Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Analytics alternative Matomo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Analytics alternative Matomo

Anyone tried Matomo either their cloud plan or aelf hosted solution.

Is it better than Google Analytics?

It says, Google Analytics alternative that protects your data and your customers' privacy.

Share your thoughts on this.

Comments

• @ariq01 said:
    You may try umami

https://github.com/mikecao/umami

Interesting.
    Umami is one of flavor in Japan.

• I use Plausible Analytics, enough for my needs

• Nothing beats Google Analytics, but Matomo is a very good alternative to GA as it provides more detailed data compared to other self-hosted analytics. It "protects" your data and customers' privacy because the data would be in your hand, but it's up to you whether you want to respect their privacy or not.

Self-hosting analytics can get expensive real quick if your website is popular, you need a lot of RAM and disk space for database. I've switched many servers so many times from OVH's VPS Elite to Hetzner's AX101, they always end up full, even though I have auto archive feature ON and did optimization here and there. AX101 is probably overkill for Matomo with one not-so-popular website, but I'm tired of maintaining it.

I've tried Plausible too, but it performed slower than Matomo in my experience, despite being advertised light and fast. I might try umami in the future.

Thanked by 1Kassem
  • Yes, I'm using self hosted Matomo on all my sites. Google Analytics cannot log Chinese visitors for obvious reasons, so self-hosted Matomo definitely does the job better in this regard. It does put more load on your server, but that's not an issue if your server performance is overkill anyway.

If you are using wordpress, Matomo has a wordpress plugin allowing you to easily incorporate it into your websites.

• Matomo +1

Google Analytics -1

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited December 2021

@Doutei said:
    Nothing beats Google Analytics, but Matomo is a very good alternative to GA as it provides more detailed data compared to other self-hosted analytics. It "protects" your data and customers' privacy because the data would be in your hand, but it's up to you whether you want to respect their privacy or not.

Self-hosting analytics can get expensive real quick if your website is popular, you need a lot of RAM and disk space for database. I've switched many servers so many times from OVH's VPS Elite to Hetzner's AX101, they always end up full, even though I have auto archive feature ON and did optimization here and there. AX101 is probably overkill for Matomo with one not-so-popular website, but I'm tired of maintaining it.

I've tried Plausible too, but it performed slower than Matomo in my experience, despite being advertised light and fast. I might try umami in the future.

Thanks, this will save time. I'll skip Plausible and will try Mamoto and umami too.

@dedipromo said:
    Yes, I'm using self hosted Matomo on all my sites. Google Analytics cannot log Chinese visitors for obvious reasons, so self-hosted Matomo definitely does the job better in this regard. It does put more load on your server, but that's not an issue if your server performance is overkill anyway.

If you are using wordpress, Matomo has a wordpress plugin allowing you to easily incorporate it into your websites.

Noted. I'll give it a spin with my spare VPS.

Right now I'm using MonsterInsight pro and considering to switch to another solution as suggested by my Wallabag app.

• titustitus Member
    edited December 2021

+1 for Matomo (Piwik)

I usually prefer the self-hosted solutions. I'm really satisfied with Matomo (Piwik). But if you have a lot website and/or lot of visitor, and want to generate lot of report (by email, or other way), it need a lot of resources (server side). The database can grew really big over the years.. But I love it, because 'my datas in my own hands'.

• @dedipromo said:

Don’t even need the plugin. Just add the code to your child theme functions file.

• Been using umami. My low-end VPS can handle just fine as I don't have much traffic.

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

+1 for Matomo too.

Running it for a couple of years now, it's not as feature-rich and detailed as Google - they just have more data to factor in.
    One thing that annoys me though is that Google does not pass on search terms to Matomo, the Google Search Console will be your friend for that.

If you self-host it you fully control your customer's data, their privacy is up to you.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited December 2021

66analytics
    usefathom
    alpina.io
    pirsch.io
    microanalytics.io
    https://piwik.pro/core-plan/
    I have been aware of alternative services, so I just searched the browser history.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2021

microanalytics.io looks awesome. I'm getting it. I am a bit concerned about the 10k visits limit but I don't think I will hit that? I have 15k unique monthly visits on CloudFlare, but on analytics it's just 3k visits per month.

Alternatively I can just buy 66analytics and self host my data

• Yandex Metrica. Has heat map, form analytics, no sampling and awesome dashboard.
    https://metrica.yandex.com/about/info/features

In terms of privacy I think its also better than GA, as data isnt centralized. Yandex get analytics from just one site, it doesnt know your search history (Google Search), browse history (Chrome), what you watch (YouTube) etc... if we would have all of our data decentralized then one company would have near-useless amount of it and pieces wouldnt be matched together.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • Anyone self hosted Matomo with < 1GB RAM?

• It was not known as Piwik earlier. Not used it recently....

• https://goaccess.io/ is pretty good

• @varwww said:
    https://goaccess.io/ is pretty good

Goaccess = A Real-Time Apache and Nginx) Web Server Log Analyzer

This might be lighter than all the solutions above but can not be used for remote website.