Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Looking for fast reverse proxy script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Looking for fast reverse proxy script

Nginx comes with reverse proxy but it's kind of slow on gallery sites such as deviantart so I'm wondering if there are scripts to make reverse proxy faster on sites with lots of images on the page?

Comments

  • Have you tried haproxy?

    Thanked by 1doughnet
  • @dahartigan said:
    Have you tried haproxy?

    I second this.

    Anyone tried litespeed as a proxy maybe?

  • @Ruriko I'm using both nginx and haproxy.
    For reverse proxy purpose, I don't notice any difference with 20-30k requests per second.

    Can you describe more about the slowness with nginx?

  • @comXyz said:
    @Ruriko I'm using both nginx and haproxy.
    For reverse proxy purpose, I don't notice any difference with 20-30k requests per second.

    Can you describe more about the slowness with nginx?

    good man

  • @Ruriko said:
    Nginx comes with reverse proxy but it's kind of slow on gallery sites such as deviantart so I'm wondering if there are scripts to make reverse proxy faster on sites with lots of images on the page?

    Enable HTTP 2.0

  • @lanefu said:

    @Ruriko said:
    Nginx comes with reverse proxy but it's kind of slow on gallery sites such as deviantart so I'm wondering if there are scripts to make reverse proxy faster on sites with lots of images on the page?

    Enable HTTP 2.0

    Why not http 3.0?

  • @LTniger said: Why not http 3.0?

    because reality's a bitch

  • Try Caddy!

  • I once used perlbal, it's really a script.

  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2021

    If you want to push even pretty small 200kB images then 1000 of them per second = 200MB/s so basically you're using 1.6Gb/s. And thats "just" 1000 images. Nginx reverse proxy is blazing fast, you can push 20k+ req/s on good VPS so you are sure that nginx is the problem, not the configuration or size of images?

    Good technique for Nginx is short cache on RAM with tmpfs + long cache on NVMe.

    If that doesn't work and site is global then make seperate "cache servers" around the world and get Anycast.

    Or just get CDN

    Or provider that has better routes to your visitors, because maybe you can achieve good speeds in speedtest, but route to some ISPs can be heavily throttled. I got this problem once already.

    Thanked by 1tjn
  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited November 2021

    Don't think anyone has properly clarified but Nginx reverse proxy can also do proxy caching via proxy_cache directives. Proxy caching will scale your static file serving better than non-cached Nginx proxying.

    Read https://docs.nginx.com/nginx/admin-guide/content-cache/content-caching/ :)

    I've managed to push Centmin Mod Nginx reverse proxy non-cache and proxy caching to between 80,000 to 350,000 concurrent connections/s on a single E3-1270v5/1270v6 with 10Gbps network connectivity being the limit capping the connection/request rate. I've also pushed my custom Haproxy reverse proxy build to the same limits as Nginx on the same server. So Haproxy is very capable too given that it has it's own caching too now.

  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2021

    @eva2000 said:
    Don't think anyone has properly clarified but Nginx reverse proxy can also do proxy caching via proxy_cache directives. Proxy caching will scale your static file serving better than non-cached Nginx proxying.

    Read https://docs.nginx.com/nginx/admin-guide/content-cache/content-caching/ :)

    I've managed to push Centmin Mod Nginx reverse proxy non-cache and proxy caching to between 80,000 to 350,000 concurrent connections/s on a single E3-1270v5/1270v6 with 10Gbps network connectivity being the limit capping the connection/request rate. I've also pushed my custom Haproxy reverse proxy build to the same limits as Nginx on the same server. So Haproxy is very capable too given that it has it's own caching too now.

    I mentioned caching above, but still thank you for all your work with Centminmod ♥️ Used for long time, best "panel" I could find, but I jumped to other distros because of outdated kernel in CentOS7 :(((

  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited November 2021

    @AXYZE said: Used for long time, best "panel" I could find, but I jumped to other distros because of outdated kernel in CentOS7

    Cheers, understandable though that's what ELRepo is for http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml :)

    i.e. https://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_install_kernel_5_x_on_CentOS_7

    yum --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="elrepo-kernel" list available | grep kernel-ml
    kernel-ml.x86_64                        5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-devel.x86_64                  5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-doc.noarch                    5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-headers.x86_64                5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-tools.x86_64                  5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-tools-libs.x86_64             5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-tools-libs-devel.x86_64       5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    
  • @eva2000 said:

    @AXYZE said: Used for long time, best "panel" I could find, but I jumped to other distros because of outdated kernel in CentOS7

    Cheers, understandable though that's what ELRepo is for http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml :)

    i.e. https://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_install_kernel_5_x_on_CentOS_7

    yum --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="elrepo-kernel" list available | grep kernel-ml
    kernel-ml.x86_64                        5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-devel.x86_64                  5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-doc.noarch                    5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-headers.x86_64                5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-tools.x86_64                  5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-tools-libs.x86_64             5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    kernel-ml-tools-libs-devel.x86_64       5.15.1-1.el7.elrepo        elrepo-kernel
    

    Will this be 100% compatible with Centminmod tweaks etc.?

  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited November 2021

    @AXYZE said: Will this be 100% compatible with Centminmod tweaks etc.?

    Depends on the server config - you'd want to be using dedicated server or KVM based VPS. I know it works fine on Upcloud KVM VPS with Centmin Mod + Elrepo. Linode KVM VPS already have native Linux 5.x Kernel support for all VPSes

Sign In or Register to comment.