Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner auction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner auction

Is it likely to even find a good deal on here? I’m new to hetzner and it’s not even an auction you pay the price it’s listed for “auction”

Comments

• It depends. Hetzner used to have great deals available on auctions, but as the price is obviously driven by supply and demand...
    The auction is a reverse-auction, as the prices go down every x hours and the sooner people buy, the higher the price.

Cheers

• @Wolf said:
    It depends. Hetzner used to have great deals available on auctions, but as the price is obviously driven by supply and demand...
    The auction is a reverse-auction, as the prices go down every x hours and the sooner people buy, the higher the price.

Cheers

Yeah i noticed that over the last few days

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@allthemtings said:
    Is it likely to even find a good deal on here? I’m new to hetzner and it’s not even an auction you pay the price it’s listed for “auction”

is better if you buy a normal plan servers. Some auction servers have meaningless prices.

• @CiprianoOscar said:

@allthemtings said:

is better if you buy a normal plan servers. Some auction servers have meaningless prices.

Some of the servers have really nice specs for the price but once you run it and benchmark you see why

• @allthemtings said:

@CiprianoOscar said:

@allthemtings said:

Some of the servers have really nice specs for the price but once you run it and benchmark you see why

can you explain "why" ?

• I have seen disk issues, kernel panic sometimes. And most importantly they are just tower pc's

• @shell said:

@allthemtings said:

@CiprianoOscar said:

@allthemtings said:

can you explain "why" ?

@l2o88j said:
    I have seen disk issues, kernel panic sometimes. And most importantly they are just tower pc's

Pretty much covers it

• I have been using various Hetzner auction servers for many, many years. Never had an issue. When a disk fails or is acting wonky, you contact support and get a replacement.

And yes, Hetzner mostly runs consumer hardware as most other providers at that price point do. Their support and network are way above average though.

Last auction server I had was an Intel E3 4C Xeon with 32 GB RAM, 2x 512 GB SSDs and a 4 TB HDD for around 39 EUR/month.

• rodnorthrodnorth Member
    edited December 2021

Their auction servers is built by the hardware that should be discarded but you can find some great deals sometimes depends on your lucky.
    I once used a server which has i7-4770 with 32GB DDR3, 2x3 TB HDD for about 24 eur per month. The only drawback is although I use a RAID 0, its I/O speed can reach up to only 200MB/s. But I would like to say although its disk sucks, I haven't run into any issues such as disk fail or server down.

• JesusJesus Member
    edited December 2021

I have been using dozens of their auction servers since they started that thing and never, ever faced issues that one would not face with other servers too. I had them change disks from time to time and their response times and the downtime for the change were ridiculous low, even on the weekend. I really see no need to get a more expensive server if the specs of an auction server suit you. 10/10 for Hetzner after being a customer for more than a decade.

Thanked by 2afn Falzo