Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I/O Performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I/O Performance

TheBrokenBeeTheBrokenBee Member
edited December 2021 in General

Recently picked up a storage server. I am not really sure if the IO speeds here are upto par but what exactly are implications of different write speeds of 4K/64K/512K/1M in terms of system performance? Is it better to have better 4k speeds or 1m speeds?

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 33.68 MB/s    (8.4k) | 206.21 MB/s   (3.2k)
Write      | 33.76 MB/s    (8.4k) | 207.30 MB/s   (3.2k)
Total      | 67.45 MB/s   (16.8k) | 413.51 MB/s   (6.4k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 211.69 MB/s    (413) | 209.83 MB/s    (204)
Write      | 222.94 MB/s    (435) | 223.81 MB/s    (218)
Total      | 434.64 MB/s    (848) | 433.65 MB/s    (422)

Comments

• Depends on your use case. Roughly: great 4k values mean better overall responsiveness whenever disk is under heavy load (lots of r/w operations, smokin'hot database, metadata update etc.). If huge speeds when reading/writing (big) files matter to you (e.g. to upload or download lotz of ISOz very very fast), other values are important too.

Thanked by 2Falzo _MS_
  • @Shot2 said:
    Depends on your use case. Roughly: great 4k values mean better overall responsiveness whenever disk is under heavy load (lots of r/w operations, smokin'hot database, metadata update etc.). If huge speeds when reading/writing (big) files matter to you (e.g. to upload or download lotz of ISOz very very fast), other values are important too.

Are these values in the original post good for a HDD?

• @TheBrokenBee said:

@Shot2 said:
    Depends on your use case. Roughly: great 4k values mean better overall responsiveness whenever disk is under heavy load (lots of r/w operations, smokin'hot database, metadata update etc.). If huge speeds when reading/writing (big) files matter to you (e.g. to upload or download lotz of ISOz very very fast), other values are important too.

yes, they are pretty decent i'd say

• @TheBrokenBee said: Is it better to have better 4k speeds or 1m speeds?

4K speeds are always going to be slower than 1M speeds as this is (I assume) random access. For traditional drives this will mean much more time spent moving the heads around, and for SSDs there will still be a difference but a much less pronounced one.

Which benchmark is more meaningful to you, if either, depends massively on what you'll be using the server for.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TheBrokenBee said:
    Recently picked up a storage server. I am not really sure if the IO speeds here are upto par but what exactly are implications of different write speeds of 4K/64K/512K/1M in terms of system performance? Is it better to have better 4k speeds or 1m speeds?

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k (IOPS) | 64k (IOPS)
    ------ | --- ---- | ---- ----
    Read | 33.68 MB/s (8.4k) | 206.21 MB/s (3.2k)
    Write | 33.76 MB/s (8.4k) | 207.30 MB/s (3.2k)
    Total | 67.45 MB/s (16.8k) | 413.51 MB/s (6.4k)
    | |
    Block Size | 512k (IOPS) | 1m (IOPS)
    ------ | --- ---- | ---- ----
    Read | 211.69 MB/s (413) | 209.83 MB/s (204)
    Write | 222.94 MB/s (435) | 223.81 MB/s (218)
    Total | 434.64 MB/s (848) | 433.65 MB/s (422)

IF those numbers reflect real disk performance they are quite good. Do not expect those numbers with your applications though.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

Those are numbers are good for HDD, yes.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep

@speedypage said: Those are numbers are good for HDD, yes.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @dedicatserver_ro said:

agreed, from the numbers that's either SSD or well cached HDD raid/zfs etc.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2021

@Falzo said:

@dedicatserver_ro said:

agreed, from the numbers that's either SSD or well cached HDD raid/zfs etc.

He specifically asked for HDD! so yes they are good for HDD? o:)

• @TheBrokenBee said:

@Shot2 said:

They're way too good for HDD. Its SSD/RAM cached.
    In fact your 4k speeds are 4x better than "SSD" plan in Contabo.

Storage plan with that kind of performance? Amazing!

4k is important for random small data - example: databases.
    1M is important for big files - example: streaming videos.

Thanked by 1ariq01

@AXYZE said:

@TheBrokenBee said:

@Shot2 said:

They're way too good for HDD. Its SSD/RAM cached.
    In fact your 4k speeds are 4x better than "SSD" plan in Contabo.

Storage plan with that kind of performance? Amazing!

4k is important for random small data - example: databases.
    1M is important for big files - example: streaming videos.

Or, shorter: A disk with good 4K speed (and decent IOPS) will virtually always also be decent at larger block sizes.

• TheBrokenBeeTheBrokenBee Member
    edited December 2021

How do folks feel about this as a SSD when the above was a HDD? Why is the 4K so much slower or is that normal?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@TheBrokenBee said:

How do folks feel about this as a SSD when the above was a HDD? Why is the 4K so much slower or is that normal?

the 4k is iops limited.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @TheBrokenBee said:

This test DOESNT REFLECT HDD. We already replied to it. Its impossible to get such HIGH 4K speeds. average HDD has just 1MB/s in 4K. This test is on RAM/SSD Cache of this server, because no HDD can reach these speeds.

• @skorupion said: the 4k is iops limited.

this.

as @skorupion wrote the new bench does look like IO is limited - which from a providers makes sense to balnce systems more easily. this might be preferable from a user point of view as well if the limit is a reasonable one and keeps otherwise noisy neighbours at bay.

in comparison the numbers from the initial bench won't represent raw HDD perfomance as that's simply crossing technical limitations. instead what you have there is in some way cached as already pointed out.

as always: take every benchmark with a grain of salt. it's usually just a narrow and specific scenario that leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation. does not mean any of those two thingies is bad at all.

@TheBrokenBee said:

First: Be very mistrusting when read and write speeds are basically the same, because in reality they are not by any means.

Now, if I forgot everything I know about disks and about benchmarking them that is if I just looked at the write speed results and bluntly trusted them, I'd say that that disk is highly likely an SSD and one with about typical performance.

But I don't. I prefer to think that those results may show anything from a heavily cached HDD up to a (not exactly great) NVMe or, btw, a network attached (cached, of course) drive but probably is about a SSD.
    Although, frankly, based on those numbers I'd prefer to limit my comment to a polite "Uhum. Interesting".