Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


DisneyPlus recommends that people do not use IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

DisneyPlus recommends that people do not use IPv6

mcgreemcgree Member
edited November 2021 in General

ref:https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=c91af021dbe46850b03cc58a139619ed

Customer sees "DRM license request failed" message on LG TV WebOS 3.8 or above
There's no error code. Customer only sees the message "DRM license resquest failed" on LG TV WebOS 3.8 or above.

Just in case, first ask the customer to check if there's no system updates needed. If problem insists on occurring, it's because Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is blocking the Disney+ app.

WHAT TO DO

How to prevent IPv6 from blocking the Disney+ app and fix the error message:

Access the main menu;
Go to "Network";
Choose the network connection: Wired Connection (Ethernet) or Wifi Connection
Choose the "Advanced Settings" option;
There will be a tiny menu where shows whether IPv6 is on or off. The last step is to disable IPv6.

Comments

  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

    Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is blocking the Disney+ app.

    Lmao what? "Blocking"
    Maybe they don't have or Support ipv6 and just need to tell their users in a way a noob can understand why the App not working

  • @HostSlick said:

    Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is blocking the Disney+ app.

    Lmao what? "Blocking"
    Maybe they don't have or Support ipv6 and just need to tell their users in a way a noob can understand why the App not working

    In fact, their CDN supports IPv6.

  • The problem is with the LG WebOS.
    I helped a friend when he bought a new LG TV not to long ago, and we could not get Disney+, HBO or Youtube to work. Netflix worked though. After disabling IPv6, everything worked.
    My Samsung runs everything just fine, and I use only IPv6.

  • They want to identify and block non residential and VPN IPs.
    Can't do it with ipv6, i 🤔

  • @rcy026 said:
    The problem is with the LG WebOS.
    I helped a friend when he bought a new LG TV not to long ago, and we could not get Disney+, HBO or Youtube to work. Netflix worked though. After disabling IPv6, everything worked.
    My Samsung runs everything just fine, and I use only IPv6.

    If you do not provide an IPv4 connection, you will not be able to access disneyplus.com

  • ezethezeth Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

    @mcgree said:

    @rcy026 said:
    The problem is with the LG WebOS.
    I helped a friend when he bought a new LG TV not to long ago, and we could not get Disney+, HBO or Youtube to work. Netflix worked though. After disabling IPv6, everything worked.
    My Samsung runs everything just fine, and I use only IPv6.

    If you do not provide an IPv4 connection, you will not be able to access disneyplus.com

    Then you need to switch ISP. If an ISP doesn't give IPv4 then it's their problem.

    Besides, It's their business so let them block ipv6 if they want. Just like any other business they have the right to decide who to serve

  • @mcgree said: If you do not provide an IPv4 connection, you will not be able to access disneyplus.com

    I can access on a IPv6 only VPS, but I use DNS64

  • @mcgree said:

    @rcy026 said:
    The problem is with the LG WebOS.
    I helped a friend when he bought a new LG TV not to long ago, and we could not get Disney+, HBO or Youtube to work. Netflix worked though. After disabling IPv6, everything worked.
    My Samsung runs everything just fine, and I use only IPv6.

    If you do not provide an IPv4 connection, you will not be able to access disneyplus.com

    But you are able to access www.disneyplus.com. Seems like the people over at Disney needs to get their shit together.

    nslookup -q=AAAA www.disneyplus.com
    Server: 8.8.8.8
    Address: 8.8.8.8#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    www.disneyplus.com canonical name = www.disneyplus.com.edgekey.net.
    www.disneyplus.com.edgekey.net canonical name = e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net.
    Name: e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net
    Address: 2600:1406:c800:380::37a5
    Name: e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net
    Address: 2600:1406:c800:387::37a5

    Besides, the app in the TV probably does not use the same address as their website.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Host Rep

    I do think it’s something to do with their DRM license server so hasn’t been setup to support IPv6 addresses

  • @WebProject said:
    I do think it’s something to do with their DRM license server so hasn’t been setup to support IPv6 addresses

    I've also tried to force certain domains to interpret Disney Plus IPv6, and then I can't watch any content.

    @ezeth

  • @mcgree said:
    ref:https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=c91af021dbe46850b03cc58a139619ed

    Customer sees "DRM license request failed" message on LG TV WebOS 3.8 or above
    There's no error code. Customer only sees the message "DRM license resquest failed" on LG TV WebOS 3.8 or above.

    Just in case, first ask the customer to check if there's no system updates needed. If problem insists on occurring, it's because Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is blocking the Disney+ app.

    WHAT TO DO

    How to prevent IPv6 from blocking the Disney+ app and fix the error message:

    Access the main menu;
    Go to "Network";
    Choose the network connection: Wired Connection (Ethernet) or Wifi Connection
    Choose the "Advanced Settings" option;
    There will be a tiny menu where shows whether IPv6 is on or off. The last step is to disable IPv6.

    This happens when you "share the car" as they say on hostloc. Too many people in the car and it will overturn.

    Thanked by 1jmgcaguicla
  • @dahartigan said:
    This happens when you "share the car" as they say on hostloc. Too many people in the car and it will overturn.

    These posts are now my daily fortune cookies. Please keep 'em coming.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

    title said:
    DisneyPlus recommends that people do not use IPv6

    Hahaha

  • Disney: we recommend people buying blue ray but not Warner's blue ray, only Disney's.

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    tl;tr

    Woke people cannot use IPv6.

    Thanked by 2dedipromo ViridWeb
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    @mcgree said:

    How to prevent IPv6 from blocking the Disney+ app and fix the error message:

    There will be a tiny menu where shows whether IPv6 is on or off. The last step is to disable IPv6.

    Why don't they simply delete the AAAA record?

  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

    @dahartigan said:

    @mcgree said:
    ref:https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=c91af021dbe46850b03cc58a139619ed

    Customer sees "DRM license request failed" message on LG TV WebOS 3.8 or above
    There's no error code. Customer only sees the message "DRM license resquest failed" on LG TV WebOS 3.8 or above.

    Just in case, first ask the customer to check if there's no system updates needed. If problem insists on occurring, it's because Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is blocking the Disney+ app.

    WHAT TO DO

    How to prevent IPv6 from blocking the Disney+ app and fix the error message:

    Access the main menu;
    Go to "Network";
    Choose the network connection: Wired Connection (Ethernet) or Wifi Connection
    Choose the "Advanced Settings" option;
    There will be a tiny menu where shows whether IPv6 is on or off. The last step is to disable IPv6.

    This happens when you "share the car" as they say on hostloc. Too many people in the car and it will overturn.

    No IPv6 per Disney? Join our engine room.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • mcgreemcgree Member
    edited November 2021

    @yoursunny said:

    @mcgree said:

    How to prevent IPv6 from blocking the Disney+ app and fix the error message:

    There will be a tiny menu where shows whether IPv6 is on or off. The last step is to disable IPv6.

    Why don't they simply delete the AAAA record?

    IPv6 is because they use a CDN that supports IPv6, just like GitHub. While GitHub itself does not support IPv6, the CDN does, except that when you access GitHub, the CDN does not return IPv6.

    GitHub CDN domain name: sni.github.map.fastly.net
    Disney Plus CDN domain name: api.edge.bamgrid.com (sometimes return akamai cdn)

  • imokimok Member
    edited November 2021

    DisneyPlus Tech Rep here. We don't want people to stop using IPv6. We want you to stop using WebOS. Also, fuck Mickey.

    /j

  • @imok said:
    DisneyPlus Tech Rep here. We don't want people to stop using IPv6. We want you to stop using WebOS. Also, fuck Mickey.

    /j

    Thanked by 2imok ViridWeb
  • jarjar Member, Patron Provider

    I hate it when IPv6 blocks my internet. I wrote an angry letter to the CEO of IPv6 but haven't heard back. Time to start writing letters to their investors.

  • Azayaka_MiraiAzayaka_Mirai Member, Host Rep

    @mcgree said:
    IPv6 is because they use a CDN that supports IPv6, just like GitHub. While GitHub itself does not support IPv6, the CDN does, except that when you access GitHub, the CDN does not return IPv6.

    GitHub CDN domain name: sni.github.map.fastly.net
    Disney Plus CDN domain name: api.edge.bamgrid.com (sometimes return akamai cdn)

    Yeah the CDNs used by Disney+ all support IPv6. However, it seems Disney+ refuses to utilize them.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Host Rep

    @yoursunny said:

    @mcgree said:

    How to prevent IPv6 from blocking the Disney+ app and fix the error message:

    There will be a tiny menu where shows whether IPv6 is on or off. The last step is to disable IPv6.

    Why don't they simply delete the AAAA record?

    Very complicated task

  • tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

    Stumbled upon this also since my cable provider switched to IPv6.. had to force IPv4 resolution for Disney+ to work properly.

    Incredible, but true.

Sign In or Register to comment.