Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to link home router to storage vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to link home router to storage vps?

Thinking of buying a storage deal this BF but how can I use my Asus router to link to the storage like a network drive. E.g. i go Windows file explorer can see the Z:\ drive which is the storage of the vps.

Comments

• I don't know that you can do that with the router (maybe DD-WRT supports it?), but you can certainly map a SFTP server to a network drive in Windows. There are several apps, including winsshfs and RaiDrive.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2021

Set up NFS/Samba on the VPS, slap your laptop and the VPS on a private network (use Tailscale, ZeroTier, WireGuard, whatever the fuck you want) and call it a day.

EDIT: Why does it have to be the router? Why not just directly from your machine?

• Because i have multiple desktop n laptops n mobiles at home. Currently hooking a local 2 bay nas to router for every devices to access. Wonder if such ideology work for a remote storage.

• @bustersg said:
    Because i have multiple desktop n laptops n mobiles at home. Currently hooking a local 2 bay nas to router for every devices to access. Wonder if such ideology work for a remote storage.

You'd usually have a separate small box for that (e.g. RPi, Intel NUC) so you don't fuck your home network while working on the storage, anyhoo even if you do it on the router itself shouldn't change anything given your router runs (or is flashable) Linux

• sshfs

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

On storage server: create an iSCSI target.
    Between storage server and home router: you should have VPN because iSCSI is unencrypted.
    On home router: setup iSCSI initiator and SAMBA server.
    On laptop: map network drive.

• I think its easier to use sshfs or ftpfs to mount the server to a local mountpoint.

• Can sshfs ftpfs work on ipv6 only storage vps?