer was processed.
    This means the provider does not wipe the VPS until the buyer reinstalls.

Something the buyer must accept the risk for, if they chose to use the VPS after the transfer is initated.

It's a risk for the seller.
    This implies that the seller cannot safely use the VPS, and thus the transfer period should be paid by the buyer.

Nonsense. I suspect you have been doing push-ups via your forehead again.

Leg days are brutal.

Physical items do not, generally, have a time limit on their existence. If they do, the expiry 'clock' does not begin until the buyer 'activates' the purchase. For example, one does not purchase a one-month Brazzers gift card and have it mailed to a sexy friend only for said sexy friend to find they only have 25 days of the subscription remaining due to delivery taking 5-6 days.

Tello SIM cards, if ordered from the carrier directly, start the clock on the order date, not delivery date.

Milk and most other perishable items have even shorter expiration clocks.
    They start as soon as the item leaves the supplier.
    Even the most expensive delivery service cannot pause the clock.

@Nekki said:
    So it was you that said it, but you didn’t actually do it. At least I’m not going mad.

I was compelled to do it. Saw the opportunity but chose not to do it. It would have been just a few grands of profit.