Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Many VMs can I create Using Oracle Cloud Free Tier?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How Many VMs can I create Using Oracle Cloud Free Tier?

Hey guys,
I'm a bit confused about the number of VMs I can create on the Oracle Cloud free tier? Is it 2 VMsor 3?

From their resource:

Micro instances (AMD processor): All tenancies get two Always Free VM instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape, which has an AMD processor.

Ampere A1 Compute instances (Arm processor): All tenancies get the first 3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month for free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm processor. For Always Free tenancies, this is equivalent to 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory.

SO, Is it a total of 3 VMs right?
But when I try to create a 3rd VM ( I already have one A1 and one E2.1.Micro), It says "Service limit will be reached. Upgrade your account or manage resources." Am i doing anything wrong?

Comments

• @dennislorren said:
    Hey guys,
    I'm a bit confused about the number of VMs I can create on the Oracle Cloud free tier? Is it 2 VMsor 3?

From their resource:

Micro instances (AMD processor): All tenancies get two Always Free VM instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape, which has an AMD processor.

Ampere A1 Compute instances (Arm processor): All tenancies get the first 3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month for free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm processor. For Always Free tenancies, this is equivalent to 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory.

SO, Is it a total of 3 VMs right?
    But when I try to create a 3rd VM ( I already have one A1 and one E2.1.Micro), It says "Service limit will be reached. Upgrade your account or manage resources." Am i doing anything wrong?

service limit will be reached... but not crossed

in other words, it means, that if you perform this action (creating 3rd one) you will have max number of allowed A1/E2.1.Micro respectively

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2021

You have 4 cores/24gb overall limit for ARM. You can divide resources to 2/3/4VM.
    If you want 4VM then they will have 1core & 6gb ram. If you want 2VM then 2core & 12gb. You can also just make one big 4core & 24GB instance.

You can also get 2x VM with EPYC, 1OCPU & 1GB RAM. Its seperate from ARM.

So overall 4x ARM + 2x EPYC
    Thats 6 VM maximum, but theres one gotcha!

Boot volume for one VM is 47GB minimum and you have 200GB available to your whole account. That means you can get up to 4VM, because you dont have space for 5th. If you make 200GB boot volume then you can make just one instance.

I hope its clear.

• Thanks, I was worried for a moment that I messed up somewhere.

• @AXYZE said:
    You have 4 cores/24gb overall limit for ARM. You can divide resources to 2/3/4VM.
    If you want 4VM then they will have 1core & 6gb ram. If you want 2VM then 2core & 12gb. You can also just make one big 4core & 24GB instance.

Boot volume for one VM is 47GB minimum and you have 200GB available to your whole account. That means you can get up to 4VM, because you dont have space for 5th. If you make 200GB boot volume then you can make just one instance.

I hope its clear.

It is also worth adding that there are only 2 free IP addresses, so even if you want to make more machines than 2, you have to use NAT.

• 4 VMs, two arm and two amd

• @Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

I hope its clear.

It is also worth adding that there are only 2 free IP addresses, so even if you want to make more machines than 2, you have to use NAT.

You have old info bro, they are offering 6 free IP now :)

"All tenancies get six public IPv4 addresses for Always Free compute instances. "
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

• @AXYZE said:

@Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

I hope its clear.

"All tenancies get six public IPv4 addresses for Always Free compute instances. "
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

I got this error every time:
    "The following service limits were exceeded: reserved-public-ip-count. Request a service limit increase from the service limits page in the console."

• Worth noting that ARM instances have 30 days lifespan.

• @IziD said:
    Worth noting that ARM instances have 30 days lifespan.

not true

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @IziD said:

The instance is blocked only once after 30 days (when the trial ends and the account changes to always free), which does not change the fact that it is enough to connect the disk to a new instance and it works.

Thanked by 1IziD
  • @Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

@Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

I hope its clear.

"The following service limits were exceeded: reserved-public-ip-count. Request a service limit increase from the service limits page in the console."

Hmmm... I have 3 VPSes personally and they have own public IP. No idea why its not working for you... maybe your account is very old and they didnt automatically bumped your limit for some reason?

• IziDIziD Member
    edited November 2021

@Hotmarer said:

@IziD said:

The instance is blocked only once after 30 days (when the trial ends and the account changes to always free), which does not change the fact that it is enough to connect the disk to a new instance and it works.

@Andrews said: not true

Sounds like a badly implemented policy. Or maybe they've indeed relaxed the rules, previously 30 days limit was a real thing.

• 6 VMs, 4 arm and 2 amd

• @louiejordan said:
    6 VMs, 4 arm and 2 amd

not true as well

it was said planty of times: you can't have 6 VMs on Free Tier, as each of them require 50GB (exactly 47GB) boot disk, while total limit is 200GB

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @IziD said:

Sounds like a badly implemented policy. Or maybe they've indeed relaxed the rules, previously 30 days limit was a real thing.

I just had a read of https://www.oracle.com/uk/cloud/free/

Resources identified as Always Free will not be reclaimed. After your Free Trial expires, you'll continue to be able to use and manage your existing Always Free resources, and can create new Always Free resources according to tenancy limits.

However, Ampere A1 Compute instances are disabled when your trial ends and then deleted (terminated) after 30 days, unless you upgrade to a paid account. To continue using Arm-based compute instances as an Always Free user, you must delete your existing Ampere A1 Compute instances and create new Ampere A1 Compute instances.

• So, I've kind of resisted signing up for the Oracle Cloud, because I keep thinking I might want to try out the things that could be bought with the $300 of free credit later down the line, but having discovered they have Arm VPS instances, pretty well specced and in the Always Free tier, I'm tempted to just sign up so I can play with them. Before I do, though, I just thought I'd find out if they get upset with you running your own database in the VM instances rather than paying for their managed MySQL instances on top... Or is it just like any other VM and you can do what you like with it as long as it's legal?

• @Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

@Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

I hope its clear.

you are both right, you only can reserve 2 IPs, but can use another 4 not reserved.

Reserved IPs can not rotate and assign to another tenant if you delete the node assigned to it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2021

@ralf said: I just thought I'd find out if they get upset with you running your own database in the VM instances rather than paying for their managed MySQL instances on top... Or is it just like any other VM and you can do what you like with it as long as it's legal?

You can do w/e you like. Pretty sure there is some MySQL database included in "Free Tier" also - so if your thing will be small enough you can use theirs managed one for free.

EDIT: No, there is not. There are only those enterprise things.

Your choice of Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing, Autonomous Data Warehouse, Autonomous JSON Database, or APEX Application Development. Two databases total, each with 1 OCPU** and 20 GB storage.

NoSQL Database with 133 million reads per month, 133 million writes per month, 25 GB storage per table, up to 3 tables.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2021

@Hotmarer said:

@AXYZE said:

I hope its clear.

5, no?

Edit: 6 including two reserved is news to me, sweet!

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited November 2021

My ARM instances is still running after 30 days no cost to me, mine never stopped probably due to me upgrading my account to pay as you go paid account since I use some non free stuff at Oracle.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • The new wording in their FAQ now is:

However, if you have more Ampere A1 Compute instances provisioned than are available for an Always Free tenancy, all existing Ampere A1 instances are disabled and then deleted after 30 days, unless you upgrade to a paid account. To continue using your existing Arm-based instances as an Always Free user, before your trial ends, ensure that your total use of OCPUs and memory across all the Ampere A1 Compute instances in your tenancy is within the Always Free limit.

https://www.oracle.com/uk/cloud/free/https://oracle.com/uk/cloud/free/

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • miaumiau Member
    edited April 2022

@AXYZE said:

Is this vary by region?
    My Singapore instances gets only 700mb (683M) ram and like 50mbps port speed.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Ananchoreta said:
    The new wording in their FAQ now is:

However, if you have more Ampere A1 Compute instances provisioned than are available for an Always Free tenancy, all existing Ampere A1 instances are disabled and then deleted after 30 days, unless you upgrade to a paid account. To continue using your existing Arm-based instances as an Always Free user, before your trial ends, ensure that your total use of OCPUs and memory across all the Ampere A1 Compute instances in your tenancy is within the Always Free limit.

https://www.oracle.com/uk/cloud/free/https://oracle.com/uk/cloud/free/

Probably for new accounts as I am still testing my A1 VM as personally never had ARM based server/instance

• @miau said:

>

Is this vary by region?
    My Singapore instances gets only 700mb (683M) ram and like 50mbps port speed.

It is 682.65 MiB net memory with my instance, Oracle OS 8.5/Germany
    128 MiB are reserved for kdump, the missing rest I do not know.
    Network performance is ~450 Mbits/sec up- and download.

@WebProject said:
    Probably for new accounts as I am still testing my A1 VM as personally never had ARM based server/instance

Was more ment as an information, that the ARM VMs will not get disabled automatically anymore after 30d, when they are not above the free tier range.

For old accounts that obviously makes no difference.

• miaumiau Member
    edited April 2022

@Ananchoreta said: It is 682.65 MiB net memory with my instance, Oracle OS 8.5/Germany

128 MiB are reserved for kdump, the missing rest I do not know.
    Network performance is ~450 Mbits/sec up- and download.

How nice. Mine in SG is really capped at 50mbps

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 47.5 Mbits/sec  | 47.7 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 48.2 Mbits/sec  | 48.5 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 44.6 Mbits/sec  | 45.6 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 51.1 Mbits/sec  | 51.2 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 46.3 Mbits/sec  | 46.1 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 44.0 Mbits/sec  | 45.6 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 47.4 Mbits/sec  | 47.9 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | 41.2 Mbits/sec