Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Share your knowledge] ❓ OVH Game & GRE Tunnel ❓
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Share your knowledge] ❓ OVH Game & GRE Tunnel ❓

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
edited December 2021 in Help

Hi, there!
I'm Florin, one of the owners of https://hazi.ro.
I would like to talk with those who have experience with OVH dedicated servers & GRE tunnels having OVH at one end.

My question is: Did you had network issues for tunneled traffic? If yes, how did you solved them?

For me, the difference is so huge as I download directly something with 10Mbps and with tunneled IP only 500Kbps (same source).

Any feedback is welcome!

Best regards, Florin.

One more thing:
Moved tunnel from OVH Germany -> Romania to OVH Germany -> OVH France and got exactly same result.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

It is OVH and tunneled traffic, you don't fix it.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:

Thank you for reply!
    Unfortunatelly OVH can't confirm this but having this issue everywhere is an important point.

Their reply on my request related to this fact:

Hello,

Following our conversation, we would like to inform you that we don't set any limits on the  GRE tunnels speed, you may need to wait the confirmation in the other ticket if the server has any hardware issue, otherwise, you may need to look into your software configuration for further assistance,

We remain at your disposal for further assistance.

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

OVHs VAC will pickup that traffic super quickly and rate-limit or even block it outright. VAC does not respect firewall rules either when it comes to "mitigating attacks"... often GRE gets dropped entirely for many people.

Thanked by 2FlorinMarian tux
  • does buyvm support such protocol/service? maybe they can help idk

@wdmg said:
    OVHs VAC will pickup that traffic super quickly and rate-limit or even block it outright. VAC does not respect firewall rules either when it comes to "mitigating attacks"... often GRE gets dropped entirely for many people.

Thank you for feedback!
    This could be a good starting point but as far I know, they don't filter internal traffic and this issue is active also when I have OVH servers on both ends.
    Best regards, Florin.

@MikeA said:

@wdmg said:

I'm sorry for that I didn't understood that it is impossible to be fixed and I've played again with it.
    In my opinion one-way is already fixed (500Mbps Deutschland - Romania) is quite good.

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 480 Mbits/sec   | 74.9 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 241 Mbits/sec   | 108 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 623 Mbits/sec   | 94.3 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 96.8 Mbits/sec  | 108 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 416 Mbits/sec   | 72.7 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 333 Mbits/sec   | 87.1 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 311 Mbits/sec   | 24.5 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 218 Mbits/sec   | 114 Mbits/sec

Next I'll have to discover why it is so bad during download :smile:

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hi, there!
    I would like to talk with those who have experience with OVH dedicated servers & GRE tunnels having OVH at one end.

My question is: Did you had network issues for tunneled traffic? If yes, how did you solved them?

For me, the difference is so huge as I download directly something with 10Mbps and with tunneled IP only 500Kbps (same source).

Any feedback is welcome!

Best regards, Florin.

One more thing:
    Moved tunnel from OVH Germany -> Romania to OVH Germany -> OVH France and got exactly same result.

check that the interface is with the correct mtu (1476 for the classic gre).

@CiprianoOscar said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hi, there!

Any feedback is welcome!

Best regards, Florin.

One more thing:

check that the interface is with the correct mtu (1476 for the classic gre).

Thank you for feedback!

Is still hard to figure out what's wrong.

Here's IPIP tunnel with 1454 mtu:

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 478 Mbits/sec   | 173 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 423 Mbits/sec   | 172 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 405 Mbits/sec   | 291 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 101 Mbits/sec   | 154 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 157 Mbits/sec   | 55.6 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 193 Mbits/sec   | 90.9 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 108 Mbits/sec   | 147 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 153 Mbits/sec   | 152 Mbits/sec

and here is GRE tunnel with 1476 mtu:

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 391 Mbits/sec   | 190 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 412 Mbits/sec   | 274 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 350 Mbits/sec   | 260 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 114 Mbits/sec   | 94.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 179 Mbits/sec   | 127 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 125 Mbits/sec   | 162 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 102 Mbits/sec   | 65.0 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 121 Mbits/sec   | 105 Mbits/sec

Both setups have 1428 as mss value.

Best regards, Florin.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Try using different IP's.

@Neoon said:

What you mean?

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

What you mean?

You use one IP for ingress and another one for egress.
    Also, regarding the 500Kbps, it makes sense, the client usually does not send that much, even if you got 2-3 clients per IP.

AntiDDoS applies only external, maybe worth trying forwarding it through another OVH box without Game AntiDDoS and forwarding from there.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
    edited December 2021

@Neoon said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

What you mean?

Also, regarding the 500Kbps, it makes sense, the client usually does not send that much, even if you got 2-3 clients per IP.

AntiDDoS applies only external, maybe worth trying forwarding it through another OVH box without Game AntiDDoS and forwarding from there.

Unfortunately both boxes I have on OVH are on GAME range.
    I've bypassed few kbps limit but still 30% of total network speed isn't cool.
    Best regards, Florin.

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

What you mean?

Best regards, Florin.

Get a Kimsufi, test it, they used to be very cheap.
    Otherwise just get a OVH VPS I guess.

@Neoon said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

What you mean?

Best regards, Florin.

Get a Kimsufi, test it, they used to be very cheap.
    Otherwise just get a OVH VPS I guess.

Kimsufi & VPS servers are not suitable because my goal is to forward IPs from OVH to Romania and Kimsufi has only 1 IP address and VPS has max. 16, still useless.
    Best regards, Florin.

I don't know if this can help but it can be a test.

In the anti ddos protection control panel, try to whitelist the ipv4 of the server in romania.

@CiprianoOscar said:

In the anti ddos protection control panel, try to whitelist the ipv4 of the server in romania.

Did it with v4 and GRE protocols, nothing changed.

@FlorinMarian said:

@CiprianoOscar said:

Did it with v4 and GRE protocols, nothing changed.

contact me on telegram : @oscarcipriano

Hello!
    As far I remember, I've discussed with some LET providers which said that they have succeed to solve GRE bottleneck using OVH support system.
    May I have a DM from one of them to talk about this?
    Thank you!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2021

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
     OVH-----Kimsufi-----Romania 
    /

Kimsufi acts as a router for the OVH IPs.
    From OVH point of view, GRE traffic comes from Kimsufi, so that it doesn't trigger DDoS alert.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
    /

From OVH point of view, GRE traffic comes from Kimsufi, so that it doesn't trigger DDoS alert.

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
    /

How many push-ups you did to discover my secret plan?
    You're unbelievable !

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
    /

You're unbelievable !

How many push-ups will you do in my honor for finding this solution?
    You're incredible!

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
    /

You're unbelievable !

You're incredible!

I'll do all of them, you deserve this :love:

Thanked by 1yoursunny
    edited December 2021

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
    /

You're unbelievable !

You're incredible!

Once you got the solution working, will you contribute a push-up video for broadcast on https://pushups.ndn.today ?

• i will not use GRE

bandwidth eater

vps suspender

@ehab said:
    i will not use GRE

bandwidth eater

vps suspender

What you mean regarding "VPS suspender"?

• @FlorinMarian said:

i had my vps suspended with a provider some years ago because of GRE, it consumed 1T25GB just overnight and had reached my monthly limit.

once burned, never again.

@ehab said:

@FlorinMarian said:

i had my vps suspended with a provider some years ago because of GRE, it consumed 1T25GB just overnight and had reached my monthly limit.

once burned, never again.

GRE doesn't affect amount of traffic consumed, so that could happen also without any tunnel behind. Single thing involved is that you consume bandwidth at two ends at the same time, but not double bandwidth on same host.

Thanked by 1AXYZE

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@yoursunny said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Neoon said:

Tunnel through Kimsufi?

\    GRE         GRE
    /

You're unbelievable !

You're incredible!

Once you got the solution working, will you contribute a push-up video for broadcast on https://pushups.ndn.today ?

Don't say that again.
    Keep in mind I've realised 2 months ago that thing I can't do even a push-up.
    Count those 5 as 50 because for a while I'm an indoor man.

https://hazi.ro/5-for-yoursunny.mp4

• good info.