Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner setup SSD + HDD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner setup SSD + HDD

Hello,

Today I've ordered a Hetzner with SSD + 2xHDD disks and I am pulling my hair out due to trying to get things done with OS & / based only on SSD and /home based on RAID0 HDD. I am literally not able to achieve that, followed many guides and most of the time it's just not booting after using installimage script. The "best" result is when I got it booted but with a triple RAID0 and I am having issues with disabling that.

Does anyone have a recent guide how to perform that on Hetzner?

Thanks!

Comments

• in installimage disable swraid completely and only configure the ssd to hold / and swap and /boot or whatever you like it to be.

create the raid-0 with the two HDDs only afterwards via mdadm and mount it to /home.

if it does not start up with that, boot into rescue after the installation went through and mount your system, chroot into it and write grub to both of the HDDs as well...

• @Falzo said:
    in installimage disable swraid completely and only configure the ssd to hold / and swap and /boot or whatever you like it to be.

create the raid-0 with the two HDDs only afterwards via mdadm and mount it to /home.

if it does not start up with that, boot into rescue after the installation went through and mount your system, chroot into it and write grub to both of the HDDs as well...

What Falzo said.. wanted to write almost the same. Just install the system on the SSD first of all.

Thanked by 2Falzo silverkin
  • The thing is that when I am commenting out these 2 HDD drives and change SWRAID to 0 it simply does not boot right after clean install.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2021

@silverkin said:
    The thing is that when I am commenting out these 2 HDD drives and change SWRAID to 0 it simply does not boot right after clean install.

try to not comment them out, but leave them unconfigured, or just put a partition on it, that you later can remove.

the issue most likely is, that one of these HDDs is the first one in the boot order. and if installimage does not know, that it is there, it won't put grub on it.
    so while everything gets installed, you'll miss exactly what's needed for the bootup.

as said alternatively go into rescue right after that initial install and get grub rewritten to all three disks ;-)

PS: alternatively you'll need to request a lara KVM to be able and see what's going on and eventually access the bios to change the boot order manually.

Thanked by 2silverkin Hetzner_OL