Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your opinion on VirMach? Can do Matrix homeservers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your opinion on VirMach? Can do Matrix homeservers?

Hello fellow stoned people and not so stoned people! <3

I am thinking of running a Matrix server on a cheap affordable @VirMach server. They don't have IPv6, but HE.net tunnel would do fine I think. What's the word on VirMach servers and running a Matrix server?

They seem somewhat restrictive in the AUP and have some limitations on what you can/cannot do/run and I was wondering if a Matrix server might put too much load on them and they end up canceling you without refund? I see a lot of awesome deals on the Flash deals page, like sometimes up to 5-6GB RAM and 2-4vCPU for $20-30/yr.

How's their support, as in making sure everything on their end is up and running?

What kind of servers do they host your instances on?

Is the RAM DDR3 or DDR4? How old are the CPUs?

If you need to compile something that may take a few hours, could that kind of CPU consumption violate the AUP (of VirMach or any other providers really on Fair Share CPU Use)?

Thank you. Sincerely,

The stoned Guy
:smile:

Comments

• Could you maybe recommend some providers where we can run Matrix homeserver? Who would be a good hosts for it?

• virmach cannot ignore DMCA, if your home server has illegal files, then it will be suspended

• Virmach is a bit like RackNerd. (Over)selling CC. If it's good enough for you, fine. In my opinion better give your money to another provider.

They are very strict on CPU usage.

@stoned said: If you need to compile something that may take a few hours, could that kind of CPU consumption violate the AUP

Yes. They first kill the process, then shut down the VM. Not the right provider for CPU intensive tasks.

Thanked by 2nezam05 bulbasaur
  • @stoned said:
    Hello fellow stoned people and not so stoned people! <3

I am thinking of running a Matrix server on a cheap affordable @VirMach server. They don't have IPv6, but HE.net tunnel would do fine I think. What's the word on VirMach servers and running a Matrix server?

They seem somewhat restrictive in the AUP and have some limitations on what you can/cannot do/run and I was wondering if a Matrix server might put too much load on them and they end up canceling you without refund? I see a lot of awesome deals on the Flash deals page, like sometimes up to 5-6GB RAM and 2-4vCPU for $20-30/yr.

How's their support, as in making sure everything on their end is up and running?

If you need to compile something that may take a few hours, could that kind of CPU consumption violate the AUP (of VirMach or any other providers really on Fair Share CPU Use)?

Thank you. Sincerely,

The stoned Guy
    :smile:

There's absolutely no shared environment you should be compiling shit for several hours. Get a dedicated server, FFS.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2021

@TimboJones said:

@stoned said:

There's absolutely no shared environment you should be compiling shit for several hours. Get a dedicated server, FFS.

@EvolutionHost offers "100% dedicated resources".
    I can compile or encode for hours without facing warnings.

After about 2 hours, it's throttled to about 30%.
    The next day, I can use 100% CPU again.

Back to @VirMach , they allow 33% persistent CPU usage, sampled every hour.
    If you are found to exceed 33% three times in a week, you would be warned.
    Therefore, you can use 100% CPU for up to 179 minutes consecutively without triggering a warning, but wait at least 8 days before you do that again.

The actual threshold is more than 33% but @VirMach wouldn't reveal the number.
    They just said 33% serves as a lower bound that you can safely use.

Nowadays I compile things on GitHub Actions, and then download the .deb packages.
    When CPU usage is a concern, I use Docker or systemd to limit CPU usage to 30%.

Thanked by 3pbx MrH rhinoduck
  • Well sometimes you need to do dev work and for that you need to compile certain things, as repository packages are old, and emacs is my env or choice so I have to pretty much compile it from source on every box I get.

Other than webdev stuff, there isn't anything else I would be worried about compilling.

• @stoned said:
    Well sometimes you need to do dev work and for that you need to compile certain things, as repository packages are old, and emacs is my env or choice so I have to pretty much compile it from source on every box I get.

Other than webdev stuff, there isn't anything else I would be worried about compilling.

We all compile shit, but not for hours or you're doing it wrong.

@TimboJones said:

@stoned said:
    Well sometimes you need to do dev work and for that you need to compile certain things, as repository packages are old, and emacs is my env or choice so I have to pretty much compile it from source on every box I get.

Compiling the kernel will take hours.
    Compiling GCC will take hours.
    There's nothing wrong with that.

Thanked by 1stoned
  • @stoned said:

Their support is fine, don't expect quick responses on $20-30/year instances. If you need fast support, you can pay for it. Uptime is great, and I'm sure they'll deal with outages quickly.

The servers are all e5v1/v2 systems, but they're planning to move to Ryzen soon. Some locations are already Ryzen, like Phoenix.

RAM is DDR3, and the e5 CPUs they use are generally from around 2011-2012.

Overall pretty good provider, I idle quite a few boxes from them and use them for various projects.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@stoned said:

Yes, get fucking dedicated resources if you're going to do that.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2021

@pbx said: (Over)selling CC.

Their Ryzen systems are not CC systems - They own all the hardware for those.

@stoned said: If you need to compile something that may take a few hours, could that kind of CPU consumption violate the AUP (of VirMach or any other providers really on Fair Share CPU Use)?

Depends on the CPU usage. If you throttle it so it only uses ~30% CPU, it should be fine at most hosts, as long as it's just a few hours.

Most of the very cheap providers, with the exception of HostHatch and maybe a few others, do not give you guaranteed CPU usage and instead only grant "fair share", which basically means that you can't cause other user's experience to degrade by eating all the CPU.

HostHatch generally tell you how much CPU you can use for their deals, eg "50% dedicated"

For very heavy CPU usage, I'd recommend a host that has dedicated CPU, like BuyVM (on $15/month and above plans) or HostHatch (usually on 8+ GB RAM Black Friday plans), or a host that doesn't limit CPU usage (like Wishosting). Dedicated CPU like BuyVM should give you guaranteed performance, whereas Wishosting is still shared but you never get suspended due to excessive CPU usage.

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@stoned said:

Who said I don't have a dedi?
    It's faster than your E5v2.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2021

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@stoned said:

For large projects like these I sometimes spin up a very beefy VPS (large number of cores, 32GB+ RAM) at a provider that supports hourly billing, or just compile it at home on a VM that uses the same OS (or at least same glibc version) and copy the resulting binaries across.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@stoned said:

Who said I don't have a dedi?

At no point were any of your replies relevant or helpful about compiling on shared resources.