Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡ - Page 71
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡

Comments

• @default said:

@Nekki said:
    Because the dedi is where the magic happens. VPS is just for backup. No point having a backup server without anything to backup to it.

I am more a fan of VPS. Dedicated is nice, but I don't need it that much, unless it's some SBC server. Many times I found myself OK with just a VPS.

I often need to kick the living shit out of my cores and I want yo be able to do it with impunity and not worry about being a bad neighbour. I also have some trust issues.

Thanked by 2default PulsedMedia
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said: dedi is where the magic happens

I've got a dedi with 4x2tb which would give you 6tb with RAID5 (I better prepared for the lynching for suggesting RAID5 these days I know) but unfortunately it's sat in my garage not a DC.

@1nf said: Hey, how fat is the port on these?

1gbps (shared)

• I‘m missing terrahost dedis

• @Nekki said:

@default said:

@Nekki said:
    Because the dedi is where the magic happens. VPS is just for backup. No point having a backup server without anything to backup to it.

I am more a fan of VPS. Dedicated is nice, but I don't need it that much, unless it's some SBC server. Many times I found myself OK with just a VPS.

I often need to kick the living shit out of my cores and I want yo be able to do it with impunity and not worry about being a bad neighbour. I also have some trust issues.

You don't trust me? I feel betrayed. :'(

• where is @letbox ?

• @Mr_Tom said: I've got a dedi with 4x2tb which would give you 6tb with RAID5 (I better prepared for the lynching for suggesting RAID5 these days I know) but unfortunately it's sat in my garage not a DC.

RAID 5 is fine, it gives you a fighting chance of recovery at least, better than going balls-to-the-wall with RAID0. I've always got a backup elsewhere the important stuff anyway.

Don't worry about garage hosting, BuyVM used to host out of a basement and no-one noticed.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @1nf said:

@Nekki said:

@default said:

@Nekki said:

You don't trust me? I feel betrayed. :'(

I don't trust anyone, don't take it personally.

@Nekki said: Don't worry about garage hosting

It's not so much the location but the 60/20mbps line that I think people would soon notice lol.

• Need more offers!

• @PulsedMedia said:

@Hayashima said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@tjn said:

@MatthewLeigh said:
    Been waiting for some good deals. Not major deals though. But non have come up yet. There has been some great storage dedis but not within my price range.

I'm also looking for storage Dedi's. Have you seen/found anything other than, OneProvider, OVH, and Terrahost?

OK OK We will bite since it's LET and BF!
    There was some dedi cancels we have yet to sort out, so let's presell these! These will be setup for you by end of the year, if not during next week, email sales --- pulsedmedia.com to set this one up.

Available for pre-order: 4 total, no more will be sold. Reference this posting on the ticket.

Distro: Debian 10/11, Ubuntu 20.04. Includex 1x IPv4

• CPU: AMD Opteron 6core
    • RAM: 24GB ECC (Lucky winner might get 48G)
    • HDD: 4x18TB Toshiba Enterprise 7200rpm RAID0/5/10 your choice
    • NET: 1Gbps Unmetered
    • Price: 90€ a month (1.25€/TB/MONTH!!!), or if prepaid annually 72€/Month (1€/TB/MONTH!! WTF?!?)

I will sort out during the weekend who was the quickest and setup order for them.
    You can DM me here to setup order quicker. To get it quickest in create billing profile immediately, order any product but do not pay it, then open the ticket. Will cancel that needless order.

Is 20TB(or similar) disk doable?

Not at that € per TB rate.

How much it would be, I am very interested. Thank you!

• @Mr_Tom said: It's not so much the location but the 60/20mbps line that I think people would soon notice lol.

Fair play.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I'll be saying good by to 80/20 soon :D moving over to 1000/220 can't wait.

Yeah I've tried uploading ~6tb in one "hit" to sync some things and it's painful.

• @Jord said: I'll be saying good by to 80/20 soon moving over to 1000/220 can't wait.

Virgin or someone better?

@Jord said: 1000/220

1gbps where you are? Your copper aint gunna like that ;)

Thanked by 1Jord

@Nekki said:

@Jord said: I'll be saying good by to 80/20 soon moving over to 1000/220 can't wait.

Virgin or someone better?

OR fibre so none of that shitty Virgin crap.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @default said:

@Nekki said:

@PulsedMedia said: If they provide dedi with failing drives cannot you ask for refund or replacement of server/drives?

They won't give you the time of day until they fail, and to be fair, they might have a point, it might be years before the drives actually die, but I don't want that gamble.

You just gamble until next Black Friday. It's how it works.

The Hetzner auction things aren't BF deals. The drives may be old and well used (quick check on mine: power on time of 5.3Y, 5.2Y, 2.6Y, no signs of health concerns other than age, I've had the machine ~2Y).

Many times even RAID does not help.

Yep. Using soft R1 on there, but the important stuff (backups) is also held on a second location too in case I get a two-drive-fail, whole-machine-dead, or DC-up-in-smoke situation the rest is replaceable (a couple of VMs running things, which are themselves backed up in two elsewheres).

@Mr_Tom said:

@Jord said: 1000/220

1gbps where you are? Your copper aint gunna like that ;)

No it ain't, need some glass ;)

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said: They'll replace them when they fail sure, but not before. Not much use to me.

If they are working drives, what is the issue then? Surely if there are no errors, there is no issue.

I am curious, because we keep the tolerance generally at: SMART errors, are high number of reallocated/unrecoverable offline sectors.

That criteria has served us quite well, and we've never heard of a complaint. Then again, we generally also test all drives extensively between provisionings.

• @default said:

Thanked by 2ehab PulsedMedia
  • @PulsedMedia said: If they are working drives, what is the issue then? Surely if there are no errors, there is no issue.

No there are errors, but the drive hasn't actually failed yet.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said: They won't give you the time of day until they fail, and to be fair, they might have a point, it might be years before the drives actually die, but I don't want that gamble.

Sounds to me like you are going for SMART criteria which is not exactly indicative of pending failure? Backups are for this reason, it is extremely difficult to predict drive failures. I was just yesterday refreshing my memory of this doing some maths on the subject (failure rate of 4xHDD RAID0 vs 12xHDD RAID5) and re-read Google's research paper of how they as well failed to predict failures.

• @bubblefish said: Why are so >many people interested in many TB of storage on a server? I mean sure 1-2 Tb is nice, but why 20 or more?

• Next Flash Deals VisualWebTechnologies.com 2021

cPanel Hosting Package II
    Time to new cPanel Hosting offer

40 GB SSD Disk Space (PM me your order Number will Add extra 10GB Storage free )
    3 TB Monthly Transfer ( on me your order number will extra 1 Tb bandwidth free)
    Unlimited Databases
    Host 15 Domains
    Free SSL Certificates
    cPanel Control Panel
    Softaculous Script Installer
    Nginx Web Server
    Price:13.99$ per year
    STOCK: ONLY 5
    **Order Link: ** https://billing.visualwebtechnologies.com/store/black-friday2021/cpanel-pro1

Thanks

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • naranjatechnaranjatech Member, Patron Provider

FLASH SALE - 8GB NVMe VPS - 60 €/year

• 8 GB RAM
    • 4 CPU Cores (AMD EPYC 7452)
    • 120 GB NVMe
    • 20 TB Traffic
    • 1 Gbps port speed
    • 1 IPv4
    • /64 IPv6
    • KVM
    • Dronten - The Netherlands

60 €/year (+vat if applicable)

Coupon Code: VF2G0J5VJW

Quantity: 10 (First to pay will get the VPS)

ORDER HERE

@Nekki said: No there are errors, but the drive hasn't actually failed yet.

I've got that on a Hetzner box. The drives hit just over 78k hours and reset back to 0 which makes it even worse for trying to get replacement lol. They still work though.

• @Mr_Tom come on. $12/year. Let's make it happen. We talked about it on IRC.

• @naranjatech said:

FLASH SALE - 8GB NVMe VPS - 60 €/year

• 8 GB RAM
    • 4 CPU Cores (AMD EPYC 7452)
    • 120 GB NVMe
    • 20 TB Traffic
    • 1 Gbps port speed
    • 1 IPv4
    • /64 IPv6
    • KVM
    • Dronten - The Netherlands

60 €/year (+vat if applicable)

Coupon Code: VF2G0J5VJW

Quantity: 10 (First to pay will get the VPS)

ORDER HERE

out of my budget

Thanked by 2naranjatech sgno1

And like I said on IRC, not likely to happen.

This discussion has been closed.