Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD vs Intel E5 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD vs Intel E5 ?

Hello all,
I do not understand why here is always so hoped for AMD what is the difference if I get 2 Intel cores or 2 AMD cores where does that make a difference in the end if it is only Virteulle cores and no dedicated cores.

What makes it profitable in the end where to spend more money to get AMD cores I do not understand the difference.

If I run on my VPS only a Linux GUI with a few programs like Firefox and some things why should I choose AMD ?

If in the end the hosting provider throttles the virtual cores again it makes no difference anyway. See hosthatch where, for example, it depends on which plan you take and accordingly seen percentage performance gets from the cores.

Comments

• E5 V2 is an very old CPUs, some providers are still using them.

It's weaker than newly AMD CPUs.

But if you got new Intel E5 (2019 to present), it's as good as AMD.

Thanked by 3TeoM sebkehl tux
  • @giang said:
    E5 V2 is an very old CPUs, some providers are still using them.

What makes the old CPU bad if both have 2.5 GHz at the end ? Per core

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2021

Hey, I bought a new car, but it's throttled to 50% of max speed, that doesen't matter.

Cool mate, I bought a new car too, it's throttled to 50% of max speed too.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2021

@TeoM Love the question.
    In summary people want performance. A provider with AMD Ryzen most likely will provide that. While this is a Desktop CPU it works pretty good in server environments.

But to answer your question directly:
    1- Hype.
    2- Some providers do dedicated threads on the Ryzen offers.

-Getting as much performance for less buck is the goal in these wild lands.

Thanked by 2TeoM jsg
  • elliotcelliotc Member
    edited November 2021

@TeoM said:

@giang said:

Cache size, better algorithm, better predictor etc. All these means better I/O performance.
    The "GHz" is not the bottleneck, the I/O is.

For example, a mathematical genius, his brain is always the same brain. However, He did better calculation after he learn more. because he know how to better handle datas.

Thanked by 1TeoM
  • gianggiang Veteran
    edited November 2021

@TeoM said:

@giang said:

I don't know much about it.

But newer CPU will have better performance at the same GHz.

There will be also, newer CPU = newer RAM (DDR4 vs DDR3), higher bandwidth...

Thanked by 2TeoM tux
  • sure, do buy up all the intel deals so i can focus on AMD leftovers.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

E5 is a fucking bus.
    What you wanna get is EPYC or Ryzen (AMD).

Its worth paying a bit more to grab a decent INTEL or AMD + NVMe.
    SSD these days is a fucking Bus too.

• AMD, more often than not it is matched with NVMe

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2021

More important than Ryzen or Intel is the network and support quality. I would rather be in an oldie E5 but on a solid network and with a company that have useful support techs.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2021

In reality an e5v2 or newer host node is perfectly fast enough for just about anything you could throw at it (assuming your use case matches the general specifications of the container).

The AMD Ryzen platform is great, yes, but much of it is hype.

Thanked by 2jsg Hxxx
  • depend which E5... but sadly most offer old v2 or V1 :(

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

If they’re similar in price, buy the AMD. If you don’t care about cpu, then E5 is fine to save money

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2021

It also depends what we are comparing. If you are given the option to select between a Ryzen KVM VPS (with 2 or 3 cores) versus a FULL DEDI SERVER Dual E5 XEON, clearly you should go with the dedicated server E5 choice.

The norm is that CORES in a KVM offering are in reality Threads. Even if the cores are dedicated you are just getting threads. However if you are given the choice between Dual E5 Xeon and an AMD Ryzen 3900X (both dedicated servers), Ryzen will probably be the best choice in such case.

Anyway Ryzens = Desktop CPU
    Can we talk EPYCS? I know I know... sorry

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2021

@giang said:

and E5 26xx v4 is in the same ballpark as AMD Epyc and some are even faster.

TeoM said:

'GHz' is just a number and its meaning can vary a lot.

@elliotc said:
    Cache size, better algorithm, better predictor etc. All these means better I/O performance.
    The "GHz" is not the bottleneck, the I/O is.

... or not. IO to/fro RAM can be, IO to/fro disks, network, etc very rarely is and in the LET segment virtually never is.

Plus that's true for all processors (intel, AMD, Arm, Power)

@Hxxx said:
    -Getting as much performance for less buck is the goal in these wild lands.

@jbiloh said:
    In reality an e5v2 or newer host node is perfectly fast enough for just about anything you could throw at it (assuming your use case matches the general specifications of the container).

Hurray, kudos @Hxxx, @jbiloh. I'm glad to see that there still are some people who haven't lost their sense of reality.

How important is the processor performance of an idling system really? And that's what many LE systems do, they idle.
    How important is the processor performance of many if not most LE systems that are at least used really? Hint: The low end segment wouldn't work and would collapse if users really needed and used the performance they think they need ...

The AMD Ryzen platform is great, yes, but much of it is hype.

In terms of performance sooner or later highly likely yes. But IMO the decisive point wasn't really performance per se, it rather was 8 (or even more) cores with decent (actually excellent) performance at a reasonable price.

TL;DR Old E5-26xx v2 are reasonable processors with enough speed for very many use cases, and E5 26xx v4 are really fine processors with really decent speed and considering the system price (as opposed to only the CPU price) they are probably the smart choice for the LE segment. Ryzens are nice and I very much like mine and so are Epycs (for servers) but system costs are much higher (as in 5x to even 10x).

Oh, and btw. I've seen many cases where an Epyc was not faster then an E5-26xx v4.

• There has been a lot of great marketing all over about the Ryzen platform and how it runs circles around everything else. There however isn't any actual guarantee of performance compared to any other CPU. If the node is oversubscribed enough then performance will be abysmal no matter the CPU. As well I think the all the weird naming of Intel processors is not helping matters. Case in point:

@giang said:

E5v2 - Q3 2013 release date
    E5v4 - Q1 2016 release date

There isn't even a E5 series after 2016. Intel sells the Xeons as Scalable Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum and a ton of model numbers with a variety of different performance characteristics. The earliest Ryzen was released Q1 2017 and I'd hope on a per core performance it beats any Intel from 2013-2016. I'd also hope any Intel whether Xeon or not released this year would outperform on a per core basis a Ryzen from 2017.

Whether you're a user or provider you really shouldn't be loyal to a specific CPU maker. Your choice should be about performance and availability.

• If you're looking at Intel processors, Xeon Gold is better.

E5 is fine and honestly works well enough for many use cases. The older ones were expensive at launch but they're very cheap now, due to their age. Providers can get them from secondhand/retired servers on eBay and similar sites. Dollar-for-dollar, they used to be hard to beat, until Ryzen came along, and everyone knows LowEndTalk cares about every dollar.

Some of the E5 processors are 10 years old now though, and processor technology has improved a LOT in the past 10 years.

There are some use cases that greatly benefit from the improved I/O speeds of newer processors. For anything dealing with a LOT of data in RAM, you can definitely feel a difference between DDR3-1600 and DDR4-3600.

• @TeoM u french?

• @afn said:
    @TeoM u french?

No

• The answer to this depends on whether you are a LowEndHost or a LowEndCustomer.

• @TeoM said:

@afn said:
    @TeoM u french?

No

"Virteulle cores" sounded too frenchy to me (misspelled ) :joy:

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited November 2021

a Ryzen 3700X and above can theoretically complete operations and idle faster than a dual E5v2 and hence have a higher contention ratio apart from being limited to 128GB ram , not to mention DDR4 memory.

also with newer hardware it is more likely to use fast SSDs / NVMe, smashing the older E5s on just about anything.

network is network and has no influence on hardware. but if the CPU/IO has higher headroom then it can theoretically burst concurrently at higher network speeds as well.

• @cybertech you missed the point where I mentioned a VPS Ryzen (KVM) vs an Dual E5 dedi.

Your argument is valid comparing two dedicated server.
    Network is very important. Old CPU + Stable network better than New CPU + terrible network.

• ARM M1 based vps will be a different ballgame. Looking forward to them

• @Hxxx said:
    @cybertech you missed the point where I mentioned a VPS Ryzen (KVM) vs an Dual E5 dedi.

Your argument is valid comparing two dedicated server.
    Network is very important. Old CPU + Stable network better than New CPU + terrible network.

im not debating your point but merely raising my own opinions. comparing contention ratio, clocks for clocks, power consumption and all, AMD Ryzen/EPYC has good balance. if it werent for raptoreum hype, it might be good time to invest in such hardware next year, when ram prices start to fall from oversupply.

Thanked by 1Hxxx