Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Amazon server outage is causing problems for Alexa, Ring, Disney Plus, and deliveries
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

An Amazon server outage is causing problems for Alexa, Ring, Disney Plus, and deliveries

Tony40Tony40 Member
edited December 2021 in Outages

Problems with some Amazon Web Services cloud servers are causing slow loading or failures for significant chunks of the internet. Amazon’s widespread network of data centers powers many of the things you interact with online, including this website, so as we’ve seen in previous AWS outage incidents, ....

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

Thanked by 1lentro

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Who the fuck cares.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Major outage hits Amazon Web Services; many sites affected.

Amazon Web Services suffered a major outage Tuesday, the company said, disrupting access to many popular sites.

The company provides cloud computing services to many governments, universities and companies, including The Associated Press.

https://apnews.com/article/amazon-web-services-outage-978394126305

Thanked by 1lentro
  • ... and IMDb.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I'm left in the darkness because Alexa won't turn on the light…

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

Yeah lol, I know that Alexa runs on AWS so any request you do is processed by AWS servers. Echos are basically just a microphone and an internet connector. If AWS goes out, so could Alexa! That’s crazy to think about!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

There is a emergency buttong, on your light wave generator.
    You can toggle this feature by turning it on and off again, the light wave generator will light up automatically after this.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Candles look pretty cool.

Thanked by 3Falzo 1nf bulbasaur
  • OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited December 2021

What's always nice if AWS is down: Amazon, Amazon Video, etc. are all full up. The prem belongs to us, they think. It's only Disney+ that is down :lol:

From the articles "expert":

“More and more these outages end up being the product of automation and centralization of administration,” he said. “This ends up leading to outages that are hard to completely avoid due to operational complexity but are very impactful when they happen.”

So people - please - diversify: a lot of small ropes are stronger than one big rope.

And by the way: if you are stupid enough to follow the cloud craziness, please use at least different AWS zones for redundancy.

Thanked by 2Tony40 bulbasaur

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

There is a emergency button, on your light wave generator.
    You can toggle this feature by turning it on and off again, the light wave generator will light up automatically after this.

Yes there's a button on the light wave generator.
    It sends a message to the manufacturer's MQTT server, which is also hosted by AWS.

I'm flooding UDP multicast packets all over the house, so that I can get a bit of light from the LEDs on my 48-port Fast Ethernet switch.

@Clouvider said:
    Candles look pretty cool.

• yoursunny branded business card (we don't have candles)
    • yoursunny branded business card (we don't have flashlights)
    • yoursunny branded business card (we don't have batteries)
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

It sends a message to the manufacturer's MQTT server, which is also hosted by AWS.

I'm flooding UDP multicast packets all over the house, so that I can get a bit of light from the LEDs on my 48-port Fast Ethernet switch.

Okay, so you went full retard by buying not only a cloud enabled light wave generator but the entire thing.

Usually, I go by IKEA, and put something cloud shitterly in it.
    IKEA lamps have magic power, with that on/off buttong.

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

Okay, so you went full retard by buying not only a cloud enabled light wave generator but the entire thing.

Usually, I go by IKEA, and put something cloud shitterly in it.
    IKEA lamps have magic power, with that on/off buttong.

Temporary solution:

Now I know why the socket has a sad face on it.

• Home Assistant and Tasmota for the win. Who needs the cloud? :D

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2021

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

Wrong button. You don't want to be known as the guy too stupid to use a light switch. That shit will follow you for life. In a job interview, "wait, you're not the guy who couldn't figure out how to turn off and on their light switch? We don't need people like that here."

It's easier to just open your fridge door and leave it open.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

If it weren't for LET I wouldn;t have known AWS was down. The joys of no alexa, no TV, no smart cooker, etc lol.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    If it weren't for LET I wouldn;t have known AWS was down. The joys of no alexa, no TV, no smart cooker, etc lol.

Here, here! Fuck smart homes.

@Nekki said: Fuck smart homes

eon keep asking me to have a smart meter - no. I don't need some device telling me where my electric is going. Server fans are loud enough I know exactly where it's going.

• @Mr_Tom said:

@Nekki said: Fuck smart homes

eon keep asking me to have a smart meter - no. I don't need some device telling me where my electric is going. Server fans are loud enough I know exactly where it's going.

I had to have one but the display blew up.

They pretty much said they were coming to fit one, so I phoned up and said no - the girl on the phone was like "Can I ask why? We've had people saying they cause headaches/etc so just wondering why?"

• @Mr_Tom said:
    They pretty much said they were coming to fit one, so I phoned up and said no - the girl on the phone was like "Can I ask why? We've had people saying they cause headaches/etc so just wondering why?"

That’s reassuring.

@Nekki said: That’s reassuring.

I think they thought I was some nutjob who was scared it was going to send photos back to MI6/etc. I just said the current setup works fine no need to change it.

• @lentro said:

@yoursunny said:

Yeah lol, I know that Alexa runs on AWS so any request you do is processed by AWS servers. Echos are basically just a microphone and an internet connector. If AWS goes out, so could Alexa! That’s crazy to think about!

That's why IoT in cloud is super dangerous. I still hate it that you can't use alexa/google home without any cloud.

edited December 2021

@SpaceNaut said:

@lentro said:

@yoursunny said:

That's why IoT in cloud is super dangerous. I still hate it that you can't use alexa/google home without any cloud.

There are solutions of running home IoT within the home:

I am among the top 1000 most knowledgeable persons on this topic, but I don't have any real gadgets implementing those protocols.
    The irony.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@SpaceNaut said: without any cloud

That's how they make it so cheap. From what I've heard, you pay for (the $50 for an echo) is the actual cost of the hardware. You get access to AWS and they train their models on your voice for the next few years. If you think about it, it's a huge amt of computing they have to provide, which they subsidize through other profitable AWS services, for years after they don't need the data anymore, it'll prob be a loss leader once they don't need more training data... but Alexa is of strategic importance.

You can prob get an expensive self-hosted alternative but it'd need more hardware onboard.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Users of Disney+, League of Legends, Tinder, Instacart, Venmo, Robinhood, Roku, Kindle, and the McDonalds app are also reporting problems.

https://meoncloud.com/cloud/aws-us-east-1-outage-brings-down-services-around-the-world/

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

This doesn't seem to have impacted my life in the slightest, but it's good for our quarterly reminder that big companies like Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc all suffer major outages as well.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • the only AWS service I use is the free 12 months VPS :D

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Oh didnt know this site was powered by aws... interesting...

• NSA HQ: Why no one's talking to their Alexa?

• @lentro said:

@SpaceNaut said: without any cloud

That's how they make it so cheap. From what I've heard, you pay for (the $50 for an echo) is the actual cost of the hardware. You get access to AWS and they train their models on your voice for the next few years. If you think about it, it's a huge amt of computing they have to provide, which they subsidize through other profitable AWS services, for years after they don't need the data anymore, it'll prob be a loss leader once they don't need more training data... but Alexa is of strategic importance.

You can prob get an expensive self-hosted alternative but it'd need more hardware onboard.

I don't care about hardware. I have a full 42U rack at home.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I feel like I read these type of public cloud outage PSA messages every few months. Where has the reliability gone??

Thanked by 1OhJohn