Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to change ISOs to support more than 2 TB to boot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to change ISOs to support more than 2 TB to boot

CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello LET!

We have had a big problem with our KVM ISOs for some time.

All the ISOs we have except Centos 8 do not boot if they are part larger than 2 TB. How can I solve this problem? Or if I want the host on this forum somehow managed to solve this problem?

I searched on several forums and I didn't find a solution yet, from what I understood all the templates / iso must be recreated, so if someone managed to do this I am willing to pay to give us a copy after The respective ISOs / templates

Regards ,
Calin

Comments

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

I believe it's GPT vs MBR, but standard cloud images should be all fine, or try the official ISO? I have VMs with 30 TB disks made from cloud images.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@lentro I used the official ISOs but they don't work. If I install them on a physical server they boot but not on VPSs with KVM virtualization

I use proxmox with ZFS Partition.

@Calin said:
    I use proxmox with ZFS Partition.

I use Proxmox too. Try Ubuntu cloud images on Proxmox and see if it works:
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cloud-Init_Support

Then try CentOS cloud images. I think they'd work. Not sure why their ISOs don't but I'm pretty sure cloud images would work, as I'm pretty sure there are storage VPS customers I have running CentOS with > 2 TB of storage.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2021

Unfortunately it doesn't work, need .ISO

• @lentro said:
    I believe it's GPT vs MBR, but standard cloud images should be all fine, or try the official ISO? I have VMs with 30 TB disks made from cloud images.

Are the 30TB "disks" for backup purposes? 😳

@tjn said: 30TB "disks"

So for this, I'm running a Ceph storage cluster and just way overprovisioned VMs on it so I wouldn't worry about expanding VM disk space, just adding more Ceph storage servers for the underlying storage.

Thanked by 1tjn