Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do most sellers of NAT VPS use OpenVZ or LXC instead of Docker?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do most sellers of NAT VPS use OpenVZ or LXC instead of Docker?

I have seen many merchants selling NAT, they will indicate the use of OpenVZ or LXC, as well as KVM, but I have never encountered Docker, what is the reason for this?

What are their considerations when choosing an architecture

Comments

• Docker does not allow systemd, which is a dealbreaker for most people.

Thanked by 3ehab Ouji Erisa
  • By default, systemd is not allowed, but some configurations can be used to allow it

• @Blast said: By default, systemd is not allowed, but some configurations can be used to allow it

You would need to allow writes to the /sys directory of the host for systemd to work, no wonder why people don't use it that way.

• @Blast said:
    By default, systemd is not allowed, but some configurations can be used to allow it

Configurations that allow systemd also introduce security issues.

• @ehhthing said:

@Blast said:
    By default, systemd is not allowed, but some configurations can be used to allow it

Configurations that allow systemd also introduce security issues.

It is true, if it is based on security considerations, it is really not suitable, and Docker does not have a complete VM permission compared to LXC/OpenVZ

• @stevewatson301 said:

@Blast said: By default, systemd is not allowed, but some configurations can be used to allow it

You would need to allow writes to the /sys directory of the host for systemd to work, no wonder why people don't use it that way.

This might be a bad way

• Docker isn't intended to run that way. Usually you use docker to package your applications (for example php-fpm) so that you can it run on "every" system. With docker-compose or kubernetes you then can define your application stack (php-fpm + Nginx + mysql) so that your application really works.

Docker and kubernetes are way more complex to explain it in a short comment.

• Indeed, this introduction explains well why LXC is better than Docker.

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/#application-containers-vs-system-containers

Thanked by 10xbkt
  • You've seen providers whom offer NAT KVM? Please share.

• bshbsh Member
    edited December 2021

@Privacy said:
    You've seen providers whom offer NAT KVM? Please share.

@Neoon is here

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@bsh said:

@Privacy said:

@Neoon is here

Thanked by 2ehab hzhoanglee
  • @Blast said:
    Indeed, this introduction explains well why LXC is better than Docker.

There is no "better than". The two serve whole different purposes. It's comparing apple with peaches.

Thanked by 2Erisa tux
  • @bsh said:
    @Neoon is here

I was referring to something I could purchase :)

• tjntjn Member
    edited December 2021

@Privacy said:

Why would you want NAT KVM? I can't imagine the price difference being drastically lower to justify it

• @SpaceNaut said:

@Blast said:
    Indeed, this introduction explains well why LXC is better than Docker.

There is no "better than". The two serve whole different purposes. It's comparing apple with peaches.

Indeed, the application scenarios are different.

Thanked by 2SpaceNaut tux
  • @tjn said:

@Privacy said:

Why would you want NAT KVM? I can't imagine the price difference being drastically lower to justify it

Because the price can be very low.

• @Privacy said:

@bsh said:
    @Neoon is here

I was referring to something I could purchase :)

For hosting your tiny ssh?

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

@Privacy said:

https://budgetvm.host

Thanked by 1MrH
  • @WebHorizon used to offer KVM NAT

Thanked by 1Abd
  • Docker is NOT VIRTUALIZATION

Thanked by 1SpaceNaut
  • @masedi said:
    Docker is NOT VIRTUALIZATION

Neither is LXC. Nor VZ IIRC.

The difference is that docker is intended for application containerisation (you want to easily deploy, and perhaps sandbox, applications on a machine, physical or virtual, that you control) where LXC and VZ are intended for OS level containerisation (where you want to run fuller OS environments on a host of yours, or use one of those environments on someone else's host, without the extra overhead of “proper” virtualisation). The key difference between OS containers and full VMs is the the contained OS shares the kernel with the host. The security and management models between the three concepts.

Thanked by 2raynor tux
  • @tjn said:

KVM would be more expensive since it takes more resources on the host node. KVM is better because you run your own kernel and it's true virtualization. OVZ is fine, especially for ~128MB but KVM will happily run on 128MB despite it using a little more RAM because you're not using the host kernel.

• @Privacy said:

@tjn said:

KVM would be more expensive since it takes more resources on the host node. KVM is better because you run your own kernel and it's true virtualization. OVZ is fine, especially for ~128MB but KVM will happily run on 128MB despite it using a little more RAM because you're not using the host kernel.

Who has the advantage of LXC vs OVZ?

• @Privacy said:

@tjn said:

Oh no, I totally get the benefits of KVM - I think I didn't phrase my question right.
    What I was trying to say/assume is that, there probably aren't a lot of hosts selling NAT KVM's because their price would be too close to a "regular" KVM with its own IPv4 address.

• @Blast said:

I believe OpenVZ does but I have no experience running it as a provider. LXC has had more vulnerabilities than OpenVZ, at least lately. It's a safer virtualization and provides better isolation, especially on the network level.

• @Privacy said:

@Blast said:

I believe OpenVZ does but I have no experience running it as a provider. LXC has had more vulnerabilities than OpenVZ, at least lately. It's a safer virtualization and provides better isolation, especially on the network level.

Then let's play OVZ together.