Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί if it ain't broke, don't fix it
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

this thread has two parts:

1) for the consumers (some midwestern terminology):

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

if what you have right now works perfectly fine, you don't need anything else.

don't buy it.

black friday / cyber monday were invented by marketers to turn a holiday about spending time with your family into making another mans pockets fatter.

2) for the providers (an analysis of buyvm):

build a strong brand, build a strong community.

more importantly:

have built in scarcity.

buyvm doesn't have to make deals they don't even break even on, they have natural built in scarcity from being bootstrapped and limiting availability.

you don't need to make "break even deals" if your product is naturally scarce.

price cuts (in the terms of LET) are an easy way to get right now money, and an easy way to have scarcity, but it's rarely the right way for a bootstrapped company.

my two cents.

happy thanksgiving,
foxy.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Γ…

• @SirFoxy said:

don't buy it.

black friday / cyber monday were invented by marketers to turn a holiday about spending time with your family into making another mans pockets fatter.

more importantly:

have built in scarcity.

buyvm doesn't have to make deals they don't even break even on, they have natural built in scarcity from being bootstrapped and limiting availability.

price cuts (in the terms of LET) are an easy way to get right now money, and an easy way to have scarcity, but it's rarely the right way for a bootstrapped company.

my two cents.

happy thanksgiving,
    foxy.

I just bought another VPS to make it idling and support my fav Provider.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SirFoxy said:
    don't buy it.

LET gang creates the illusion that I always need one more server, even if my current servers are likely enough to serve my viewers and readers.

I have this Fitbit Alta HR since 2018.
    It ain't broke, but the battery life has shortened, and it may not last another year.
    Fitbit Versa 2 is $119 right now.
    Should I buy it?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited November 2021

@yoursunny said:

@SirFoxy said:
    don't buy it.

LET gang creates the illusion that I always need one more server, even if my current servers are likely enough to serve my viewers and readers.

I have this Fitbit Alta HR since 2018.
    It ain't broke, but the battery life has shortened, and it may not last another year.
    Fitbit Versa 2 is $119 right now.
    Should I buy it?

lol your smart as fuck and use caddy, so you know you could probably serve 90% of your use case on a 2gb vps.

in terms of the fitbit:

if you think it's worth it and yours is on its death bed, sure.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • peenus

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @jmgcaguicla said:
    peenus

peenus πŸ—ΏπŸ¦ƒπŸ†πŸ’¦

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SirFoxy said: lol your smart as fuck and use caddy, so you know you could probably serve 90% of your use case on a 2gb vps.

Caddy crashes all the time. @yoursunny and others on matrix have shown this. Better go and draw a graph to show this just like the other based anti-LiteSpeed truther.

• @ferefient said:

@SirFoxy said: lol your smart as fuck and use caddy, so you know you could probably serve 90% of your use case on a 2gb vps.

Caddy crashes all the time. @yoursunny and others on matrix have shown this. Better go and draw a graph to show this just like the other based anti-LiteSpeed truther.

weasel no weaseling

Thanked by 2bulbasaur dahartigan
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SirFoxy said: lol your smart as fuck and use caddy, so you know you could probably serve 90% of your use case on a 2gb vps.

Actually no.
    For video streaming, the January push-ups report concludes:

• Having higher estimated bandwidth allows higher video resolutions.
    • Most viewers were using a router near them.
    • Higher bandwidth and resolution can be achieved only if the router is near the viewer.
    • However, connecting to a nearby router does not imply a high resolution.

If there's only one content router, many viewers will experience worse video quality.
    However, I don't yet know what's the right density of content routers.

What I know is that, I should stop buying 1GB, and instead get β‰₯2GB servers, because RAM (used as cache in content router) is becoming a bottleneck in recent experiment.

@ferefient said:

Caddy crashes when someone opened thousands of TLS connections to my server.
    It's not a Caddy bug.
    It's caused by OOM killer because each connection needs a certain amount of RAM.
    See the naughty list of offending IPs, whom will receive a lump of coal on Christmas.

Thanked by 1ferefient
  • @yoursunny said:

Actually no.
    For video streaming, the January push-ups report concludes:

• Having higher estimated bandwidth allows higher video resolutions.
    • Most viewers were using a router near them.
    • Higher bandwidth and resolution can be achieved only if the router is near the viewer.
    • However, connecting to a nearby router does not imply a high resolution.

If there's only one content router, many viewers will experience worse video quality.
    However, I don't yet know what's the right density of content routers.

What I know is that, I should stop buying 1GB, and instead get β‰₯2GB servers, because RAM (used as cache in content router) is becoming a bottleneck in recent experiment.

@ferefient said:

Caddy crashes when someone opened thousands of TLS connections to my server.
    It's not a Caddy bug.
    It's caused by OOM killer because each connection needs a certain amount of RAM.
    See the naughty list of offending IPs, whom will receive a lump of coal on Christmas.

video streaming is the key point here.

• @netomx said:
    Γ…

Γ…

• @Fritz said:

@SirFoxy said:

don't buy it.

more importantly:

have built in scarcity.

my two cents.

happy thanksgiving,
    foxy.

I just bought another VPS to make it idling and support my fav Provider.

By all means, if you believe in them, then support them.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2021

Always fix if not broken. You will brake it and someone will fix that for you. Always buy to future proof your-self. Buying stimulates huge amount of endorfin release, you will be high af.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @LTniger said:
    Always fix if not broken. You will brake it and someone will fix that for you. Always buy to future proof your-self. Buying stimulates huge amount of endorfin release, you will be high af.

That's the rush.

P.S. Don't sell HostWP, let's hop on a call & partner up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I guess I'm lucky. My model works really well with attractive promos. The key is avoiding the temptation the rest of the year. It's easy to say "I'd really like to expand this one thing, and a promo would fund it." But do it too often and it bites in the ass. Right now I'm just stock piling payroll. I sleep better with an excessive buffer.

• @jar said:
    I guess I'm lucky. My model works really well with attractive promos. The key is avoiding the temptation the rest of the year. It's easy to say "I'd really like to expand this one thing, and a promo would fund it." But do it too often and it bites in the ass. Right now I'm just stock piling payroll. I sleep better with an excessive buffer.

That's the thing.

You're a smart man. You don't rely on it.

You built a good brand outside of sales.

As someone who literally used to hate you (lol, love you Jarland) - you built a brand out of being a better product.

That's totally fine. You can have sales. You have like one a year.

This was speaking for those who primarily rely on it to bring in money.

P.S. Avoid the temptation, it's addictive to see a lot of money coming in at once, but do the math. Keep the buffer.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @raindog308

$100 bounty to anyone who implements a feature to capitalize the first letter of all sentences in posts written by @SirFoxy. People shouldn't think he's stupid and uneducated just because he's too lazy to fucking use English properly.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited November 2021

@TimboJones said:
    @raindog308

$100 bounty to anyone who implements a feature to capitalize the first letter of all sentences in posts written by @SirFoxy. People shouldn't think he's stupid and uneducated just because he's too lazy to fucking use English properly.

aww, love you too timbo.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

What does me still stun, is that western capitalists figured, the fuck is BF 4-5 days before you get monthly checkue.

They must be fucking stupid right.
    Some western spies figured it out, some not.

Fucking stunning.

• @Neoon said:
    What does me still stun, is that western capitalists figured, the fuck is BF 4-5 days before you get monthly checkue.

Fucking stunning.

I sent out an email to my list about this today.

Doing the inverse of what everyone else is doing usually pays off in the long term.

It's about building a brand, not making money now.

• @SirFoxy said:

@Neoon said:

Fucking stunning.

Doing the inverse of what everyone else is doing usually pays off in the long term.

I respect you but some people from marketing world have never had a company in their hands. I mean when you have never invested in own real life project the words are just .....nothing. I mean buy x product , sell it at higher price,do ads on every channel, be better than rest of the products and cheaper and pay the marketing fee firstly( risk of running out of money) Do not take it personally . but the vast majority of marketing people are like the gurus selling how to be rich . If someone has the knowledge of selling goods and doing marketing at high level mmmm why usually marketing people do not invest and ask for a credit to create that product .

Thanked by 2dev077 bulbasaur
  • @Chievo said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Neoon said:

Fucking stunning.

I respect you but some people from marketing world have never had a company in their hands. I mean when you have never invested in own real life project the words are just .....nothing. I mean buy x product , sell it at higher price,do ads on every channel, be better than rest of the products and cheaper and pay the marketing fee firstly( risk of running out of money) Do not take it personally . but the vast majority of marketing people are like the gurus selling how to be rich . If someone has the knowledge of selling goods and doing marketing at high level mmmm why usually marketing people do not invest and ask for a credit to create that product .

I have invested in a real life project, I spent 60,000 USD in a SaaS, broke my back to break even, that's where I learned.

I understand most marketing people are "gurus", that's why I'm the inverse. Fuck a guru.

I literally make nothing out of this forum, I just speak game.

I make enough money outside of this, this is a hobby, granted out of pure transparency, I see a dime in a dozen, we can hop on a call..

Thanked by 2Chievo TimboJones
  • @SirFoxy said:

@Chievo said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Neoon said:

Fucking stunning.

I have invested in a real life project, I spent 60,000 USD in a SaaS, broke my back to break even, that's where I learned.

I understand most marketing people are "gurus", that's why I'm the inverse. Fuck a guru.

I make enough money outside of this, this is a hobby, granted out of pure transparency, I see a dime in a dozen, we can hop on a call..

Yeah i was not speaking about you in concrete ;)

• @Chievo said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Chievo said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Neoon said:

Fucking stunning.

Yeah i was not speaking about you in concrete ;)

Still, I hate that shit.

Makes my job harder.

Anyways, much love.

Thanked by 2Chievo TimboJones
  • @SirFoxy said: if what you have right now works perfectly fine, you don't need anything else.

don't buy it.

Exactly. And a great deal idling = money wasted that could pay for a decent VPS when you'll actually need it.

• @ferefient said:

my caddy has never crashed and it's reverse proxying 20 sites