Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law firm says OVH's SBG fire compensation was "inadequate"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Law firm says OVH's SBG fire compensation was "inadequate"

aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

What do you think we'll get as more compensation if they decide to go through with it?

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/ovhcloud-fire-20-customers-sign-up-for-class-action/

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

The article says the customer gets €900 for losing data.
    It's enough.

I'd allow any provider to delete my VPS and then give me 6-month free service.
    The end is nigh.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    The article says the customer gets €900 for losing data.
    It's enough.

I'd allow any provider to delete my VPS and then give me 6-month free service.
    The end is nigh.

I feel the same way. I lost roughly 8-9 machines from the fire, and I luckily had backups for all my customers. I feel that 6 months was more than enough, but if you are storing items worth than $500 you should have a backup plan in the case for this.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2021

@aqua said:
    What do you think we'll get as more compensation if they decide to go through with it?

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/ovhcloud-fire-20-customers-sign-up-for-class-action/

If a customer had been paying OVH to make backups and the backups were also lost in the fire, then I think that a good case could be made for more compensation.

But I have the (perhaps wrong) impression that most if not all of these customers that want to sue didn't have any backup strategy in place, in which case it will be difficult to get more compensation, I think.

Naturally, there are other variables that might play a role such as just how fire-risky OVH's datacenter was, and these variables (if unfavorable to OVH) could very well lead to more compensation (independently of the issue of backups).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Have they made any progress on the button to activate my disaster recovery plan? They announced that I should use it during the outage but I'm still waiting for it to appear in my account. Customers are getting upset.

• @jar said:
    Have they made any progress on the button to activate my disaster recovery plan? They announced that I should use it during the outage but I'm still waiting for it to appear in my account. Customers are getting upset.

You mean the red button? Better do not press it!

Thanked by 2jar webcraft
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

"Inadequate" you say?

Time for the French to burn down another thing then.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Should have downloaded the free disaster recovery plan from twitter.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate