Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to set up Virtualisation server advice.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to set up Virtualisation server advice.

Hello,

Hopefully posted in the correct area.

If you were to set up a server to create virtual servers. Does every VM have to have different IP addresses to the root server. I know it sounds like a silly question but I can't find any information on it when I've searched.

I also tried to set up Proxmox VE. It was fine but when creating the vms there was no OS images? I couldn't find a correct guide on why this was.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• dann00dann00 Member, Patron Provider

As for your IP question, you can use a NAT to enable VMs to use the same IP as apposed to assigning a IP per VM. Although this will require additional setup outside of the regular Proxmox install.

• Welcome to the rabbit hole of Proxmox! It's worth it, don't get me wrong, so dive in and have fun.

The first thing you want to do is look at setting up a bridge interface with NAT, there are plenty of guides, but I'll follow this thread and if it looks like you're stuck I'll see if I can point you to something more specific.

As for the OS images, if you are creating a "VM" which is also a KVM, you will need to add ISOs to your images (under storage). If you create a "CT" which is an LXC container, you will find there are templates you can download and install from the Proxmox Web UI.

• @dahartigan said:
    Welcome to the rabbit hole of Proxmox! It's worth it, don't get me wrong, so dive in and have fun.

The first thing you want to do is look at setting up a bridge interface with NAT, there are plenty of guides, but I'll follow this thread and if it looks like you're stuck I'll see if I can point you to something more specific.

As for the OS images, if you are creating a "VM" which is also a KVM, you will need to add ISOs to your images (under storage). If you create a "CT" which is an LXC container, you will find there are templates you can download and install from the Proxmox Web UI.

I won't lie. I taught myself cent OS with help from guides etc. So I'm still always learning. I just wanted a project to see if I could do it and how it was done, so I guess you could so I'm an amateur.

Does it need technical knowledge on setting up the bridge with NAT?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:
    Welcome to the rabbit hole of Proxmox! It's worth it, don't get me wrong, so dive in and have fun.

I won't lie. I taught myself cent OS with help from guides etc. So I'm still always learning. I just wanted a project to see if I could do it and how it was done, so I guess you could so I'm an amateur.

Haha, no worries, we all start there.

No technical knowledge needed.

The magic is in your "interfaces" file you can just copy/paste it in and make slight changes.

If you are using a VPS or a dedicated server, that might be helpful to know too.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2021
    auto vmbr0
    #private sub network
    iface vmbr0 inet static
            address  10.10.10.1/24
            bridge-ports none
            bridge-stp off
            bridge-fd 0

post-up   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
            post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o eno1 -j MASQUERADE
            post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o eno1 -j MASQUERADE

NOTE: It is super important you change any instance of eno1 in the above to what your interface is at the top of your interfaces file.

If you drop that into your /etc/network/interfaces file, and reboot the system, you'll see a new interface for your VM/CT to use called vmbr0

EDIT: Source: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration (Masquerading (NAT) with iptables)

Thanked by 1idleparty
  • MatthewLeighMatthewLeigh Member
    edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

The magic is in your "interfaces" file you can just copy/paste it in and make slight changes.

If you are using a VPS or a dedicated server, that might be helpful to know too.

I wasn't aware you could use a VPS to create a virtualisation server?. I thought it would have to be a dedicated server for the resources? But I could use either. Obviously a VPS would be cheaper for me to learn on first?

(edit on virtual server to virtualisation server)

• @MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

I wasn't aware you could use a VPS to create a virtual server. I thought it would have to be a dedicated server for the resources? But I could use either. Obviously a VPS would be cheaper for me to learn on first?

You certainly can, and whether you can create a VM (Emulates an entire computer, for example to run Windows) then the VPS would need to support something called "nested virtualization" which basically means that the VPS you buy has the technical ability to run a KVM within (rabbit hole is deep)

If you only wanted to create LXC containers (Linux containers - emulates Linux only) then you do not require nested virt to be enabled on your VPS because you aren't trying to nest virtualization.

If you're still following along, you've got this! If I lost you, please let me know and I'll clear it up.

I was being very careful to match the terms I used in my replies with the terms you'll see, and also to avoid falling too deep into the rabbit hole ;)

• @dahartigan said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

I wasn't aware you could use a VPS to create a virtual server. I thought it would have to be a dedicated server for the resources? But I could use either. Obviously a VPS would be cheaper for me to learn on first?

You certainly can, and whether you can create a VM (Emulates an entire computer, for example to run Windows) then the VPS would need to support something called "nested virtualization" which basically means that the VPS you buy has the technical ability to run a KVM within (rabbit hole is deep)

If you only wanted to create LXC containers (Linux containers - emulates Linux only) then you do not require nested virt to be enabled on your VPS because you aren't trying to nest virtualization.

If you're still following along, you've got this! If I lost you, please let me know and I'll clear it up.

I was being very careful to match the terms I used in my replies with the terms you'll see, and also to avoid falling too deep into the rabbit hole ;)

Is there a way to private message you (if that's allowed) so I don't continue to drag a thread about some bits I may not completely understand yet?

For example,
    Any vps server "should" be able to create Linux containers? Would i have to do anything to enable it to do this? Is there a way to check if a vps is nested or not, or is that something you do yourself?

It sounds like the rabbit hole is very deep indeed!

• @MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@dahartigan said:

Is there a way to private message you (if that's allowed) so I don't continue to drag a thread about some bits I may not completely understand yet?

For example,
    Any vps server "should" be able to create Linux containers? Would i have to do anything to enable it to do this? Is there a way to check if a vps is nested or not, or is that something you do yourself?

It sounds like the rabbit hole is very deep indeed!

I'd prefer to help openly as much as possible for the benefit of the community to learn along with, if you don't mind. I'm totally open to you sending me a PM with anything you'd prefer to not make public, for the purposes of helping.

Any VPS will be able to create Linux containers as long as the VPS you buy is a "KVM" type - you'll know at the time of purchase if it's a KVM or not.

Extra: The reason for that is that KVM will emulate (or more appropriately, virtualize) an entire computer and it's the type of VPS you need for this task.

Extra #2: When I said about a VPS having nested virtualization enabled or not, this would be something the provider would decide. What it means is that the main server's CPU has it's ability to run a KVM within a KVM (nesting) or not. There are some technical and business reasons that can prevent or prohibit nesting, so it's going to depend which provider you go with.

• I have tried this today with one of my older KVM vps's.

"Your CPU doesnt support Hardware Level Virtualization OR you havent enabled Virtualization from the BIOS. Please enable Virtualization from the BIOS and then RE-Run this installer"

This was using virtulizor.