Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM shared cores / vCores
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM shared cores / vCores

I thought KVM vps's have dedicated resources, so if the CPU was a epyc 64 core 128 thread, and a VPS was sold as 2 shared cores or 2 vCores, that KVM would have 1 Core with 2 threads.

and assuming the servers KVMs all had the same number of shared cores (1 core 2 threads) the total number of KVM on that server could not be higher than 64.

I know OpenVZ and zen are different. But i always thought KVM was like a virtual dedicated VPS that had allocated access that could not be shared.

Or have i got it all wrong?

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

KVM cpu can be shared and multiple people can be using the same core

KVM is not necessarily dedicated but this is the preferred virtualization for dedicated core VPS

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

AFAIK a provider can - and most do - allocate and sell a 'vCore' that's only a part of a hardware thread. And btw, AFAIK '2 vCores' does not mean that they are on the same physical core.

TL;DR 'vCore' seems to pretty much mean whatever a provider pleases it to mean.

Thanked by 2TerokNor nocloud
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

I had a dual sixcore dedicated server, and I created 40 quad-core KVM virtual machines out of it.
    The 12 physical cores are shared among 160 virtual cores.

• @yoursunny said: The 12 physical cores are shared among 160 virtual cores.

Sometimes we make a careful choice between price and performance. If all resources in KVM are dedicated, the skyrocketing costs will leave us no VPS to play with, and the forum may have to change the name to "High-End-Talk", which I personally dislike.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ask_seek_knock said:

@yoursunny said: The 12 physical cores are shared among 160 virtual cores.

Sometimes we make a careful choice between price and performance. If all resources in KVM are dedicated, the skyrocketing costs will leave us no VPS to play with, and the forum may have to change the name to "High-End-Talk", which I personally dislike.

There's no price involved in the said sserver.
    It is for educational use.
    Each student in computer networking class receives two virtual machines to play with.

CPU is massively oversold.
    Students are advised not to wait until the last day to do their assignments.
    Even if they are doing the assignment on the last day, make a small C file takes a fraction of a second, so we are fine.

RAM is dedicated.
    There's 96GB on the host machine, and 1GB on each virtual machine.
    We do better than Boomer.

HDD is slightly oversold.
    There's 1TB on the host machine, and 40GB on each virtual machine.
    There are created as differential disks.
    All the virtual machine share a parent disk that is the OS image I made with compilers etc already installed, auto update disabled, swap disabled.
    Only sectors written into would consume space on the host.
    Since the freshmen aren't taught to apt-get, they wouldn't use up too much space.

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock