Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Features you'd like to see in a VPN service? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Features you'd like to see in a VPN service?

2»

Comments

• @KermEd said:

@TimboJones said:

What? You just described how you use other services to do what you can do and also have advantage of controlling the IP instead of a provider potentially changing it on you. Plus, it protects your intellectual IP better as well.

I think you are confusing what I have and am able to do, with what I would like to see a VPN do for me and where I see a large opportunity for console game developers trying to find a VPN service.

Also - IP doesn't come into play here. The only thing going through that VPN is (ideally) the registration packets for the consoles.

It isn't about what an individual can setup in their basement but a scalable solution for studios. There is a problem, a company is already profiting off it but provides a limited service. My advice is to capitalize on it and take it further.

Some cities, where I am for example, are controlled by only 2 telecoms. So to get a static IP, you need to pay for an enhanced business service at 4x the cost (~150/m) but it only has about a fraction of the speed (25 up and down instead of 1,000). So we need to pay a VPN for a static IP or pay 150/m per team member and lose our high speed. Getting static IP's that are easy to configure for 250+ employees using consoles with varying network capabilities operating in 5 countries is not easy. My advice is to add a few features to make it easy.

That doesn't make much sense... But ok. For me, businesses are already on a business account so adding static IP is just $10 difference. Sounds like you're using residential service (residential can also pay for static IP on our ISPs) to get that speed and price. And not sure why you couldn't add service instead of replacing it, but ok.

But if you just need them to come from same IP, a $5/mo VPS is all you need. No fucking with internet plan. No paying for every user's VPN subscription.

There are a thousand ways to solve this problem. But a VPN that does it for us would just be a lot easier. Right now we all use a different VPN with less configuration options that I can 'make work'. But that wasn't the question - the question is what would I like to see in a VPN. I've answered. The question was never 'Does TimboJones think I should run my own proxy'.

Sure, but companies big and small have been rolling their own proxies for decades. Sounds like you're really small and have no dedicated IT. Depending on how often your existing office IP changes, you probably don't even need to pay for a static IP. My home cable service has my dynamic IP assigned to my account that stays across modem replacement. Still just one IP to update if it ever does change.

It's still unclear whether you want a VPN or proxy. But it's moot if you already pay for a static IP VPN that doesn't charge high prices. VPN Unlimited prices have come down a lot since I last looked years ago (north of $500/year) to $12.50/mo plus the VPN subscription.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited November 2021

@TimboJones said:

That doesn't make much sense...

I don't really care if you understand it to be honest, I've literally never asked your opinion on anything :D and you aren't the OP. A lot of your assumptions are off, I just don't have interest in going into it.

It's still unclear whether you want a VPN or proxy.

I don't want anything from you, I am perfectly fine with you not understanding what I'd love to see from a new VPN and why. I'm not asking for advice on configurations, I'm requesting hypothetical VPN features from the OP.

But it's moot if you already pay for a static IP VPN that doesn't charge high prices.

You missed the point. But you also injected yourself into my request that (to be frank) had nothing to do with you to give advice on a problem that doesn't exist in a place and network you don't understand - so I'm not surprised.

• @KermEd said:

@TimboJones said:

That doesn't make much sense...

I don't really care if you understand it to be honest, I've literally never asked your opinion on anything :D and you aren't the OP. A lot of your assumptions are off, I just don't have interest in going into it.

It's still unclear whether you want a VPN or proxy.

I don't want anything from you, I am perfectly fine with you not understanding what I'd love to see from a new VPN and why. I'm not asking for advice on configurations, I'm requesting hypothetical VPN features from the OP.

But it's moot if you already pay for a static IP VPN that doesn't charge high prices.

You missed the point. But you also injected yourself into my request that (to be frank) had nothing to do with you to give advice on a problem that doesn't exist in a place and network you don't understand - so I'm not surprised.

Holy pissed on corn flakes, Batman. Why so butthurt? This is purely trying to understand a feature request that is confusing for the reasons I mentioned. The thread is a feature request for a VPN service and you asked for a http proxy. That needs understanding and justification. This feature already exists if willing to pay and easily done self-hosted. This is exactly the forum to discuss self-hosted services rather than paying premium prices. It's perfectly reasonable to say "I don't have the time or energy I just want a reliable service".

You're not obligated to respond whatsoever.

• @TimboJones said:
    Why so butthurt?

My anus also does not want to talk to you and your subtly buried anti homosexual beliefs :D

This is purely trying to understand a feature request

Not at all, it was a series of patronizing dumb off topic comments from you. You aren't the OP.

That needs understanding and justification.

No, it doesn't.

This feature already exists

Maybe this is news to you - this thread is about VPNs, which quite literally already exist. It does not, however, exist with the OPs offering (oh right, there is actually a base subject here that isn't about you). Remember how I said this isn't about you? I can't repeat that enough :D

• My VPN wish list:
    1) If using provider's client--split tunnel (route local traffic locally)
    2) Easy to use without provider's client (e.g. on a router)
    2) Persistent reverse VPN tunnel (to be able to host a residential server)
    3) Wireguard
    4) Obfuscation of what protocol is being used
    4) Residential IP addresses (fixed and/or rotating)

• When I use a VPN, I only care about the privacy and the speed. So I will say focusing on supporting more types of protocols. And I am also interested in buying your VPN service since I know you guys care about privacy.

• Provide raw config file (OpenVPN, WireGuard, etc).

• @eeellama said:
    My VPN wish list:
    1) If using provider's client--split tunnel (route local traffic locally)
    2) Easy to use without provider's client (e.g. on a router)
    2) Persistent reverse VPN tunnel (to be able to host a residential server)
    3) Wireguard
    4) Obfuscation of what protocol is being used
    4) Residential IP addresses (fixed and/or rotating)

Perhaps also some locations in smaller towns than the typical NYC, DAL, LA, KC, etc.

• I have been noticing requests geolocated to McMurdo Station in Antarctica. These IP's are on iCloud's new VPN so it would be cool to have a Antarctica location. Probably useless but cool af.

• @KermEd said:
    Maybe this is news to you - this thread is about VPNs

Hello,McFly?! Then why would you request a proxy service when they asked for VPN features? That's why it's unclear if you know what you're talking about. You're pretty basic if you think developers can implement features without use cases or for managers to determine interest. My goodness, what a terse response. It's like you understand there are a thousand ways to do things and you're doing it the thousandth best way. But instead of going through the options, you take it as an attack on you. It wasn't.

• @TimboJones said:
    Hello,McFly?! Then why would you request a proxy service when they asked for VPN features? That's why it's unclear if you know what you're talking about. You're pretty basic if you think developers can implement features without use cases or for managers to determine interest. My goodness, what a terse response. It's like you understand there are a thousand ways to do things and you're doing it the thousandth best way. But instead of going through the options, you take it as an attack on you. It wasn't.

Absolute ego andy, not even 5 seconds into his post history you'll get that this is actually his character. Just move on.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited November 2021

@TimboJones said:

@KermEd said:
    Maybe this is news to you - this thread is about VPNs

instead of going through the options

Hello again :). As previously stated

@KermEd said:
    I'm not asking for advice on configurations

You seem to think we have a discussion going on that we don't.

I don't care if you feel a VPN provider should never look at providing proxy services. Some people in life see donuts (opportunities) some people only see the hole (problems) :D. Enjoy a life staring into holes.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

Absolute ego andy, not even 5 seconds into his post history you'll get that this is actually his character. Just move on.

I know, and believe me, I've been trying hard to forgive him for that. But it just doesn't always work out that way :D

• @1nf said:
    I have been noticing requests geolocated to McMurdo Station in Antarctica. These IP's are on iCloud's new VPN so it would be cool to have a Antarctica location. Probably useless but cool af.

I would also like to second this request because why not

• Residential IP's at affordable prices

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2021

damn so many interesting stuff to do with a vpn, i only use it when my personal ip is blocked from my own server xD