Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


PCI Riser GPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

PCI Riser GPU

Hi,

I have a server in a Supermicro 512F-350B1 chassis. I am considering putting a videocard (GPU) in it, so I can run Wowza on it and transcode some streams.

So the chassis is 1U. I am wondering, can I use a PCI Riser Card and put on a small GPU on it horizontally? Did anyone do that and succeed? Or is it a bad idea? Why?

  • I do not run a hosting business. I just have two servers in a datacenter.

Comments

  • stratagemstratagem Member, Provider

    Yes will work provided the GPU isn’t too hefty.

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/Mini-1U/512/SC512F-350B1

    Your GPU must be "full height half length" or smaller.
    Many powerful GPUs are "double width" and they would not fit.

    PCI riser card model depends on the server model: even if the chassis is the same, different motherboards may need different riser card.
    The chassis link above has three associates server models.
    In "parts list" of each server model, there's a riser card model.
    Two different riser card models are listed for the three server models.

  • 1nf1nf Member

    PCI riser may cause your sever to explode. Stay vigilant.

  • @1nf said:
    PCI riser may cause your sever to explode. Stay vigilant.

    Holy fuck. I thought you were joking, until I googled it. Many people blew up their servers. Not willing to do that.

    Thanked by 11nf
  • 1nf1nf Member

    @DennisdeWit said:

    @1nf said:
    PCI riser may cause your sever to explode. Stay vigilant.

    Holy fuck. I thought you were joking, until I googled it. Many people blew up their servers. Not willing to do that.

    I was actually joking becuase of the recent frantech (and possibly greencloudvps) thread. You will probably be fine.

  • @1nf said:

    @DennisdeWit said:

    @1nf said:
    PCI riser may cause your sever to explode. Stay vigilant.

    Holy fuck. I thought you were joking, until I googled it. Many people blew up their servers. Not willing to do that.

    I was actually joking becuase of the recent frantech (and possibly greencloudvps) thread. You will probably be fine.

    Good to hear. I decided a PCI Riser Card won’t work, because of the position of the heatsink on the right. On the position on the left, it also won’t work, as the card is too broad.

    So I ordered a PCI Riser Cable. We will make an isolated mount and hang the card flat at an other place in the chassis. :)

  • @DennisdeWit said:

    @1nf said:

    @DennisdeWit said:

    @1nf said:
    PCI riser may cause your sever to explode. Stay vigilant.

    Holy fuck. I thought you were joking, until I googled it. Many people blew up their servers. Not willing to do that.

    I was actually joking becuase of the recent frantech (and possibly greencloudvps) thread. You will probably be fine.

    Good to hear. I decided a PCI Riser Card won’t work, because of the position of the heatsink on the right. On the position on the left, it also won’t work, as the card is too broad.

    So I ordered a PCI Riser Cable. We will make an isolated mount and hang the card flat at an other place in the chassis. :)

    keep in mind that cable could add signal integrity problems (especially in Gen4 mode)

    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • lentrolentro Member, Provider

    @DennisdeWit said: PCI Riser Cable

    Careful that you don't lose 3.0 x16 PCIe bandwidth with shitty miner risers that only transmit 1x and get shielded risers.

    Good luck!

  • DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited November 23

    @lentro said:

    @DennisdeWit said: PCI Riser Cable

    Careful that you don't lose 3.0 x16 PCIe bandwidth with shitty miner risers that only transmit 1x and get shielded risers.

    Good luck!

    Don’t worry, I am not buying shitty risers. I ordered a decent one. https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B08F2DLQDJ/ref=asc_df_B08F2DLQDJ1637666880000/?tag=tweakersnl-21&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B08F2DLQDJ&linkCode=asn&th=1

    CoolerMaster is a well known brand. Yes, it’s 30 euro’s. I don’t care about the higher price. I rather pay for good quality. :)

    @Andrews: Quadro K2200 seems to be PCI-e Gen 2. So it should be fine. Yup, the card is old. But I already have one on an ESXi machine for GPU passthrough and it works fine, even on Windows 11. I tested Wowza transcoding on Debian 11 buster yesterday. It worked flawlessly. This is why I chose the card.

Sign In or Register to comment.