Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you set up a VPS as a VPN - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you set up a VPS as a VPN

2»

Comments

• @skorupion said:

I use this:

Heathen!
    Stick with @Nyr

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@AlwaysSkint said:

@skorupion said:

I use this:

Heathen!
    Stick with @Nyr

eh it works idc

• @skorupion said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@skorupion said:

I use this:

Heathen!
    Stick with @Nyr

eh it works idc

Agreed I would use an nyrs but unfortunately he just hides too many configuration options with his script

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I don't like to use scripts.
    I want to understand how things work at the API level.
    I want to understand the meaning of each option.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@skorupion said: eh it works idc

Well, mine also works and it is the original project.

I already explained previously: this other guy forked my work, claimed it was insecure based on some misconceptions ("your RSA keys are too short!", "this cipher is better!") and presented a "secure" low-effort fork breaking lots of stuff which got popular and is even getting funded on Patreon for it. He has also removed the typical GitHub notice in the header showing that his repository is a fork of mine and just includes a small mention hidden deep in the readme.

Of course you can use whatever you want, but I think it is important to explain how things happened.

@jugganuts said: Agreed I would use an nyrs but unfortunately he just hides too many configuration options with his script

I do not hide anything, I just apply the "KISS" philosophy to this project. I prefer to say no to new and shiny features in exchange for simplicity, excellent compatibility (much better in my project) and ease of maintainance over the years.

That said, if there is something which you would like to see implemented, I am open to consider suggestions.

• @yoursunny said:

I agree with you and disagree at the same time. Scripts are useful for automating a routine process and saving time. I use a stripped-down OpenVPN Nyr script with modifications to fit my needs.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@VayVayKa said:

@yoursunny said:

I agree with you and disagree at the same time. Scripts are useful for automating a routine process and saving time. I use a stripped-down OpenVPN Nyr script with modifications to fit my needs.

Nyr script is interactive with support for multiple OS.
    I hate those interactive stuff.
    When I make script, everything is specified on the command line (flags or environment), so that I can reproduce the same setup.

For my own servers, I have a folder of text files that I can copy-paste.
    Not script, but similar.

• @yoursunny said:
    For my own servers, I have a folder of text files that I can copy-paste.
    Not script, but similar.

I'm afraid to surprise you, but I also have a similar folder with text files;)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Nyr said:

@skorupion said: eh it works idc

Well, mine also works and it is the original project.

I already explained previously: this other guy forked my work, claimed it was insecure based on some misconceptions ("your RSA keys are too short!", "this cipher is better!") and presented a "secure" low-effort fork breaking lots of stuff which got popular and is even getting funded on Patreon for it. He has also removed the typical GitHub notice in the header showing that his repository is a fork of mine and just includes a small mention hidden deep in the readme.

Of course you can use whatever you want, but I think it is important to explain how things happened.

@jugganuts said: Agreed I would use an nyrs but unfortunately he just hides too many configuration options with his script

I do not hide anything, I just apply the "KISS" philosophy to this project. I prefer to say no to new and shiny features in exchange for simplicity, excellent compatibility (much better in my project) and ease of maintainance over the years.

That said, if there is something which you would like to see implemented, I am open to consider suggestions.

Ur honesly kinda fucked by the other guy as he shows up on too with Google searches

• I use printunl now so far good, I know actually do with CLI but if you need Web UI this good option.

Also @Nyr have great script for it.