Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are all the ovh sites ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are all the ovh sites ?

First of all, Would you guys recommended buying a domain name with ovh?
if yes, Which one of OVHs you would choose from ? ovh.ie, ovh.com, ovhcloud.com?
To be more specific, would it make a difference for someone live in the north american now? Thank you for your inputs.

Comments

• I have most domains at OVH and theres no problems, but check if Cloudflare/Google Domains/Dynadot/Namecheap/Porkbun wont give you better prices for TLDs that you need.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Check tld-list.com for prices
    OVH is fine for domains, and it doesn’t matter which site you use, no matter where ur from. I’m from the US and I use ovh.ie with no issues

Thanked by 1momomo
  • I'm using .ovh domain from ovh for a tech blog.

• @JasonM said:
    I'm using .ovh domain from ovh for a tech blog.

ok, but where did you get your .ovh domain. and how do you like it so far ?

• @AXYZE said:
    I have most domains at OVH and theres no problems, but check if Cloudflare/Google Domains/Dynadot/Namecheap/Porkbun wont give you better prices for TLDs that you need.

yes. will do, but what about the services that they provide? When it some to domain, if there are only less than a dollar difference. We should choose one with better service provider. Shouldn't we ?

• @momomo said: where did you get your .ovh domain

at ovh UK site.

Thanked by 1momomo
  • @momomo said:

@AXYZE said:
    I have most domains at OVH and theres no problems, but check if Cloudflare/Google Domains/Dynadot/Namecheap/Porkbun wont give you better prices for TLDs that you need.

yes. will do, but what about the services that they provide? When it some to domain, if there are only less than a dollar difference. We should choose one with better service provider. Shouldn't we ?

What "better service" do you expect? Its just a registrar and domain just points to IP of your server. If company doesn't do shady stuff like hidden costs, expensive renewal etc. then youre good.

Thanked by 1momomo
  • Hi @JasonM, When you purchased the domain with ovh, what privacy package do you received ? From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

• @bruh21 said:
    Check tld-list.com for prices
    OVH is fine for domains, and it doesn’t matter which site you use, no matter where ur from. I’m from the US and I use ovh.ie with no issues

Hi @bruh21 When you purchased the domain with ovh.ie, what privacy package do you received ? From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

• @momomo said: From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

If I recall correctly, they do offer whois privacy. (It might not be available for some tlds, but generally they do have it)

I think I registered on ovh.ie because back then that was where it was cheapest. If you care about pennies then check the exchange rates.

• momomomomomo Member
    edited November 2021

@smallbibi said:

@momomo said: From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

If I recall correctly, they do offer whois privacy. (It might not be available for some tlds, but generally they do have it)

I think I registered on ovh.ie because back then that was where it was cheapest. If you care about pennies then check the exchange rates.

I just revisited tld-list. under Free feature. "WHOIS Privacy, redacted per GDPR".
    But under WHOIS Privacy, Unsupported is listed.
    Is that true that GDPR has better WHOIS Privacy then "regular" WHOIS ?

• I use namecheap because well they are awesome. I'm not sure why / what possible benefit you want to use OVH for this.

• @KermEd said:
    I use namecheap because well they are awesome. I'm not sure why / what possible benefit you want to use OVH for this.

price. since OVH has the best 3 years value.

• @momomo said:

@smallbibi said:

@momomo said: From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

I just revisited tld-list. under Free feature. "WHOIS Privacy, redacted per GDPR".
    But under WHOIS Privacy, Unsupported is listed.
    Is that true that GDPR has better WHOIS Privacy then "regular" WHOIS ?

I think "WHOIS Privacy, redacted per GDPR" means because ovh is in EU, they redact whois information for you due to GDPR. It's some weird lingo, but just treat it as whois privacy.

@KermEd said: I use namecheap because well they are awesome. I'm not sure why / what possible benefit you want to use OVH for this.

OVH offers some uncommon tlds for cheap. Those are pretty good for testing I guess?

• @momomo said:

@KermEd said:
    I use namecheap because well they are awesome. I'm not sure why / what possible benefit you want to use OVH for this.

I refuse to believe someone on LET would put price ahead of quality :D :D :lol:

• @smallbibi > @KermEd said:

@momomo said:

@KermEd said:

I refuse to believe someone on LET would put price ahead of quality :D :D :lol:

Not really since OVH also has decent reviews. If you pay a bit more attention to my previous reply. I don't put price ahead of quality. Maybe you have some experience with OVH that you would like to share to provide more inputs.(?)

• @momomo said:

Not really since OVH also has decent reviews. If you pay a bit more attention to my previous reply. I don't put price ahead of quality. Maybe you have some experience with OVH that you would like to share to provide more inputs.(?)

OVH is great if you don't mind their server buildings smell like farts. It can't be healthy.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @KermEd said:

@momomo said:

OVH is great if you don't mind their server buildings smell like farts. It can't be healthy.

Hahahahaha,

not sure what to say since I am pretty new to hosting. Maybe there is a story about the smell.
    (will keep that in mind.)

• @momomo said: Hi @JasonM, When you purchased the domain with ovh, what privacy package do you received ? From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

.ovh has whois privacy.
    check it here: https://www.ovh.ie/domains//owo_service.xml#o

you've to use OWO service for it. Only real name is displayed. rest of the address, email, telephone number is masked.

• @JasonM said:

@momomo said: Hi @JasonM, When you purchased the domain with ovh, what privacy package do you received ? From tld-list, Who is privacy is Unsupported. Not really a deal breaker for you? Or you just have way to get around it ?

.ovh has whois privacy.
    check it here: https://www.ovh.ie/domains//owo_service.xml#o

you've to use OWO service for it. Only real name is displayed. rest of the address, email, telephone number is masked.

Yes, I think OWO service is already included as a replacement for WHOIS Privacy since I just looked up the domain with ovh.ie. It gives

Registrant:
        Mailing Address: XX
        Contact Uri: [email protected]

REDACTED FOR PRIVACY:
    Some of the data in this object may have been removed. To send message to domain contacts, visit https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/lp/request-ovhcloud-registered-domain/

My other domain with nameSilo gives nothing like that. I think nameSilo is "better". Not sure what other features of OWO though.